Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 6:44 pm

It is amazing that in comment sections* that people tend to say the most horrible things that they could possibly imagine; they say things which they would normally, at least hopefully, not say in person to another person. So much animosity, a virtual conflagration of blind vindictive hatred! Even though it is primarily people talking past each other and regurgitating phrases they've heard elsewhere, it is still amazing, even incredible, how vicious people can get when they feel secure in their anonymity.

*Note: This refers primarily to youtube and yahoo comments sections, where I have seen such horrid behavior. In WP this phenomena is less prevalent currently.

Does anonymity increase the tendency to display animosity?

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 6:49 pm

Welcome to the internet.

You do not understand and may never understand.

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 6:52 pm

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 6:59 pm

That's what I love about the internet, I can say things I wouldn't normally say to people in real life.

Of course there's always going to be boundaries even on the net when it comes to rules and regulations.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 7:08 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Of course there's always going to be boundaries even on the net when it comes to rules and regulations.

CP.

NOTHING ELSE.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 10:49 pm

TheOddGoat wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

CP.

NOTHING ELSE.

Captain Picard?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 11:29 pm

"A man is least himself when he speaks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will show you his true self." -Oscar Wilde

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 11:32 pm

Orwell wrote:
"A man is least himself when he speaks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will show you his true self." -Oscar Wilde

Is it really so that a person show their true self when they speak with anonymity? Is it actually them or is it a mask in itself?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 1:44 am

I have mixed feelings on anonymity myself, on the one hand I like the way that it forces debate to focus on what was said rather than who said it, but as has been amply demonstrated it also lends itself to stupidity and cruelty. Like most things, I think it's appropriateness is situational.

- Rick Sanchez

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 1:53 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Is it really so that a person show their true self when they speak with anonymity? Is it actually them or is it a mask in itself?

There is no self. Problem solved.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... ural/7055/

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 1:56 am

Dox47 wrote:
I have mixed feelings on anonymity myself, on the one hand I like the way that it forces debate to focus on what was said rather than who said it, but as has been amply demonstrated it also lends itself to stupidity and cruelty. Like most things, I think it's appropriateness is situational.

Anonymity on the net is a bit silly unless it is an attempt to prevent retribution. A name is just a name. I always use my own and stand behind what I say but no one here really knows me beyond what I write and all participants are merely bits of texts.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 2:21 am

what goes 'round, comes 'round, in ways sometimes unexpected. most folk would just whistle past the graveyard rather than ponder this seriously. meanness doesn't just affect the initial target/victim but spreads and multiplies in countless directions, like the action of marbles in play. the person you insulted might insult his wife or children who in turn insult folk they meet at work or school and it just goes on from there, eventually making its mean way back to the original offender who would have no idea what brought this onto him/herself. it is so much better to make this a virtuous chain instead, by spreading love instead of hate. pay it forwards instead of hating it forwards. just my 2-cents' worth.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 2:26 am

auntblabby wrote:
what goes 'round, comes 'round, in ways sometimes unexpected. most folk would just whistle past the graveyard rather than ponder this seriously. meanness doesn't just affect the initial target/victim but spreads and multiplies in countless directions, like the action of marbles in play. the person you insulted might insult his wife or children who in turn insult folk they meet at work or school and it just goes on from there, eventually making its mean way back to the original offender who would have no idea what brought this onto him/herself. it is so much better to make this a virtuous chain instead, by spreading love instead of hate. pay it forwards instead of hating it forwards. just my 2-cents' worth.

Love and hate are rather useless gifts to exchange to unknown persons composed totally of text comments. Analysis and information make far better sense.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 2:35 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Orwell wrote:

There is no self. Problem solved.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... ural/7055/

From the abstract it sounds as if Paul Bloom ripped off Paul of Tarsus, particularly Romans 7:15-24 ...

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 2:41 am

Sand wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Love and hate are rather useless gifts to exchange to unknown persons composed totally of text comments. Analysis and information make far better sense.

We aren't all Lieutenant Commander Data though, and it seems as though malevolence is usually given quite freely and much more frequently than any form of benevolence.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 2:51 am

Sand wrote:

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
We aren't all Lieutenant Commander Data though, and it seems as though malevolence is usually given quite freely and much more frequently than any form of benevolence.

unfortunately, this distinction is utterly lost on some folk here.