Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Josher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2009, 9:14 pm

I've recently converted to gnosticism(more specifically valentinism) and I was thinking about what a spiritual explanation for my asperger's syndrome, so I came back to this forum which is ever-so knowing on Asperger's to see if there are actually any gnostics on here who can provide some advice

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 11:37 pm

It seems to me that the ultimate aim of Valentinus's system was the seperation of the spirit from the body and the uniting of it (the spirit) with the ultimate perfect wisdom. This being acheived through self gnosis. It was everything transforming and uniting via gnosis to the perfect spritual wisdom and the disapperance of the material world.

Let me ask a question. ( I don't have any answers for you. Just questions. sorry)

1. Do you often feel disconnected from your body? (Not in a shirley Macclaine sort of way.) But for instance, often when I am walking, or looking at my arms, feet, or whatever, I don't really distinguish them as mine. I kind of just look at them as I do any other object, such as this couch I am sitting on. Its just there.

I'm just curious if anyone else feels this disconnectedness to their physical body. I generally only associate myself with my mind.

2. Would you mind the disapearance of your physical body and a uniting with the perfect spiritual wisdom? I mean if AS is due to how your brain is physically wired, then it is material and it would disappear in the process.

A spiritual valentinian explanation for AS? Generally the gnostics viewed the whole material world as evil/wrong and the goal was to transcend out of it. To a valentinian, AS would just be another material item that you had to shed while uniting with the ultimate spiritual wisdom. Heck, they might even point to it as evidence that the material world is flawed.

My guess. Whats your take on it

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 12:18 am

I like the Gnostic Scriptures.

I was told that feeling disconnected from your body is a sign of schizophrenia.
The goal of becoming enlightened is to free yourself of your ego, which is by definition a psychotic process.

-Pythagoras

Josher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2009, 11:02 am

Francis wrote:
It seems to me that the ultimate aim of Valentinus's system was the seperation of the spirit from the body and the uniting of it (the spirit) with the ultimate perfect wisdom. This being acheived through self gnosis. It was everything transforming and uniting via gnosis to the perfect spritual wisdom and the disapperance of the material world.

Let me ask a question. ( I don't have any answers for you. Just questions. sorry)

1. Do you often feel disconnected from your body? (Not in a shirley Macclaine sort of way.) But for instance, often when I am walking, or looking at my arms, feet, or whatever, I don't really distinguish them as mine. I kind of just look at them as I do any other object, such as this couch I am sitting on. Its just there.

I'm just curious if anyone else feels this disconnectedness to their physical body. I generally only associate myself with my mind.

2. Would you mind the disapearance of your physical body and a uniting with the perfect spiritual wisdom? I mean if AS is due to how your brain is physically wired, then it is material and it would disappear in the process.

A spiritual valentinian explanation for AS? Generally the gnostics viewed the whole material world as evil/wrong and the goal was to transcend out of it. To a valentinian, AS would just be another material item that you had to shed while uniting with the ultimate spiritual wisdom. Heck, they might even point to it as evidence that the material world is flawed.

My guess. Whats your take on it

Actually, that's good advice right there. I was thinking the same thing about AS and I just wanted the opinion of other people.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 7:57 pm

The Gospel of Truth and Tripartite Tractate were both fascinating reads, I like the way Valentinus and St. Thomas explain the veil of reality between ourselves and the divine, mainly that it fits my own sense of things quite well (especially when you think of a lot of things going on out there like nonlocality with protons and what not). I try to draw the best from everything though, these seem like very enlightened texts though and I should get back to reading more of the Nag Hammadi when I have the chance.

Josher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2009, 9:01 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The Gospel of Truth and Tripartite Tractate were both fascinating reads, I like the way Valentinus and St. Thomas explain the veil of reality between ourselves and the divine, mainly that it fits my own sense of things quite well (especially when you think of a lot of things going on out there like nonlocality with protons and what not). I try to draw the best from everything though, these seem like very enlightened texts though and I should get back to reading more of the Nag Hammadi when I have the chance.

Eh, right now I'm trying to read Pistis Sophia which is actually has pretty good insight on what the Gnostics believed. A while ago before I converted to Gnosticism I read the Gospel of Thomas not knowing its Gnostic message.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 4:35 pm

I've read the gospels of Thomas and Judas but found them very strange and Zen. I did feel some spiritual truth in them.

I found it confusing how the Judas gospel was so positive to its title character, when in the mainstream gospels it does say, despite his betrayal being nesacary for Christ's death, he was bad and cursed.

Fady
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jan 2017, 9:19 pm

If you like Valentinianism you will probably like my book The Gospel of Lie.
PM me so I can send you a fee ecopy once it is released.