Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 2:45 pm

Do you hate religion because of your ignorance?

or

Do you hate religion because you are ignorant?

Loaded questions a-la-Raggy.

It just seems people here feel the need to insult religion just for the sake of insulting. If a person were to say "I don't like women who dress provocative" a typical response would be "That is because you're a misogynist-fundamentalist!" Ah, it must be because my brain is small due to remembering all those scriptures, but I just don't seem to understand it.

After all if religion is pointless, where is the point in arguing against it and doing it constantly?

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 3:26 pm

or

Do you hate religion because of the ignorance it instills in others?

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 3:45 pm

That would go far from being questions a la Raggy. ;)

Micze
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2008, 3:50 pm

I simply cannot grasp the whole concept of religion. In my eyes it is|was a way of controlling peoples minds and implanting the fact of a paradice after death you could send your fearless armies to do anything for you in the name of god.

I have just evaluated all facts and come to the conclusion that religions is just fake dreams and hope. So i dont think i am being ignorant/ignorance at all. Just as i feel offended by people trying to force religion (or try to put shame on us) on me as they feel about those who dont approve of religion.

Last edited by Micze on 06 Jun 2008, 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 3:51 pm

oscuria wrote:
It just seems people here feel the need to insult religion just for the sake of insulting. If a person were to say "I don't like women who dress provocative" a typical response would be "That is because you're a misogynist-fundamentalist!" Ah, it must be because my brain is small due to remembering all those scriptures, but I just don't seem to understand it.

After all if religion is pointless, where is the point in arguing against it and doing it constantly?

Well, I could say, it depends on the actions that affects other people based in a belief system, if certain belief, religion or sect is pointless, the action towards people based in it, stops from seemed pointless in that moment, wether it is good and bad, if you feed the poor based in a religious belief, then, it is a good and positive aspect, if you kill based in the same belief system, it is bad. (an extreme example?)

Religion might be pointless depending on a lot of factors, and different degrees of the same religion or groups, but entirely, might not, to a lot of people does have deep meaning to others it doesn't make sense.

Rossi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2008, 4:22 pm

Micze wrote:
Just as i feel offended by people trying to force religion (or try to put shame on us) on me as they feel about those who dont approve of religion.

You missed the topic of this thread - it's not about whining about those evil religious people "forcing religion on you" poor pure scientific soul. It's the other way round - the question is why some of those non-religious people who do not want to be forced by religious people, thus want to be respected for their non-religious believings, feel the need to constantly ridicule and insult religions and religious people (and this board is full of such posts/threads), and that way do exactly the opposite of what they expect from others for themselves.

The answer is simple in my opinion: Bullying - that's all

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 4:32 pm

Rossi wrote:

While I don't agree with some atheists position, it might have to do with how can affect society and the environment, certainly they don't want to be preached, and get tired of it, second, the complete separation of church and state, is an issue here, which I am sure all atheists support, an example, the banning of gay marriage being influenced by Christianity, therefore people expresing discontent and disagreement, resulting in a call to Secularism.

So it is more than bullying, but yes, just for the sake of bullying, that happens too.

Last edited by greenblue on 06 Jun 2008, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Micze
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2008, 4:35 pm

I see i apologize. English is not my native language, however my intention was not to be a bully.

There is a difference atheists generally think they have rigth.
Religious people however belive they are correct and thus no matter what is said they will think an atheist is unable to reason with, this will cause friction no matter what.

And as i somehow missed the IF you hate religion. Hate is perhaps a strong word, i dont hate religious people.

Last edited by Micze on 06 Jun 2008, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 4:45 pm

I don't get anti-religious attitude. I am atheist myself but if someone finds strength in his/her religion then what is the issue? You always need to respect others' opinions, even when you cannot grasp them. Religion can be a positive thing as long as one lives it in his own way and not according to commands from priests or dogmas.

A friend I hold very dear recently lost two family members. I was really worried but her believes helped her to cope with it very well so I am glad she found strength in that (Islam in this case, although a very moderate form far away from the literally rules of the Quran)

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Rossi

06 Jun 2008, 4:47 pm

Micze wrote:
I see i apologize. English is not my native language, however my intention was not to be a bully.

