Page 3 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 4:21 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
And...another thing you haven't considered...perhaps, just maybe the evidence is there you just do not recognize it?

That's not how evidence works.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 4:39 pm

AspE wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
And...another thing you haven't considered...perhaps, just maybe the evidence is there you just do not recognize it?

Oh yes it can be how evidence works. People are not always aware of what is right under their noses so until you learn to decipher all the codes, you don't have all the evidence.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 4:42 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspE wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Oh yes it can be how evidence works. People are not always aware of what is right under their noses so until you learn to decipher all the codes, you don't have all the evidence.

What deciphering are you talking about? An unknown language? Or do you mean a certain interpretation of your favorite holy book? Legitimate evidence is by nature available to all people regardless of their views.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Aug 2014, 5:02 pm

Please don't describe yourself as a "rationalist" if you don't believe in global warming and do believe in giants.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 6:08 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Please don't describe yourself as a "rationalist" if you don't believe in global warming and do believe in giants.

This interests me. IE people who will believe in the most fantastical irrational conjecture, whilst obstinately denying evidence for the rational.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 6:12 pm

Stannis wrote:
Paleontologists are discovering evidence of previously thought mythological creatures all the time. Homo floresiensis survived until 12,000 years ago, so there is precedent of intelligent non human hominids surviving into relatively recent times.

I find this infinitely more fascinating than stories of giant humans in the bible.

Danixia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2014, 6:37 pm

aff...well

Can we just take a break of giants and look at something for a second?

Just becouse you dont understand a religion dosent mean you have the right to bash it and i was just giving my opinion second.

AspE you are a very scietific person and that is cool and I admire that.
And i presume you belive in evolution right?

Think about it for a second did you wathch the big bang ocour ? No, do you belive in it ? Yes. Why do you belive in it ?since sciense says that you can only prove something if that thing is tested and it happens again again and again, observation experiment, you know that stuff i dont need to tell you, you cant do that can you? Big bang ocorred billions of years before, but you still belive in it without you seeing it, that my friend is having faith in a theorie that you dont know if it realy happened you can just say that is logical that there is evidence etc.

The same goes for creation, so we are not that diferent.

(and talking snakes .... like i said animals could be more advancend then now whu knows ? FAITH XD )

AspE I am saying this but i dont intend to bach you our anithing this is just my opinion and trying that you can see both sides of the coin , you have the right to belive in what you want

As for the giants again.

I see it like that, there should be bones of it.... hmmm it depends, like if the jews vanish with them (it was problably earlier so it may have not be the jews ) they could have put them in one of those holes ( i dont remember the name in english sorry) that they put everyone from the city and it eventualy broke and got mixed with others , our like a lot of cultures did , when they toght that something was harmfull they would break they bones to peaces ....this is one of the possibilities.

Now. Everyone as the right to belive in what they want to belive and we are just giving opinions here we arent try to find the one that as the ultimate truth XD

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm

The_Walrus wrote:

OMG have you really taken a look at the ENTIRE history of this planet? Take a look sometime. Study it! Before you start sounding the alarm bells you need realize earth has had many calamities over the years even before humans evolved. Humans think they are the center of the universe I swear! Earth is on an evolutionary journey, not much any puny human can do about that. Sorry you hate reality and truth but it stares me in the face and I must acknowledge it.

FURTHERMORE it is not *I* who pulled the word Giant out of my mind and called these men that. I am simply curious why these particular people were described this way when no one else was. What a terrible crime I have committed by simply questioning it.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 9:43 pm

Danixia wrote:
aff...well

Can we just take a break of giants and look at something for a second?

Just becouse you dont understand a religion dosent mean you have the right to bash it and i was just giving my opinion second.

Think about it for a second did you wathch the big bang ocour ? No, do you belive in it ? Yes. Why do you belive in it ?since sciense says that you can only prove something if that thing is tested and it happens again again and again, observation experiment, you know that stuff i dont need to tell you, you cant do that can you? Big bang ocorred billions of years before, but you still belive in it without you seeing it, that my friend is having faith in a theorie that you dont know if it realy happened you can just say that is logical that there is evidence etc.

(and talking snakes .... like i said animals could be more advancend then now whu knows ? FAITH XD )

AspE I am saying this but i dont intend to bach you our anithing this is just my opinion and trying that you can see both sides of the coin , you have the right to belive in what you want

As for the giants again.

I see it like that, there should be bones of it.... hmmm it depends, like if the jews vanish with them (it was problably earlier so it may have not be the jews ) they could have put them in one of those holes ( i dont remember the name in english sorry) that they put everyone from the city and it eventualy broke and got mixed with others , our like a lot of cultures did , when they toght that something was harmfull they would break they bones to peaces ....this is one of the possibilities.

Now. Everyone as the right to belive in what they want to belive and we are just giving opinions here we arent try to find the one that as the ultimate truth XD

Funny thing, Christians are always trying to make people understand Christianity, and yet if you question how they know what they believe, they are very quick to accuse you of not understanding it! I understand it all too well as a matter of fact. I will bash it as much as I like (within the bounds of good taste and decorum of course). It deserves it.

