Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dragontigress
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2008, 9:56 am

Any obscure video games (e.g. not really widely known) that you like? Here are a few of mine:
Keitai Denjuu Telefang (Seriously, it isn't that bad)
Marvel vs. Capcom (This rocks, I wonder if anybody got the second game in the series emulated yet)
Knuckles Chaotix (This seriously has the best music ever)
Some Godzilla game for the GBA (Don't remember the name...but I was always Mothra and beat up Rodans for no reason)

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 10:07 am

If I had my old intellevision I'd still be playing Snafu and Utopia. Those were good games.

I also liked Tengen Tetris for the NES. It's not all that obscure because it is just tetris, but the Tengen version was very rare and I liked it better than nintendo's.

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Princess Maker, but unfortunately it's very hard to find good english translations of the game. I would just die if they made a good adaptation of that for a current gaming system.

Linebeck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2008, 11:37 am

I have a Nintendo Virtual Boy and my favourite game on that is VB Wario Land

Starscream
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jul 2008, 2:15 pm

i enjoy playing Clockwork Knight for the Saturn

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 2:25 pm

I could probably list a billion games, but "obscure" is pretty subjective in videogame terms...one game might be obscure because it was only released on PC and not any consoles...another one might've only been released for an obscure console...another one might be considered obscure only because kids these days are too young to have known it.

There's also Underdogs, games that were great and well known, but didn't sell very well...Home of the Underdogs has tons and tons of greats.

Not to mention cult games, like EarthBound...when the second game came out, literally only my friend and I had played it or even heard of it...nowadays, thanks to Smash Bros. and emulation, it seems like you'll be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't heard of the series.

I've been playing STALKER a lot lately. It's obscure in the sense that it was created by a low-key development group in the Ukraine, and it hit the bargain bins pretty fast and hard, but almost everyone I know online has it.

flipflopjenkins
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2008, 4:57 pm

I once played a neat game called Xor round a friend's house. It was on an old Basic computer. Each level was just a set of logic puzzles, but I thought it was great.
I try searching for info about it online and all I get is a load of stuff about Xor logic gates.

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 5:45 pm

Herdy Gerdy (PS2) - Great music
G-Surfers (PS2) - Great level editor
Gripshift (PSP)
Uplink (PC) - Not the Half-Life demo, but the hacking game
Monopoly Tycoon (PC) - Made by a studio not too far away from where I live

RogueProcess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2008, 5:45 pm

Starfox 2 - Never released but BRILLIANT!!

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2008, 7:14 pm

MDK-It has its fans, and did well enough to get a sequel (Which was great too BTW), but it never got the love it deserved. Had great gameplay, fun weapons (The world's most interesting bomb FTW!), and was very funny.

Dead to Rights-Many folks write this off as a Max Payne knock off, but honestly I had more fun with this game than I did with Max Payne. IMO, it did a better job of capturing the feel of a John Woo style gun fight than Max Payne did. Not only could you dive in the air is slow-motion, but you could also perform disarming moves on bad guys, or use them as human shields. This game does a great job of making you feel like you were the star of a action movie.

Shadow Warrior-This game was made by the same guys who made Duke Nukem 3d. Its also one of the funniest games I've played from the dialog ("You are so stupid! You cannot find @$$ with both hands!"), to some of the secret stuff you find. For example, you can find the killer rabbit from Monty Python and The Holy Grail, and yes you can use the holy hand grenade of Antioch on it. Not to mention you can use a nuke as a weapon.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 12:56 am

Mage wrote:
If I had my old intellevision I'd still be playing Snafu and Utopia. Those were good games.

Snafu I don't know, Utopia was a great game.

Omega Tank Simulator(C64)
Pirates!(C64)
SpinDizzy(C64)
The last Ninja(C64)
Sentinel(C64)

XCom 486/Dos
Syndicate on the 486/Dos
Bioforge(not the same as Bioshock) on the 586.

L.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 3:16 am

I never played the original Princess Maker, but I played Princess Maker 2 which I thoroughly enjoyed. I played through it several times until I could get good endings, I think one time I got her to be a general, another time a queen, although once I made her a dominatrix, which I think is one of the bad endings. Ended up with that ending because I kept making her work at the bar, which earnt the most money. There was a Princess Maker 3 as well, but it never has been translated to my knowledge.

I liked Earthbound, but I'm not a huge fan. The humour was good but the gameplay was pretty dull to be honest.

I like Uplink, as do I like the rest of Introversion's games. DEFCON being my absolute favourite.

My addition to this lineup of games is Jagged Alliance 1/2. They're the absolute best example of a tactical strategy RPG I've ever played. Nothing else I've ever played has come close to these games.

Another I have to add is Cave Story. Sure it's been mentioned more than a few times here but I don't think it's all that well known. Easily on par with Super Metroid, the closest counterpart I can think of.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 10:06 am

TES3: Morrowind. It never truly reached a level of prominence like Oblivion did, and most people only heard about it (as well as Arena and Daggerfall) because they look at the box that says "The Elder Scrolls IV" and think "hmm, there must have been a TES1, 2, and 3"... I ended up getting Morrowind back in 2002, so I had known about it for some time before Oblivion came out...

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 6:06 pm

anybody ever here of vectorman?

Lavos
Raven
Raven

29 Jul 2008, 6:12 pm

The entire Mother/Earthbound series.
I just got Mother 3 (earthbound sequel) and it is incredible. It is only available in japanese, though.
There is a website that has the translation for literally all of the text in the game, so it is playable.

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 7:22 pm

darkstone100 wrote:
anybody ever here of vectorman?

Yep, I've got it on Sega Mega Drive Collection on PSP. Never heard of it until around 2002, though

RustyShackleford
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2008, 7:27 pm

I remember I weird game for the spectrum called Postman Nasty, later the name was apparently changed to Mailstrom. The aim of the game in your role as a post-apocalyptic postman was to destroy people and mailboxes?! There was also a weird game called Mr Wino and another called How to be a Complete Bastard. We had cool games when we were young. I think the weirdness of these home-coded games just fanned the flames of imagination, especially as the graphics were dreadful by modern standards.

All of the Jeff Minter games starting with Llamatron are pretty weird, Space Giraffe for the Xbox 360 being the newest and most psychedelic!

Last edited by RustyShackleford on 29 Jul 2008, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.