Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

How do you feel towards law enforcement?
Positive/My interactions with law enforcement have been largely positive. 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Negative/My interactions with law enforcement have been largely negative. 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
Neutral/I have never had interaction with law enforcement. 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Positive, in part because I am or personally know someone in law enforcement. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 7:34 am

Just a poll.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 5:30 pm

People in law enforcement are human beings.
There's good and bad everywhere.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 6:39 pm

Exactly.

I've had run-ins with schmuck cops----and I've had excellent encounters with law enforcement, too.

Usually, if you're not doing anything wrong, you won't get the attention of law enforcement.

I was once mistaken for a guy who robbed a store and I was 16 years old!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 7:40 pm

It's been about even. I always treat them with respect, and do what I can to keep them feeling safe. About half have been professional, and about half have not. It's a small sample, but it doesn't reassure me about their screening, training, or institutional culture.

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2017, 8:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Usually, if you're not doing anything wrong, you won't get the attention of law enforcement.

A large number of people I know have had negative interactions with the police that have been instigated as acts of aggression. Some of my 'favourites':

-My father was beaten by police on several occasions in the '70s as a migrant worker just trying to make an honest living.
-A friend of mine had his hand broken with a police baton while trying to remove himself from a (peaceful) protest
-Another was tased for trying to retrieve his skateboard that was stuck under a fence
-I have been stopped and searched based on my appearance several times and have been subject to illegal use of my data.

I don't believe for a moment that the institution of the police has the interests of the population at its core. Its agenda is dictated by government who have their own interests to protect. Meeting a good police officer doesn't change the fact that the organisation is fundamentally rotten.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 10:49 pm

None of the poll options really apply to me.

I have a general distrust of law enforcement as a whole. One on one, most of my dealings with them have been relatively positive. I have, however, observed a tendency in some of them to have to dominate every situation, even when it’s not a situation. The need to be the alpha dog taken to absurd levels.

They will go to great lengths to cover up thier transgressions. As a whole, they have mercenary values and will enforce without protest anything they are ordered to by their masters, and this is probably their most damning fault IMHO.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 8:45 am

I've had negative encounters with law enforcement, too.

I was almost arrested once because I had a "bulge" in my sweatpants. Because I was carrying something bulky in them. They thought it was a gun!

I do believe law enforcement has the tendency to target "minorities" and people of alternative lifestyle.

Probably the best way (at least in cities) to avoid law enforcement is to not bring attention upon yourself.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 9:11 am

Negative. I've avoided any issues with police because I'm a white woman and look kind and younger than I am, but I've observed plenty of s**t growing up in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood. Unduly violent, power tripping, cultish (god forbid you ever question something a police officer did to someone to another police officer, even if they don't know the officer in question) people. Police officers are indoctrinated honestly, I knew someone prior to becoming a police officer and could have rational discussions with them on police brutality and after they finished academy if you ever question anything an officer has done (even shooting a non violent, unarmed civilian) he starts immediately defending them and going "you have no idea what it's like to br a police officer they had a good reason for what they did."

The cultish indoctrination is the worst part imo, because they won't question and they won't speak out against officers who harm people. They not only defend them for on the job violence, but also for domestic abuse, which is incredibly high with officers.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 8:23 pm

Raptor wrote:

I have a general distrust of law enforcement as a whole. One on one, most of my dealings with them have been relatively positive. I have, however, observed a tendency in some of them to have to dominate every situation, even when it’s not a situation. The need to be the alpha dog taken to absurd levels.

They will go to great lengths to cover up thier transgressions. As a whole, they have mercenary values and will enforce without protest anything they are ordered to by their masters, and this is probably their most damning fault IMHO.

Yes basically. They are a neutral force AFAIK, and I generally have no issues with them, as I am not one to create issues for them. At the same time I am quite critical of the 'Sheepdog' paradigm that they follow due to the fact that they can create a situation where there was none to begin with in order to gratify the fact that they are doing their job of protecting society.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 10:17 pm

Fogman wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Yes basically. They are a neutral force AFAIK, and I generally have no issues with them, as I am not one to create issues for them. At the same time I am quite critical of the 'Sheepdog' paradigm that they follow due to the fact that they can create a situation where there was none to begin with in order to gratify the fact that they are doing their job of protecting society.

This is a good example of over-domineering just because they can. Here a guy has just been in an accident and Johnny cop comes along and without asking the guy if he is okay starts demanding that he get out of the rolled over vehicle.
When he doesn't, our hero gets all authoritative and tries some pain compliance tactics in the form of a wrist lock.
All this because the obviously shaken motorist didn't egress the rolled over SUV fast enough for the Johnny Cop's liking.

True, the roof over them could have fallen because one of the supports was damaged by the accident but it appears safe enough for the time being AND the cop could have approached from the other side.