OK, the Big Bang. The Big Bang is a fact deduced from the recognition that the universe is expanding wherever we look in all directions. This means that in the past it was smaller. And therefore hotter. What came before that is less certain. There are other plausible theories. I would certainly be willing to entertain other possibilities, if there is evidence for it. This is in contrast to the faith of religion, which is based on stories in a book, for which there is no other evidence. You are making apologies for believing in things for which there is no reliable evidence. Bash me all you like, believe what you like, I'm just making an attempt to explain some basic epistemology (how we know what we know). It is not valid to believe something just because someone is unable to prove it's wrong. Atheists use Russell's Teapot as an analogy. How do you know there isn't a small teapot in orbit right now around Mars? In fact there is an infinite number of things which are impossible to disprove. That doesn't make it reasonable to believe all these things!

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 9:46 pm

Danixia wrote:
aff...well

Not speaking for aspE, rather for the scientific minded as a whole. Firstly there is a difference between believing something in an absolute sense and believing something has potential to be accurate due to evidence. The Big Bang is an hypothesis which can be used to explain observable occurrences, eg the increasing expansion of the universe. This does not mean we BELIEVE in it ABSOlUTELY it is instead a useful hypothesis which helps further our understanding of the universe. Creationism is an ABSOLUTE. Belief, which unlike the Big Bang has has no supporting evidence, in fact if the Big Bang had only the smallest proportion of the evidence creation has against it, the Big Bang would has been dismissed as wrong.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 9:53 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

OMG have you really taken a look at the ENTIRE history of this planet? Take a look sometime. Study it! Before you start sounding the alarm bells you need realize earth has had many calamities over the years even before humans evolved. Humans think they are the center of the universe I swear! Earth is on an evolutionary journey, not much any puny human can do about that. Sorry you hate reality and truth but it stares me in the face and I must acknowledge it.

Firstly comparing The Walrus to you I would suggest that he has taken a far more detailed look at the history of this planet.

Secondly. Please try and understand this concept. Humanity has NOT caused climate change, we have CONTRIBUTED to it, and it is this contribution that is pushing the naturally occurring climate change into dangerous territory.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 9:56 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

You're not making any sense here.
You can study the history of the Earth all that you want, and you're not going to find evidence of human giants.

"the ENTIRE history of the planet"?

Humans have only been around for the last nanosecond of the planet's "history". Presumably any giant humans would also only have existed in that brief time frame. So why do you stress the world "entire"? Most of the Planet's four and half billion years have no relevence to whether giant humans ever existed.

Western science was seeking giants for centuries before it sought dinosaurs, or trilobites, because the notion of human giants already existed. But no one thought to look for trilobites because trilobites are not menationed in any holy book. But the total lack of remains of human giants (along with the lack of tools, and remains of furniture, clothing, and housing, made for oversized humans)kinda convinced scientist to give up the idea of giants ever existing. But the omnipresence of trilobites in rock strata makes trilobites rather undeniable.

But you're asking us to take giants as seriously as we take trilobites.

Why?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 9:56 pm

When Jonah's spies had returned to the Isrealites and reported the land of Canaan had been inhabited by giants, I suspect they had been referring to the arrival of Indo-European populations such as the Philistines who, as Europeans, had a different diet consisting of dairy products and meat, and so resulted in people with more muscle mass and lengthened bone. Doubtlessly, the people there had been exaggerated in their physical height. By today's standards, they probably stood no taller than five foot eight inches, though which was actually pretty tall for the ancient world.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 10:17 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Firstly comparing The Walrus to you I would suggest that he has taken a far more detailed look at the history of this planet.

Secondly. Please try and understand this concept. Humanity has NOT caused climate change, we have CONTRIBUTED to it, and it is this contribution that is pushing the naturally occurring climate change into dangerous territory.

Humans need to come to terms with the evolutionary journey of the planet and to realize it is far greater than you or I and we do not know where it will end up. It is beyond anyone's control. In fact, we could be hit by an asteroid tomorrow nothing we could do about it. Stuff happens in the universe. It happens in the earth, too. You just have to accept the dynamics of these forces at work. Most people cannot deal with it. Their world has been made so safe and cushy by so many antibiotics and vaccines, they do not realize we still stand on a precipice much like our ancestors.

I am not comparing me to anyone here. I stand on my own and am not nervous about fearlessly discussing the interesting in life. This Giant Mystery is interesting.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 10:47 pm

What has any of that got to do with the reality that we are contributing to naturally occurring climate change.

I am curious as to how much you have actually studied regarding the historical process of scientific discovery, or, to put it another way, do you have any conception of how we know what we know?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 11:01 pm

A little bacteria respires and the earth turns into a snow ball. This happened millions of years ago. If these little bacteria never did that, I might not be typing this today.