Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 8:33 pm

Around here there are alot of stupid little election polls like feed feed/pet the donkey named after the democratic candidate you just voted for.

They're all showing Hillary winning by a landside (In fact, the Obama donkey had to be fed by the radio station earlier because so few people were feeding him).

They keep saying how surprising this is being as everyone in the area was recently supporting Obama. They're saying people must have just been paying lipservice to Obama.

Umm, how about the fact that like most of Pennsylvania this area is compromised of small towns, many of whom have suffered from closings of mills/mines/etc and just last week Obama insulted the intelligence and the ability to understand politics of small town Pennsylvanias in areas that suffered job loss. He's never apologized for those comments.

I think thats a much better explanation for why Hillary is winning than that the area democrats were putting on a false-face for the past few months, don't you?

Seriously no small town Pennsylvanian with half a brain would vote for someone who said this, and refused to apologize for it

Quote:
You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:39 pm

I spent 2 years in the NY/PA area and observed that it was shutting down pretty hard. Everything is either moving south (which is booming right now) or overseas. Or to Mexico.

People are in general tired of the "arctic" winters, and of course there aren't any jobs.... But plenty of colleges. The colleges are saturating the job market with bachelor-wielding graduates looking for work and willing to accept a $9/hr position. Enter a thousand other people with no education who then have to accept minimum wage, if they can find it.

Such a sad state of affairs.

I don't care for either Hillary or Obama, but the situation in the north should be addressed by whomever is in office.

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2008, 10:23 pm

All I will say is, I am so glad for Hillary's win in PA! :D
I knew she would win -- it was just a matter of by what margin of victory.
But thank goodness it's over!
The race is still on. And I know it's still a long way away, but I can't wait for Hillary's slam dunk in Puerto Rico. She leads in the polls there by 80% to Obama's 20%. Over 1 million voters are expected to turn out in that primary. That's gonna be the final nail in Obama's coffin.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 11:18 pm

Quote:
They're all showing Hillary winning by a landside (In fact, the Obama donkey had to be fed by the radio station earlier because so few people were feeding him).

I don't know why but I found that very funny (I do know why but you know).

Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2008, 5:51 am

please dont say "donkey"
I know folks who vote republican because
they would rather be an elephant than a donkey
Its funny to me because its true but scary as hell too

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 10:43 am

Fred2670 wrote:
please dont say "donkey"
I know folks who vote republican because
they would rather be an elephant than a donkey
Its funny to me because its true but scary as hell too

There were actual donkeys - living, breathing animals.

I'd much rather call them donkeys than a**es.