Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 5:47 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Adam & Eve were without religion, which is ironic.

Very true. And if adam and eve were really the first people on earth, they must have inbred to create the rest of the human race. Maybe the reason that humans are so stupid and destructive is because we are all inbred mongrels.

That explains a lot.

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

16 Dec 2008, 6:51 pm

From my observation (I live around plenty of Jews, so I notice things), the majority of "Jewish" people are Jewish like Taco Bell is Mexican. They only celebrate the major religious events, if ever. I know a few who won't even go to the temple during Yom Kippur and the other holidays. All of the Jews I've known never followed the laws of kosher. If this is you, I'd just drop the label of being a Jew, and stop practicing their religion and rituals. There is no need.
But, I don't understand the heredity of non-biological processes (such as religion, philosophy, ideas). I never inherited my parents religion or philosophy (or their gullibility). In fact, I never even believed in god at the age of 7, even when I went to church. I didn't care what others though, since I've always thought independently. That doesn't make me a rebel, but I do agree I am a cynic.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 7:01 pm

The issue about Jewes being Jewes, kinda parallels with the issue about Americans being Americans, (if the British are Europeans, why not stating that Canadians and Mexicans are Americans as well?), kinda like that.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 7:35 pm

As I understand it, the Mormons came up with the idea that the American Indians are actually descended from Jews--I never followed the full story, but supposedly some Jews who left Egypt at the time of Moses came to America.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 7:50 pm

pandabear wrote:
As I understand it, the Mormons came up with the idea that the American Indians are actually descended from Jews--I never followed the full story, but supposedly some Jews who left Egypt at the time of Moses came to America.

The Mormons' ideas about black people are even more reprehensible. Makes you wonder if racism is inherent in the Mormon Church.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 11:53 pm

slowmutant wrote:
pandabear wrote:

The Mormons' ideas about black people are even more reprehensible. Makes you wonder if racism is inherent in the Mormon Church.

I don't wonder at all.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 1:45 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
As far as I am concerned, Judiasm is a religion. If Jews is a race, then I guess we are all Jews because of Adam and Eve.
As I said before, it's race, ethnicity, and culture. the Jewish (well, actually Israelite religion) began with Abraham.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 2:00 pm

slowmutant wrote:
pandabear wrote:

And the funny thing is that there are many many black and hispanic mormons even though their faith has racist sentiment.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 9:11 pm

slowmutant wrote:
pandabear wrote:

And the funny thing is that there are many many black and hispanic mormons even though their faith has racist sentiment.

What's up wid dat?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 9:17 pm

slowmutant wrote:
pandabear wrote:

I notice that too...... :?

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2008, 12:45 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazar#All ... Ashkenazim

Notice the proponents of the theory. They are all known anti-Semites (with the exception of Koestler, who was just a sloppy academic). As it is, the next section of the page (the discussion of Y-chromosome haplotypes that are distinct to Jews of all regions of the world) disproves the Khazar theory. My opinion of Judaism and the Khazars: it was limited to the aristocracy, with the peasantry continuing with native beliefs or converting to other religions. Not enough to tip a gene pool.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 6:38 pm

ValMikeSmith wrote:
I am not knowingly Jewish by religion or family, but it seems to me from reading the bible that God has willed that Jews be scattered all over the world at various times and I make an interpretive assumption that he did so to make sure that everyone is of Jewish descent.

Whether I'm right or wrong doesn't really matter unless God has to do something like that in order to make us "all" chosen, and make us all a "promise". It's just a hypothesis. With the assumption God exists, and that he is all-power-full but must obey his own rules, and that requires him to do things in ways we can't understand such as why Jesus had to have a virgin mother or why the devil is allowed to make all the sins for 6000 years.

And dont forget the other 11 tribes scattered around the world!
I think this is where Christian Zionists are going wrong, they read that God is going to regather Israel and read it that those who nowadays call themselves Jews, must all go back to Jerusalem,
Whereas maybe it means God is going to gather all those genetic Hebrews who are by now Christian, none of whom know of thier heritage, but God still knows, they are not lost to him.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 11:46 pm

Who decides who is a Jew? topic

8O

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 12:15 am

I'm part Jew. Please don't hate me for it.

You see, I only found out a few years ago with a DNA test. All my relatives on my dad's side think that they are mexican.
Don't laugh. I confided in my gram who is an atheist and she laughed. They grew up first generation in the Chicago Projects and somehow became upper middle class. 8 out of 10 of them are entrepreneurs who are rich or upper middle class. My dad is most likely an undiagnosed aspie. He has worked in the same factory for over 30 years. He looks like Woody Allen.

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2009, 12:36 am

[quote="Magnus"]I'm part Jew. Please don't hate me for it.

You see, I only found out a few years ago with a DNA test. All my relatives on my dad's side think that they are mexican.
[quote]

I had a similar experience about a month ago. My maternal grandfather did a DNA test, and found out he had some amount of Arab, Turkic, Iranian, and Indian. Which means I have the same.

I really don't get the idea of being in a religion because of Ethnicity.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 1:01 am

-Pythagoras

Last edited by Magnus on 01 Jan 2009, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.