Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 3:12 pm

Today I beat Planescape:Torment (I know ,it's so old) , an old PC RPG that I never played it before when i was kid but I heard a lot about how great it is so 3 months ago i decided to get a copy and try it Laughing .
I was hooked to this game and it reminds me of the old epic rpgs that I played like Baldur's gate and fallout , after beating this game today I realized a sad fact : The new RPGs suck big time . I also realized that after playing some old PS RPGs on PSP like xenogears and FF7 and chrono trigger.

It's true that games like Kotor and Oblivion have stunning graphics but their storyline suck big time(well maybe Kotor's story wasn't that bad but it was too short) ...even Fables' story sucked big time. Nowadays RPGS are focused on cinematic and graphics much more than the plot and storyline ...but what an RPG without plot? What's worse ...that some new RPGs are very short like Kotor2 and NWN2 . In Nwn2 the world was too small ..and too few side quests and even the main quest sucked .

I really don't remember a good RPG came out after Baldur's gate 2 and what's more sad that the new rpgs are not seem improving but they are getting worse . It seems that companies are focusing on a eye candy strategy to sell their games .....but heck RPG is like like First-shooter games , the storyline must still the most important element in any RPG.

What do you think gamers?Am I right or I am just old-fashioned? I am sure that I am not old-fashioned because I love the new RTS and FPS ...but the new RPGs are disappointing :?

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 9:09 am

The new RPGs suck because there's to much focus on multiplayer these days. If you love good RPGs, then I recomend Gothic and Gothic II (haven't played the 3rd one). Both these games have excellent stories, but somewhat out-of-date graphics. :D

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 1:52 pm

^^ exactly , companies today are focusing on MMORPGs now but I never liked them :? I don't believe they are even true RPGs ! ! The MMORPGs usually have no stroyline but it's just bunch of players in a virtual fantasy world who compete or cooperate with each others in doing 'quests' to gain xp so in order to level up and beat others (or to beat the other 'teams) ...this is all about MMORPGs ,there's no main storyline .

Storyline was always the major element of a true RPG and this element doesn't exist in MMORPGs hence why i don't like them.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 6:11 am

I think all RPG's should have multiplayer, maybe not like MMORPG's but at least battles against other players. I'm sure many people will disagree with me though.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 9:40 am

I don't care about the age of a game. It's the gameplay that matters. Though I must admit I'm a little weary of the new direction of FF.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 7:15 pm

Cutter, Planescape is one of the finest games ever made. Anyone who disagrees, bar that. Ditto for Arcanum.

Seriously, I totally agree. I LOATH new RPG's. I don't even think their graphics are decent. I need great writing in my RPG's, that's why I like the old ones in the first place. I want to actually ROLEPLAY, not just assign stats--choose between dialogue options, mold my character based on them, get lost in an amazing story with amazing characters. KOTOR was better at this than some (especially The Elder Scrolls with its "characters" who all use the same dialogue), but yeah, I agree.

Most modern RPG's are either:
1) Turn based combat type ones (TERRIBLE BUT FREQUENT COMBAT; AUTOMATICALLY sh***y)
2) Diablo clones (sh***y STORY, NO ACTUAL ROLEPLAYING; AUTOMATICALLY sh***y)
3) Oblivion wannabes (BIG WORLD FULL OF NOTHING; AUTOMATICALLY sh***y)
4) MMORPG's (MONTHLY FEES; AUTOMATICALLY sh***y)
5) Buggy as hell (AUTOMATICALLY sh***y...though I did like Vampire Bloodlines despite the bugs)

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2007, 11:36 pm

This is basically what is happening.

I haven't played any game even close to Baldur's gate 1/2(Planescape Torment in 2nd). And not to mention Icewind Dale in 3rd. And Games like Golden Sun 1/2. Zelda-Orcarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Tales of Symphonia. And Baiten Kaitos.

yes, there are a lot of RPG's I have spent a lot of time on.

Knights of the Old Republic is suppose to be good, but I don't own an xbox and my computer is a piece of junk and I'm not going to upgrade it to play games when I want to get into med school :).

From what I understand, KOTOR and Jade Empire are the only good 3d RRG's. I honestly am really interested in jade Empire because of the Asian Theme.