There is a difference atheists generally think they have rigth but mostly there is room for reason as science is always trying to proove things wrong/different
Religious people however belive they are correct and thus no matter what is said they will think an atheist is unable to reason with.

I guess I have to apologize - after re-reading my post it seems it sounds a bit aggressive towards you, which was not my intention, english isn't my native either :wink:

Yeah - there's a basic difference like you said, but in my opinion all those discussion about being right or wrong simply miss the point. There should always be that "maybe" behind all our believings, and for me as a religious person "maybe" is at all times present, sometimes stronger sometimes weaker: "maybe" that religion is all wrong - a certain doubt that certainly is present at times in every religious person. But I would guess that also a non-religious person has doubt: "maybe" there is a god ! We all don't know - because there is no negative or positive proof, and thus there is no right or wrong. It's just a different point of view on ourselves, the world, the universe.

Micze
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2008, 4:54 pm

I have evaulated the fact about god and higer powers many times, and ofc there is a maby in there.

Rossi

06 Jun 2008, 4:55 pm

greenblue wrote:
Rossi wrote:

While I don't agree with some atheists position, it might have to do with how can affect society and the environment, certainly they don't want to be preached, and get tired of it, second, the complete separation of church and state, is an issue here, which I am sure all atheists support, an example, the banning of gay marriage being influenced by Christianity, therefore people expresing discontent and disagreement, resulting in a call to Secularism.

So it is more than bullying, but yes, just for the sake of bullying, that happens too.

Absolutely agree that there are many bad examples of people who are religious, or maybe more pretending to be religious because their beliefs do not really represent the content of the religion (e.g. going on war in the name of god, isolation of minorities etc).
And there are certainly many topics for good and intelligent discussion concerned with any aspect of religion, like you pointed out, and I know for sure that many e.g. christian people find many points of criticism towards e.g. churches.

Insult and ridicule cannot be part of such discussion, therefore I deny that this would be a valid reasoning behind.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 4:55 pm

greenblue wrote:

I am aware that people might not want to be preached at, but how is this scenario much for preaching? I will assume the persona of a Christian as these appear to be the most hated.

Christian: I love Christ with all my heart and would love to see everyone find their way and devote themselves to him. That is my wish and dream.

I, standing near the polar opposite of a Christian view, would just respond: "It is great that you feel that way, but in my belief we all worship to the best of our intentions and will, meaning that you reached your conclusion by Grace as did I. You might feel your method is True, but it is not true to me. Therefore, I cannot follow what you follow." At least I tell myself that.

How many of our atheist friends would treat this person respectfully and with sympathetic views towards his belief?

I guess it stems from how I used to be and am now. I cannot see why a person would waste energy and high blood pressure working himself to "defend" himself against the religious. For a people who are against others preaching, they surely love to preach themselves.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 5:02 pm

I just wish athiests (and by athiests, i mean the extremist nietzche types) would stop lambasting all the different peoples of faith because they heard something from some fundamentalist. If you went to a mainline church on any given sunday instead of jeering at televangelists (most of which piss me, a practicing christian, off), you would realize that most christians aren't in your face about it all the time, only the ones you hear about do. If a christian happened to try and "convert" you, and you definitively say no, the average christian will leave it at that, while the fundamentalist will probably give you a speech about going to hell...

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 5:11 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
I just wish athiests (and by athiests, i mean the extremist nietzche types) would stop lambasting all the different peoples of faith because they heard something from some fundamentalist. If you went to a mainline church on any given sunday instead of jeering at televangelists (most of which piss me, a practicing christian, off), you would realize that most christians aren't in your face about it all the time, only the ones you hear about do. If a christian happened to try and "convert" you, and you definitively say no, the average christian will leave it at that, while the fundamentalist will probably give you a speech about going to hell...

"Woman was God's second mistake."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 5:13 pm

What was the first one? :wink: