Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Bettyboo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2006, 8:13 am

I just read "Autism and the God Connection" by William Stillman. Mr. Stillman has Asperger syndrome and also works with kids with autism. In his book he discribes a "hightened spiritual connectedness" of those children. He discribes telepathic powers, psychic powers, etc. So, I want to know if any of you have experienced something unexplainable of this sort. Do you sense when something bad is going to happen? Do you know stuff before anyone tells you?

boothinator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2006, 10:55 am

I get a bit of deja vu, but I just think i'm just slightly insane and don't take it seriously.

Sundy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2006, 11:18 am

I used to get deja vu all the time when I was younger and it would make me sick to my stomach. I only get it about once or twice a year now thank goodness.

I don't think I'm telepathic. If I was, I'd be able to figure out what's going on in coversations and know what people were thinking without having to interpret their body language.

I do sometimes get all fluttery in my tummy for what seems like no reason. It's like I'm excited that something is going to happen and I get all prepared for it. I usually hope it's something fun and good, but then usually it's just the weather changing.

thadius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2006, 11:46 am

Bettyboo wrote:
I just read "Autism and the God Connection" by William Stillman. Mr. Stillman has Asperger syndrome and also works with kids with autism. In his book he discribes a "hightened spiritual connectedness" of those children. He discribes telepathic powers, psychic powers, etc. So, I want to know if any of you have experienced something unexplainable of this sort. Do you sense when something bad is going to happen? Do you know stuff before anyone tells you?

Having such beliefs could be a sign of schizophrenia. I myself have them. I took the test below and I came out 60% positive.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sztest/

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2006, 9:54 pm

On multiple occasions I have felt something very wrong prior to the deaths of family members and pets.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2006, 1:07 am

God! Aspies are supposed to be logical thinkers, and I can't believe that some could fall for this. If it's a personal obsessive interest, then I could understand. But, if it's not ... what are we thinking? I like the supernatural at times, too, cause I watch shows like Medium, Supernatural, etc..., listen to bands who dabble in the occult, but do I believe in this stuff? No.

I think that William Stillman may have an obsessive interest in this stuff, but I can't say for sure. I haven't read his book. People with ASDs tend to be more sensitive than many NTs, which enables them to sometimes 'feel' things that other people wouldn't ordinarily feel. This, however, does not ensure things like telepathy.

I had this one experience during my high school years where there was this teacher, Mrs. Hickey. She was in sort of an odd mood this one day, which I knew was different from most other days. Nobody else picked up on it, but I knew it. She was more snappy on many occasions, and I picked up on it. Other people could have easily thought I had some sort of sixth sense, but it was none other than her tone of voice and her speech inflections. I have this odd knack for picking up on these sorts of things. It's not telepathy.

Also, I have read somewhere, though I forget where know, that people who think extremely visually sometimes tend to find themselves in situations where they seem to know what someone else is going to do or say before he / she does it. This may be seen as some sort of ESP or telepathy as well, but it's really because of outstanding memorization skills of past experiences.

- Ray M -

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2006, 9:10 am

Aeturnus wrote:
God! Aspies are supposed to be logical thinkers, and I can't believe that some could fall for this.

I am still a logical thinker, however once I did go to Caesars Night Club in Streatham where you pay £20 at the door and all the drinks are free. After a nice night having a nice chat with the more mature clientele about various things like racing and the state of the royal family, I made my way home. Then out of the blue, an old man bumped into me, like a football player then lagged it like a scared rabbit. Then a big guy tried his luck bumped into me even harder then started to shout at me like though it was my fault or something. Then another guy from straight ahead lunged forward with two hands and grabbed me then said steady-on mate. He is was the b*** one who should be stead I told him. At the bus stop I glimpsed this white ghost floating around next to the billboard, like a man with a cover over his blimin head except it could not be one because it was floating up and down and floating through the billboard. :?: 8O

This was the strangest experience I have ever had in my life. If I could know what has happened. There is one thing that is true it is not down to any religious or spiritual reasons. I am still an Atheist.

Saraswathi
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2006, 9:16 am

Quote:
God! Aspies are supposed to be logical thinkers, and I can't believe that some could fall for this. If it's a personal obsessive interest, then I could understand. But, if it's not ... what are we thinking? I like the supernatural at times, too, cause I watch shows like Medium, Supernatural, etc..., listen to bands who dabble in the occult, but do I believe in this stuff? No.

But can you prove that the presence of a sixth sense is illogical, to back up your argument? How do you know that it isn't undiscovered science?
I've had vivid premonitions, such as one of my son's death, and many dreams that only made sense when they were replayed sometimes months later. I haven't found an explanation for them yet, and certainly not in your post.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2006, 9:38 am

I have precogtive experinces i.e. like knowing when a car is coming as I cross the road and narrowly missed hitting me and what people are going to say next.

Black_Sheep
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Apr 2006, 2:32 am

I sensed the death of my pet hamster while I was gone for vacation and sure enough it died.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2006, 3:20 am

Saraswathi wrote:
But can you prove that the presence of a sixth sense is illogical, to back up your argument? How do you know that it isn't undiscovered science?
I've had vivid premonitions, such as one of my son's death, and many dreams that only made sense when they were replayed sometimes months later. I haven't found an explanation for them yet, and certainly not in your post.

Well, they say that only a small percentage of our brain is used. What, if, some people have gained the ability to use a greater part? Maybe that may explain some psychic phenomenon, so in this sense ... the possibility exists that such phenomenon could be undiscovered science. There are people who have supposedly been able to find people who have been missing, and some authorities have used such people in finding missing children and more. If it were undiscovered science, it wouldn't be supernatural.

Telepathy, however, can be explained in a more scientific manner. Many people who have claimed to have read the minds of others are probably sensitive to certain things that typical people aren't aware of. A similar concept may be applied to the feelings of deja vu, probably.

- Ray M -

Saraswathi
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2006, 3:33 am

Quote:
Well, they say that only a small percentage of our brain is used. What, if, some people have gained the ability to use a greater part? Maybe that may explain some psychic phenomenon, so in this sense ... the possibility exists that such phenomenon could be undiscovered science. There are people who have supposedly been able to find people who have been missing, and some authorities have used such people in finding missing children and more. If it were undiscovered science, it wouldn't be supernatural

I'm sure that would explain it. The percentage of the brain used, if I remember rightly, is around 10%. They're still discovering what that 10% is used for, which leaves another 90% that most people don't use, and no-one has any idea what it is capable of. I believe most of us have the ability to be 'psychic', but it's something that most people don't use, and it certainly isn't encouraged or practiced. As children we're hard-wired from a very young age to be able to perform certain activities. A child who was not spoken to would miss the window of opportunity for speech development and have great difficulty learning to talk as an adult. The same goes for reading, motor skills etc, and I'm sure the same could be true for telepathy, clairvoyance and mediumship.

Quote:
Telepathy, however, can be explained in a more scientific manner. Many people who have claimed to have read the minds of others are probably sensitive to certain things that typical people aren't aware of. A similar concept may be applied to the feelings of deja vu, probably.

I don't think that adequately explains telepathy that takes place between people who cannot see or hear eachother, sometimes in different continents. It's been measured in animals; one cruel experiment during the cold war in Russia with a rabbit and her offspring comes to mind. It's not something we are even close to understanding.
I still argue the point that thinking logically and scientifically, and believing in the presence of the so-called 'supernatural', for want of a better word, are not mutually exclusive states.