Page 1 of 15 [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

If guns were made illegal everywhere.
The world would be more safe, because there would be less gun crime. 23%  23%  [ 16 ]
The world would be less safe, because only criminals would have them and the law abiding would have no protection. 39%  39%  [ 28 ]
It would make no difference. 20%  20%  [ 14 ]
I'm really not sure how it would be. 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 71

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 9:58 pm

If guns were made illegal everywhere.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 10:10 pm

I vote less safe--criminals would still have them while law-abiding citizens would be unable to protect themselves.

Something else to consider, though...It's not so much that you have trouble with guns, but with weapons in general. If you managed to somehow completely get rid of guns, as in there were no guns for criminals to even buy or steal, you'd still have weapons. Knives are still used as weapons, so tempered-steel, double-edged swords could come back as a means of defending one's immediate personal space.

But that's assuming you could get rid of guns completely. As it is now, you know what happens if you carry a knife? You get shot!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 10:27 pm

None of the four options really apply alone.
What we would have is a new class of criminals because most gun owners, me included, won't give them up.
I won't have such basic, personal, and cherished freedoms sold down the river by those hacks in DC or any other government, period!

How many more gunz-r-bad threads have to be pitifully lost by the anti-gunners before we can move on to something else?
:roll:

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 10:34 pm

Criminals mostly get their guns from legitimate sources. There might be some thefts and straw purchases along the way, but ultimately their guns come from the same places that civilians' guns come from. And guns don't last forever. So, if you destroy the civilian guns industry and then wait long enough, the criminals' guns will dry up too.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 11:00 pm

I dunno, do criminals use guns for most crimes most of the time? I'd guess not, given that the penalties for using a gun in a crime are usually pretty high, but I don't know.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

27 Jul 2012, 11:15 pm

Declension wrote:
Criminals mostly get their guns from legitimate sources. There might be some thefts and straw purchases along the way, but ultimately their guns come from the same places that civilians' guns come from. And guns don't last forever. So, if you destroy the civilian guns industry and then wait long enough, the criminals' guns will dry up too.

Guns can last almost indefinitely with proper maintenance. A lot of the guns floating around in Africa and the middle east are WWII era guns, there even still Nazi weapons in circulation.

And no, most gun crime is done with illegal guns. More than 90% in the US. The Mexican government likes to whine about guns coming from America but those cartels are buying straight up military grade weapons from abroad(I'm sure the CIA makes a nice profit from it)

The premise of this thread is completely nonsensical tho, you may as well ask if there be as much crime if Batman and Spiderman actually existed since it's about the same level of ridiculous to ask.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 11:16 pm

A lot of black market guns come from corrupt government and military officials. Look at Mexico and the former Soviet countries for example.

If EVERYONE got rid of their guns, people would still kill each other through all the other methods tried before and invent new ones, either legal or not. Sudan and east Africa are good examples of this. Weapons are not the root cause of violence.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 11:21 pm

This is a lot like "if drugs were illegal, would people do less drugs?". I rest my case.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 11:42 pm

Jacoby wrote:
And no, most gun crime is done with illegal guns. More than 90% in the US. The Mexican government likes to whine about guns coming from America but those cartels are buying straight up military grade weapons from abroad(I'm sure the CIA makes a nice profit from it)

Depends what you mean by "illegal". Like I said, there is often a theft or a straw purchase somewhere along the way. But in the end, criminals' guns come from the same places that civilians get their guns from. Where do you think they get them from? Do you think they have their own gun manufacturers? Do you think they raid armies and police stations? Of course not. The guns come from gun stores.

As for your point about guns coming from overseas, please read the original post.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 11:55 pm

Declension wrote:

Quote:
Criminals mostly get their guns from legitimate sources. There might be some thefts and straw purchases along the way, but ultimately their guns come from the same places that civilians' guns come from.

Speaking for the United States; buying one as a convicted felon or a host of other no-no's is a felony and that's assuming if you get past the NICS check.

Quote:
And guns don't last forever.

Define forever.
As I stated in an earlier thread I have a 108 year old Swedish Army rifle that is still as deadly, reliable, and probably as accurate as it was 1904. And, yes, there is still commercially manufactured ammo available for it at your friendly neighborhood gun shop. That's just one example.
I've seen original colonial era long rifles and Jaeger type rifles that were still completely intact and serviceable. It's a given that with modern metals and other materials along with modern manufacturing techniques that the guns of today will last at least 1000 (one thousand) years with moderate care.

Quote:
So, if you destroy the civilian guns industry and then wait long enough, the criminals' guns will dry up too.

The American firearms industry has been very strong since 2009 (not that it was ever really weak). Obama unintentionally helped that industry more than you can imagine.
Again, how long until the existing guns wilt or whatever it is you think they do?

Next.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 1:00 am

Declension wrote:

yes but our criminal fascistic government would be the only armed ones then

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2012, 1:43 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
yes but our criminal fascistic government would be the only armed ones then

Acting against the government is treason.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 2:10 am

Raptor wrote:
Speaking for the United States; buying one as a convicted felon or a host of other no-no's is a felony and that's assuming if you get past the NICS check.

Sure, but what does that have to do with what I said? For the third time, what I am saying is that the guns that criminals use overwhelmingly originate from the same sources that civilians use to buy guns. In fact, I totally agree with your implication. The original purchaser of a violent criminal's gun is almost never a violent criminal themselves. They are usually either a straw purchaser for violent criminals, or they are an innocent whose gun will be stolen by violent criminals.

Raptor wrote:
Define forever.

Do you seriously not know what "forever" means? You can look it up if you like.

Raptor wrote:
Again, how long until the existing guns wilt or whatever it is you think they do?

I am not making a policy proposal. I am simply trying to destroy the imaginary distinction that people sometimes make between "innocent people's guns" and "criminals' guns". They are the same guns.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 2:40 am

Declension wrote:

Only because a legal source exists. As soon as you make it illegal to sell weapons to the public the black market for guns will grow in size, similar to the black market in illicit drugs. Home made guns are a reality - for example

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 3:30 am

Burzum wrote:
Home made guns are a reality - for example

I remember reading a story about in Northern Ireland during the Troubles in the 1970s, loyalist paramilitaries were making homemade improvised machine guns.

They've been around for longer than you care to admit. If the gunmaker is skilled, it shouldn't be a problem.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 3:56 am

Burzum wrote:
Only because a legal source exists. As soon as you make it illegal to sell weapons to the public the black market for guns will grow in size, similar to the black market in illicit drugs.

The "black market" is the market in which guns are sold by one criminal to another criminal. The existence of a black market does not at all contradict what I am saying, because it doesn't have anything to do with where the guns originally came from. The guns in the current black market are almost entirely originally from legitimate sources. Guns don't grow on trees!

Burzum wrote:
Home made guns are a reality

Yes, home-made guns are truly contradictory to what I am saying, and they are extremely rare.