If a girl is raped and pregnant, should she keep the baby?

Page 9 of 94 [ 1500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 94  Next

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 3:34 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
When complaining about people that want to mandate what women do with their own bodies seems like rabid feminism to you then I can make a conclusion about you.

Exactly! If objecting to being a mere baby capsule makes me a rabid feminist...there's something wrong there.

nichiren
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2011, 4:41 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
blunnet wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
If she doesn't want the baby, then adoption

Abortion is another option given that they can, legally (for good) if they choose to. There are women who would not want to have their rapist's fetus inside of them at all, not even in thought, (they shouldn't and who could blame them). So, it comes to: the termination of the pregnancy of a raped woman, her right.

I answered the topic how I chose to. If I said that people should be legally permitted to be terminated by their mothers until they are 18 years of age, what would you say to that?

From the actions of some people I have known personally, that would not be a bad idea.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 5:09 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
When complaining about people that want to mandate what women do with their own bodies seems like rabid feminism to you then I can make a conclusion about you.

Exactly! If objecting to being a mere baby capsule makes me a rabid feminist...there's something wrong there.

It's the way you word your views that make you seem overly feminist.

I'm not exactly an overly traditional woman that thinks I should be in the home constantly with a gaggle full of young kids hanging off my breasts while the man works. I'm quite the opposite, I just feel kind of sad when the whole parasite philosophy is mentioned.

Masato
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2011, 5:10 pm

It would be her own choice. If I were a female however, I think I wouldn't keep it.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 5:23 pm

MONKEY wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

It's the way you word your views that make you seem overly feminist.

I'm not exactly an overly traditional woman that thinks I should be in the home constantly with a gaggle full of young kids hanging off my breasts while the man works. I'm quite the opposite, I just feel kind of sad when the whole parasite philosophy is mentioned.

Why does it matter how I word my views? Points are points, they're either right or they're not...

And it may make you sad, but that is some women's reality, and I see no reason why they shouldn't voice it.

To a woman who wants a child, it's welcome. To a woman who doesn't, it's an entity stuck inside her that needs removing, functionally akin to a parasite.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 10:22 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
In a happy world of happiness and rainbows, no one would get an unwanted pregnancy, but until that world is reached, it is best for women to be able to decide to herselves what to do if that happens to them.

I agree with pretty much all of Vex's post, but would like to add to this (a little bit OT since it's not to do with pregnancy-due-to-rape) that late-term abortions, while very rare, are usually on pregnancies that the woman wanted to keep but is unable to due to fetal abnormalities or to the woman's health.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 2:12 am

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

Stop using the dehumanization tactic to justify killing innocent children.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 2:48 am

I'm essentially done with this topic but this is my final word.

What doesn't bother me is pro-choice people being pro-abortion in the case of rape, it's pro-life people. Because they accept a fetus as a human yet even despite this, support abortion because they see what they consider a human being's life as dishonorable. So essentially they condone honor killing.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 6:23 am

Inuyasha wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

Stop using the dehumanization tactic to justify killing innocent children.

Why should I? It's a perfectly valid point. Women are human beings, not baby factories, and their rights come before those of something that doesn't even have a conscious brain yet. Sorry. Suck it up.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 6:43 am

my final take;
i dont care about DNA, it could be human or not,
what i do care about is conscoiusness and since a first trimester human embryo does not have that, in my book it does not have the same rights.
it is a womans choice and if she wants the baby she should get all the suport she needs, however she shouldnt feel pressured into that choice and i am afraid debates like this do excactly that.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

cossus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2011, 7:04 am

A baby is a human being with all their rights, regardless of their origin.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 9:54 am

donnie_darko wrote:

What doesn't bother me is pro-choice people being pro-abortion in the case of rape, it's pro-life people. Because they accept a fetus as a human yet even despite this, support abortion because they see what they consider a human being's life as dishonorable. So essentially they condone honor killing.

I agree with you there, it's not the baby's fault it's the rapist's. It's not the baby that should be shunned.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

MONKEY wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

I agree with you there, it's not the baby's fault it's the rapist's. It's not the baby that should be shunned.

Wha?

I never said I supported abortion, a child is not responsible for the criminal acts of his/her parents.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 2:31 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

Wha?

I never said I supported abortion, a child is not responsible for the criminal acts of his/her parents.

Nobody is arguing that the reason abortion should be allowed for rape victims is that the child is responsible. She should be given that abortion however she got pregnant, because it's her body and her health being affected.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 3:11 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

Wha?

Nobody is arguing that the reason abortion should be allowed for rape victims is that the child is responsible. She should be given that abortion however she got pregnant, because it's her body and her health being affected.

The child is not a piece of property though, if there is any brain activity, we have an innocent life in the equation. I'm not saying the woman should have to raise the kid, when he/she is born there is such thing as adoption.

Furthermore, the majority of abortions are cause two people decided to have sexual intercourse and then don't want to deal with the consequences.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 3:27 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

Wha?

The child is not a piece of property though, if there is any brain activity, we have an innocent life in the equation. I'm not saying the woman should have to raise the kid, when he/she is born there is such thing as adoption.

Furthermore, the majority of abortions are cause two people decided to have sexual intercourse and then don't want to deal with the consequences.
Anencephalics also have brain activity but since they lack a neo-cortex they are blind, deaf, unfeeling and unconscious. An unborn baby doesn't develop a neo-cortex until the third trimester so it is pretty much anencephalic until then. It is true that a lot of unplanned pregnancies happen because people either don't use contraception or fail to use it properly, but given the possibility of back alley abortions and significant disruption in life it is the lesser of two evils. Brain activity in the brain stem doesn't indicate consciousness