Page 10 of 13 [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 7:49 pm

You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it.
-Malcolm X

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 8:25 pm

Such isolation is sometimes bitter,but I do not regret being cutoff from the understanding and sympathy of other men.I lose something by it,to be sure,but I am compensated by it in being rendered independent of the customs,opinions,and prejudiced of others,and am not tempted to rest my peace of mind upon such shifting foundation.

Albert Einstein

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 7:50 pm

“As God can protect his people under the greatest despotism, so the utmost civil liberty is no safety to them without the immediate protection of his Almighty arm. I fear that Christians in this country have too great a confidence in political institutions . . . [rather] than of the government of God.”
― Alexander Carson

oldsoul
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2013, 6:57 pm

“Anybody who believes that you can live a moral life and not clash with whatever institution you are working for, including the church, is naïve.”

Chris Hedges

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 7:33 pm

For democrats, it's as crucial to defend secular culture as to preserve secular law. And in fact the two projects are inseparable: When religion defines morality, the wall between church and state comes to be seen as immoral.

-Ellen Willis, "Freedom from Religion," The Nation (February 19, 2001)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 8:14 pm

We must admit that what is honored on America is material success.All you have to do to understand this is to compare the position of intellectuals and artists in America with their position in Europe.The model American is the successful businessman.Artists and intellectuals are regarded in the light of charity patients or excess baggage.Consequently the attention of the American is drawn at an early date to the necessity of adjusting himself to his economic environment in such a way that he will be successful.

Robert M. Hutchins

IChris
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2013, 9:23 pm

If we identify nature with what natural science aims to make comprehensible, we threaten, at least, to empty it of meaning.

John McDowell

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 9:49 pm

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 9:39 am

How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?

- Samuel Johnson

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 1:40 pm

Capitalism is based on self-interest and self-esteem; it holds integrity and trustworthiness as cardinal virtues and makes them pay off in the marketplace, thus demanding that men survive by means of virtue, not vices. It is this superlatively moral system that the welfare statists propose to improve upon by means of preventative law, snooping bureaucrats, and the chronic goad of fear.

-Alan Greenspan (1963) The Assault on Integrity

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 6:27 pm

A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car;but if he has a university education,he may steal the whole railroad.

Theodore Roosevelt

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 6:58 pm

The liberty of the press ... consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public: to forbid this is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous, or illegal, he must take the consequences of his own temerity.

-William Blackstone, (Commentaries on the Laws of England, 1765-1769).

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 2:31 pm

Pardonnez-moi, monsieur. Je ne l'ai pas fait exprès.

- Marie Antoinette, last words

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 4:36 pm

Libertarians ... advocate a high degree of both economic and personal liberty. Libertarians believe that people have the right to freely engage in both commercial and private activities. Libertarians consistently uphold the right of individuals to control their own lives in all respects.

-David Bergland, 1984 Libertarian Party presidential candidate, in Libertarianism In One Lesson (Ninth Edition, 2005)

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 4:44 pm

I despise people who go to the gutter on either the right or the left and hurl rocks at those in the center.

- Ike

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 3:18 pm

Take me home.I was born in the South,I have lived and labored in the South and I wish to die and be buried in the South.

Booker T. Washington,last words.