A message to the atheists, the agnostics, and the deists

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 6:47 am

You guys are very lucky to have thoughts free from religious dogma and all that s**t. Consider yourselves blessed.

Libelula85
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2011, 6:55 am

believers are crazy. I'm not interested in theology

AlSwearengen
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2011, 7:34 am

MCalavera wrote:
You guys are very lucky to have thoughts free from religious dogma and all that sh**. Consider yourselves blessed.

Oh Ok. Thanks.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 8:52 am

I have difficulty thinking that I am blessed if there is nothing to bless me. You have ruined my mind, MCalavera.

AlSwearengen
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2011, 9:14 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I have difficulty thinking that I am blessed if there is nothing to bless me. You have ruined my mind, MCalavera.

I was thinking that MCalavera was blessing us. Not that this make much sense to me but I take a win when I can

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 11:06 am

more tripe from the loony left [/sarcasm] :P

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 11:36 am

Of all the gifts God in his infinite wisdom choose to give me Faith was not one of them.
But sometimes I with that He did.
-Jake

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 1:43 pm

MCalavera wrote:
You guys are very lucky to have thoughts free from religious dogma and all that sh**. Consider yourselves blessed.

Most people who end up as atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, deists and such like did not start off that way. Must of us have been loaded down with religious crap when we were young. We had to find ways of shaking it off.

ruveyn

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 1:59 pm

I still bear some of it with us.
a jewish atheist is a very differnt critter than a former Evangical Christian.
Some time they drop the christian part but keep the Evangalical part.
going on a mission to their former flock.
-Jake

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 2:28 pm

Oh, blessed I am, to be a sentient being who can contemplate my own demise :? Still beats being a Theist though :)

ruveyn wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

Most people who end up as atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, deists and such like did not start off that way. Must of us have been loaded down with religious crap when we were young. We had to find ways of shaking it off.

ruveyn

I always figured you were Jewish, not atheist. :?

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 3:21 pm

Can't he be both?

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 3:24 pm

From a friend who i whole heartedly agree with;

Quote:
Religion spreads by a process known as viral memetic infection, which is reinforced by psychological conditioning from the various religions themselves until the belief (which itself is based on a process of circular logic) becomes "hard wired" into the brain, at which point the brain accepts certain irrationalities at a fundamental, hard wired level. This is the reason why people of deep faith can't "think" thier way out of it, it literally becomes impossible to question certain fundamental beliefs.Asking a person of deep faith to accept the concept that there are no gods and their religion is nothing more than a control system is like asking you or I to accept the notion that we don't have to breathe or our hearts don't need to beat - it's such a fundamentally accepted concept that it is beyond questioning. This is also the reason why you cannot have a completely rational conversation with a religious person about their religion, there are certain concepts they simply can't accept. This is due to it become hard-wired neurologically through repititious thinking and the psychological reinforcemnt that religions employ.

It is also the reason why religious people deal better with stress - the actual biological make-up of the religious brain differs in it's wiring, and one of those differences is a severe reduction in activity in the anterior cingulate cortex, which is a part of the brain dealing with error recognition and critical thinking (explained in this article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 160400.htm).

For more information on Viral Memetic Infection see Diane Benscoter's exceelent Ted talk

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/ex_mo ... think.html

Plainly, because of the above, we cannot hope to "convert back" or open the eyes of those already caught in deep faith, their neurological programming prevents it. They are simply incapable of having a totally rational discussion on the subject, even though they will be convinced they are, and nothing short of a traumatic event in thier lives which causes them to question their thinking as a whole down to a very fundamental level can start that process. All we can hope to do is teach these facts to the young to educate them as to how these things work and thus prevent them of falling into the trap of organised religion before they succumb to it.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 4:16 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
Can't he be both?

Jewish in heritage, you mean? I've never met an atheist Muslim :P

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 4:23 pm

@Patrick -

Just as a note, not necessarily apropos of anything - that 'quote' could be applied to any number of culturally embedded concepts.

Whenever the day is done."

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 4:30 pm

You are correct.

Too many things in society have become so routine that conditioning is probably the best fitting word for it.

All of us, whether we like to admit it or not are socially conidtioned to an extent.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 4:40 pm

PatrickNeville wrote:
You are correct.

Too many things in society have become so routine that conditioning is probably the best fitting word for it.

Example in my book: by the time I was in 5th grade, I was utterly convinced of the idea that a girl had to be younger than her boyfriend. I'm certain that no one ever told me that explicitly; but the idea wormed its way in. Intellectually, I know that that's of course not always the case; but it's still my instinctive/conditioned standard, with exceptions being exactly those.

Quote:
All of us, whether we like to admit it or not are socially conidtioned to an extent.

There's a certain necessity to it, though. You can't hold the things you live by, your beliefs and practices, as something exterior; that's as true in secular culture as in religion. They have to be internal, or it becomes a form of mental illness.

Whenever the day is done."