Sikhism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (smaller religions such as Jainaism or Tenrikyo) 7%  7%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 166

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:50 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
My maternal grandfather was very atheist.. they actually asked the rabbi at his funeral not to mention God at all. He tried his best.

Eek. I thought I was being tough with my grandparents' funeral when I told the priests no mention of Hell whatsoever (the Catholic one slipped it into a few songs, and the Baptist one stayed clear of it), but not God would be a lot more difficult.

Anyway, I forgot to answer the original question (I get caught up with word definitions sometimes). I identify as Catholic, but it's probably not entirely accurate. When I do go to church, I prefer Catholic services (more elaborate), but I rarely do go, and I don't necessarily agree with the Catholic Church on everything. But I'm pretty religious in my own way; I have a prayer tattooed on my back, and if I weren't in a relationship, I'd probably consider becoming a nun pretty seriously.

Three years!

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:54 pm

leejosepho wrote:
Roman wrote:
I think Judaism that does involve practices might be very appealing to aspies because of the very precise definitions and instructions ...
... it would be very interesting to see how many aspies would actually enjoy participating in these rituals.

Only a guess here, but I suspect any interested Aspie might actually be more inclined toward the Karaite version of "Judaism" without all of the later-added "precise definitions and instructions" I think you are talking about.

Okay, lets put it this way:

1) Traditional Judaism = Torah + Talmud

2) Karaite Judaism = Torah alone

3) Belief in one God = may be the creation account, and thats it

So both 1 and 2 clearly fall into Judaism category. As far as 3, I don't think so. The OP seem to suggest that 3 is also Judaism because it rejects Jesus; I don't agree with it, since it doesn't have any Jewish rituals. You might even argue that at least some Buddhists believe in one God, and fall into 3.

EvoVari
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Oct 2009, 6:02 pm

Approx two months ago I joined a charasmatic church(Pentecostal) called Hillsong. Always been agnostic until I took a leap of faith. I prefer to experience things personally and reject gossip/intolerence. I love the christian rock music and the Bible gives me rules, guidance and structure for the first time in my life to operate within society. I have embraced the beliefs of christianity, been baptised and accepted the Holy spirit.

I like this church because it is so imperfect like the congregation who attend and they admit this fact. They have made mistakes in the past and will no doubt continue to stumble in the future.

Respect and tolerence of others beliefs has always been a cornerstone of my persona.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 6:08 pm

"When I woke up this morning, I heard a stupid sound... I said, when I woke up this morning, I heard a stupid sound... What I heard... was the jingle jangle of a thousand lost souls!"

James Brown, The Blues Brothers

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 6:10 pm

Christian.
Technically I'm Roman Catholic on my mother's side.
I'm not sure what branch of Christianity my father is. All I know is that his parents one day decided to convert to Jehovah's Witnesses, devoted more time to their believes than their own son, and as a result my father never cared about religion.
Sometimes I feel that I'm obligated to partake in Catholicism simply because it's what my mother & my grandmother want. But after all they've been through and what they've done for me, I feel that this is the least I could do for them.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 6:11 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
Um, not to be a pain, but can I asked why you alternated between names of religions, and then adjectives for describing someone of that religion. Also, very few people are purely "Shinto." When Buddhism spread, since it doesn't actually rule other things out, it melded with local religions, so almost anybody who would adhere to Shinto at all would call themselves "Shinto-Buddhist," and would therefor fall into the "Buddhism" category.

I selected "Christian" although I am technically Jewish, but more by ethnicity than religion. My maternal grandfather was very atheist.. they actually asked the rabbi at his funeral not to mention God at all. He tried his best.

Very good question. I'm ethnically from the tribe of Judah (to the best of my understanding), but I don't honor Jewish traditions that make keeping the Torah a burden such as counting the number of steps I take on the Sabbath, etc. I also believe what Y'shua ben YHWH has stated in the renewed covenant. I cannot call myself a Christian because I do not believe that the commandments given through Mosheh have been done away. I do not celebrate any of the man made Christian holidays either. I also believe that the majority of the people of the North America, Europe, Australia, as well as many other nations on other continents are descended from the "lost" tribes of Israel. Therefore, I don't fit into any of the faiths listed in the poll.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 6:14 pm

Roman wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Roman wrote:
I think Judaism that does involve practices might be very appealing to aspies because of the very precise definitions and instructions ...
... it would be very interesting to see how many aspies would actually enjoy participating in these rituals.

Only a guess here, but I suspect any interested Aspie might actually be more inclined toward the Karaite version of "Judaism" without all of the later-added "precise definitions and instructions" I think you are talking about.

So both 1 and 2 clearly fall into Judaism category. As far as 3, I don't think so. The OP seem to suggest that 3 is also Judaism because it rejects Jesus; I don't agree with it, since it doesn't have any Jewish rituals. You might even argue that at least some Buddhists believe in one God, and fall into 3.

The reason I considered it under Judaism is because you didn't specify whether it was the single god that Islam, Judaism, and Christianity follow, or a hitherto unknown (by me anyway) God.

