Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

enz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 11:38 pm

So wikipedia says ps5 has 699 games, and the xbox series has 439 games but the switch has 4670 games. Are AAA games too expensive and take too long to make?

Hopefully Nintendo doesn't botch up the switch 2 when it comes out or pc will be the only videogame medium. I miss the days when xbox or playstation were serious contenders

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 4:13 pm

Very interesting subject you bought up! Me and my best friend talk about this whenever we are over. I think AAA titles definitely take longer to make and are expensive and a huge investment for Developers. A lot of "shovel ware" unfortunately gets released as well. There is also I know alot of debate where "DLC" comes into play and "microtransactions". Me and my friend still think physical media was great with games because the game was complete. Those days though I think unfortunately are over and streaming games and DLC is the future. It's strange seeing where things are from the original Playstation and the good ole days of SNES and Sega Genesis. Great topic!

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 4:51 pm

Brian0787 wrote:
There is also I know alot of debate where "DLC" comes into play and "microtransactions". Me and my friend still think physical media was great with games because the game was complete. Those days though I think unfortunately are over and streaming games and DLC is the future. It's strange seeing where things are from the original Playstation and the good ole days of SNES and Sega Genesis. Great topic!

I avoid games like a plague if they have microtransactions in a full price single player game. Not too keen on "DLC" where they simply flick a switch in there code instead of creating new content.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 5:27 pm

enz wrote:
Brian0787 wrote:
There is also I know alot of debate where "DLC" comes into play and "microtransactions". Me and my friend still think physical media was great with games because the game was complete. Those days though I think unfortunately are over and streaming games and DLC is the future. It's strange seeing where things are from the original Playstation and the good ole days of SNES and Sega Genesis. Great topic!

I avoid games like a plague if they have microtransactions in a full price single player game. Not too keen on "DLC" where they simply flick a switch in there code instead of creating new content.

I don't blame you. It's funny because my friend said the same exact thing. Me and my friend made the exact same comment too about "DLC". It's nice to see someone who has similar views.

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

somethingdifficult
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Sep 2024, 5:17 pm

pc will have the most amount of games in any given moment. console gaming is based off corporations wanting you to buy a new console every now and then, so they don't really focus on games, they need to have a couple big titles, advertise them at all costs and wait for people to buy xbox 58 for call of duty 154 reborn lol, that is what usually takes it.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 2:17 am

somethingdifficult wrote:
pc will have the most amount of games in any given moment. console gaming is based off corporations wanting you to buy a new console every now and then, so they don't really focus on games, they need to have a couple big titles, advertise them at all costs and wait for people to buy xbox 58 for call of duty 154 reborn lol, that is what usually takes it.

that's true of Xbox and Playstation but not Nintendo. Only example I can think of with Nintendo is there 2d Mario games which were stagnant for about 10 years

somethingdifficult
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Sep 2024, 8:28 pm

think about it like that. you can run any game on pc (depending on your skill or willing to pirate stuff), but not the other way around. consoles will always have less games and be more focused on the next console release itself

enz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2024, 12:09 am

the average person wants it to work out of the box instead of building it. And consoles are a lot cheaper

somethingdifficult wrote:
consoles will always have less games and be more focused on the next console release itself

that's right they are trying to sell a new console because they make both the hardware and the games and want to turn a profit.