Neverwinter Nights was okay, didn't bother to try the 2nd one.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 6:13 am

Nwn2 sucks .... but I am playing its expansion : Mask of the Betrayer , not a bad game ...it's surprisingly MUCH BETTER than NWN2!! ! much much better! ...the storyline has much been improved and the world and side quests are much more as well the characters' development . Its storyline is inspired from Torment btw and there's a lot of Torment elements like planes , dream-hags and Gith legends in this game.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 6:14 am

Brian003 wrote:
This is basically what is happening.

I haven't played any game even close to Baldur's gate 1/2(Planescape Torment in 2nd). And not to mention Icewind Dale in 3rd. And Games like Golden Sun 1/2. Zelda-Orcarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Tales of Symphonia. And Baiten Kaitos.

yes, there are a lot of RPG's I have spent a lot of time on.

Knights of the Old Republic is suppose to be good, but I don't own an xbox and my computer is a piece of junk and I'm not going to upgrade it to play games when I want to get into med school :).

From what I understand, KOTOR and Jade Empire are the only good 3d RRG's. I honestly am really interested in jade Empire because of the Asian Theme.

Neverwinter Nights was okay, didn't bother to try the 2nd one.

KOTOR was good ...but it was too short!

overflow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2007, 1:29 pm

I loved the Diablo series, Dungeon Siege and most recently, FF XII, but my heart lies with true old-school turn-based games like Ulitma III/IV, Bard's Tale I-III and, of course, the D&D Gold Box series.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 5:26 pm

LPP - Have you tried the Fallout games? Also good older RPGs. also they made KOTOR 2 and Jade Empire is supposed to be like KOTOR.

For me also, it does seem like the only good RPGs still coming out are the ones from Bioware, like Mass Effect which should be pretty cool. JRPGs have mostly lost my interest nowadays because it just seems like Action games have surpassed them as far as linear storytelling goes. I mean when I play something like Prince of Persia, Half-Life, God of War, I feel like I'm playing out a role in a movie, where as with JRPGs nowadays I feel like I'm watching a movie that goes on FOREVER and then occasionally I get to push a button. And its like I'm not getting anything out of the experience that I couldn't get out of reading a book, besides the repetitious battling.

I disagree about MMORPGs though, I enjoyed building up my characters a LOT more when I knew that they were part of a public gamespace that others could see. Where-as when playing a single-player RPG I finish the game and then I have to throw away all my work when I play the sequel or whatever which makes you wonder if it was worth the effort.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 7:18 pm

Is Fallout 2 still availible? Would it run on modern computers?

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 7:42 pm

I'm sure it'll still run, but you'd have to track down a used copy somewhere. :(

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 4:05 pm

I've played fallout 2 and i still own it ;) ....one of the greatest RPGs , it's even cooler than Baldur's gate in some aspects . Fallout 3 probably will look like halo :mad:

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 4:11 pm

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
LPP - Have you tried the Fallout games? Also good older RPGs. also they made KOTOR 2 and Jade Empire is supposed to be like KOTOR.

For me also, it does seem like the only good RPGs still coming out are the ones from Bioware, like Mass Effect which should be pretty cool. JRPGs have mostly lost my interest nowadays because it just seems like Action games have surpassed them as far as linear storytelling goes. I mean when I play something like Prince of Persia, Half-Life, God of War, I feel like I'm playing out a role in a movie, where as with JRPGs nowadays I feel like I'm watching a movie that goes on FOREVER and then occasionally I get to push a button. And its like I'm not getting anything out of the experience that I couldn't get out of reading a book, besides the repetitious battling.

I disagree about MMORPGs though, I enjoyed building up my characters a LOT more when I knew that they were part of a public gamespace that others could see. Where-as when playing a single-player RPG I finish the game and then I have to throw away all my work when I play the sequel or whatever which makes you wonder if it was worth the effort.

I've played recently xenogears and tales of eternia on psp ....very great games (although xenogears disk 2 was terrible) . Never tried the new jRPGs tho.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 4:13 am

Classic RPGs rule!

I hate MMORPGs, but I like multiplayer RPGs, for example Final Fantasy IV for Play Station (you can use the 2 players mode in battles, it's funny).