Judaism was the first religion to believe in that particular God. So, unless it was specified that you also believed in the teachings of Mohammed or Jesus, I assumed Judaism.

As for the above shinto_buddhist, I was running out of poll options. If I was able to put every single religion down, there'd be hundreds.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2009, 6:14 pm

None, not none of the above, but none. The question of "god" is meaningless and there is little difference between people who believe god exists and people who believe god doesn't exist, other than a strong tendency for believers to kill people who don't agree with their beliefs.

(insert fundie reference to Hitler next)

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 6:19 pm

Vyn wrote:
Roman wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Roman wrote:

The reason I considered it under Judaism is because you didn't specify whether it was the single god that Islam, Judaism, and Christianity follow, or a hitherto unknown (by me anyway) God.

Judaism was the first religion to believe in that particular God. So, unless it was specified that you also believed in the teachings of Mohammed or Jesus, I assumed Judaism.

As for the above shinto_buddhist, I was running out of poll options. If I was able to put every single religion down, there'd be hundreds.

I understand this. But taking the history aside, in the modern world only 2% of Americans are Jews by my definition; but I am willing to bet there would be at least 20% who are Jewish by yours. So if yours is being used, then the 2% of the actual Jews would get lost within the 20% of humanists.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 6:25 pm

Well secular humanism is a growing religion true, but not one I considered large enough to give it's own category (see Other). And I doubt there's 20% of Americans who are secular humanists. Considering the 2008 census showed 76% identified as Christian, and 15% as agnostic-atheism, I don't think 20% of that came out within a year.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 6:26 pm

cyberscan wrote:
Very good question. I'm ethnically from the tribe of Judah (to the best of my understanding),

And who do you believe constitute the tribe of Judah? Do you believe that it is made up of people who are today referred to as Jews, or do you believe it is made up by other groups of people?

cyberscan wrote:
but I don't honor Jewish traditions that make keeping the Torah a burden such as counting the number of steps I take on the Sabbath, etc.

I know a lot of groups say that they don't have to "count the number of steps" on the sabbath, but they still follow the holiday and do so on saturday. So, while you are not legalistic, do you still follow sabbath? How about kosher? How about biblical feasts?

cyberscan wrote:
I do not celebrate any of the man made Christian holidays either.

Do you celebrate biblical feasts though (pass over, day of attonment, etc)?

cyberscan wrote:
I also believe that the majority of the people of the North America, Europe, Australia, as well as many other nations on other continents are descended from the "lost" tribes of Israel. Therefore, I don't fit into any of the faiths listed in the poll.

When you said "many other nations on other continents" does it include asians and/or blacks?

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 6:28 pm

Roman wrote:
So did your family object to your becomming Christian? I know anything to do with Jesus is anathema among Jews, even the atheist ones.

My maternal line is Jewish. My mother is now Buddhist, and my father is atheist. (Or perhaps agnostic.. he doesn't believe in any deities or anything, but something about good and evil, I think, but fiercely adheres to the whole you-don't-need-religion-to-be-good thing. Which of course ends up meaning needing to be good without believing that any higher power knows or cares.)

My grandmother was afraid of all things Christian.. but being that my gentile father is an atheist, that wasn't too much of a problem. She grumbled over the Catholic name, but I was named after my father's mother, not after the saint. Although I hear that my father's mother was a saint, (except for some incident about hitting my uncle over the head with a frying pan, but my dad said he deserved it..) but not an official one. My parents were married by a judge in an arboretum.. no churches or anything.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 6:28 pm

Vyn wrote:
Well secular humanism is a growing religion true, but not one I considered large enough to give it's own category (see Other). And I doubt there's 20% of Americans who are secular humanists. Considering the 2008 census showed 76% identified as Christian, and 15% as agnostic-atheism, I don't think 20% of that came out within a year.

I still think that secular humanism is more common than Judaism, so the two shouldn't be lumped together.

You can't say it doesn't have enough members to be separately listed, since Jews have only 2% of population and you still lit it.

If you want it to be "other" thats fine, but then ppl who believe in one God should vote "other", NOT Jewish.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 6:29 pm

Roman wrote:

Close enough for me, and it is actually accurate to say Judaism, Islam and Christianity all have the same "God", just worshipped (or not) quite differently!

Cowbird
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Oct 2009, 6:30 pm

I was raised Discordian. Still practice it daily. I wasn't sure where others might put that but I put it under "Pagan" as there is a lot of animistic, Voodoo funkiness in there.

EDIT: How are Wiccans not Pagan?

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 6:35 pm

Roman wrote:
Vyn wrote:

I still think that secular humanism is more common than Judaism, so the two shouldn't be lumped together.

You can't say it doesn't have enough members to be separately listed, since Jews have only 2% of population and you still lit it.

If you want it to be "other" thats fine, but then ppl who believe in one God should vote "other", NOT Jewish.

Yes, that's fine, I was merely making an assumption earlier based on the God of Abraham, the common "God." Most every other God has a name and is referred to as such. And I wasn't looking for just American answers, but world ones. Your earlier post stated American and that's the demographic I checked. But secular humanism over the world is still smaller than Judaism, and it's not recognized as a "Major" world religion.