Page 14 of 34 [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 34  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 5:55 pm

ironpony wrote:
But I don't think he mentions the holocaust though does she? She says Jewish people were persecuted by being beaten in the streets. That's not the holocaust, as in arrested and imprisoned and executed. Isn't what she was saying different than the holocaust?

Again it's irrelevant whether she mentioned a specific word, her intention to compare genocide with mad ravings of MAGA lunatics.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 6:20 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well after she made this remark and got fired from Disney, right after pretty much, Ben Shapiro (who is Jewish) has now given her a movie deal, so I wonder, is her remark really considered anti-semetic, if right after she makes it pretty much, she gets a movie deal from a Jewish celebrity?

Ben Shapiro cares more about owning the libs more than possibly working with someone who might do a bad to his religion. Plus I think that Ben Shapiro is just as eager to go with the narrative that conservatives are being as persecuted now as in the past in Germany, especially if you look at him being part of CancelCon along with Dennis Prager and Dave Rubin. Dave Rubin who himself has worked with Ben Shapiro despite how anti-gay Ben Shapiro is and would if given the choice would take away his rights to a husband.

Owning the libs takes over for almost everything else. Gina chose that over not offending people that would make people not want to continue supporting her.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 6:23 pm

But she didn't say genocide, she said 'beaten in the streets'. That's not genocide. People are misquoting and paraphrasing her. I thought Jewish people were persecuted in ways, other than the holocaust in history.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 6:34 pm

ironpony wrote:
But I don't think he mentions the holocaust though does she? She says Jewish people were persecuted by being beaten in the streets. That's not the holocaust, as in arrested and imprisoned and executed. Isn't what she was saying different than the holocaust?

They were an early stage of the Holocaust.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 7:19 pm

But she was using the beating in the street stages as a comparison to how people are being treated in the US now. There were beatings in the streets last year with riots so I thought it was a close enough comparison, before the holocaust of course.

But let's say using Jewish people for a comparison, is too harsh. Which group of people that underwent persecution in history should she have used then, without offending people? Would it have been better if she used African-Americans, or Native Americans, Palestinians, Algerians...?

Or which group of people are more acceptable to use as an example of being persecuted, without offending people?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 7:30 pm

The Nazi comparison was too extreme.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 7:36 pm

But I thought maybe the reason why she used such an extreme comparison, is because if you are trying to talk to people who are bullies, and bullying her and trying to get them to back down, then you have to use an extreme comparison, because anything less than extreme one, will not get through the bullies heads, because their skulls are likely too thick.

When trying to make a bully see their errors of their ways, you pretty much have to hit them over the head with a sledge hammer and yell "hello, anyone home!?", otherwise bullies will likely not take your comparison seriously unless it's extreme.

Or at least I thought that's what she was doing.

Last edited by ironpony on 23 Feb 2021, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 9:43 pm

ironpony wrote:
But I thought maybe the reason why she used such an extreme comparison, is because if you are trying to talk to people who are bullies, and bullying her and trying to get them to back down, then you have to use an extreme comparison, because anything less than extreme one, will not get through the bullies heads, because their skulls are likely too thick.

When trying to make a bully see their errors of their ways, you pretty much have to hit them over the head with a sledge hammer and yell "hello, anyone home!?", otherwise bullies will likely not take your comparison seriously unless it's extreme.

Or at least I thought that's what she was doing.

It is amazing how many people have seen no issue in the past with referring to other groups as "nazis" (or a given person as a "nazi", and by extension inferring the person's supporters are "nazi sympathisers" or "nazi supporters"), thus invoking the link with the holocaust in people's minds as a way to demean this group. Then these same people interpret a twitter post (which mentioned no specific group) in a way such that they assume that the "target" group mentioned was those very same people who they had previously been referring to as "nazis" - therefore implying the post was indicating that they themselves were acting as the nazi's did - and suddenly nazi comparrisons are "antisemitic" to them...

Asple Pie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2021, 10:15 pm

Racism used to be the norm and completely accepted in culture, which wasn't good. Now the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction and there is push back because it has become hypocritical and discriminatory to anyone having an opinion different from extreme anti-racism.

This the other side of the abuse coin.

First there was racism acceptance, which was harmful to anyone not of the majority race, and ultimately to society.

Now there is discrimination towards anyone who is not actively anti-racist, which is harmful to anyone who has balanced values and opinions, who values free speech and the exchange of ideas, this is equally harmful to society.

I'm hoping that eventually the pendulum will swing back to the center and we can achieve a more sane balance in the functioning of society.

.... which explains why I've always felt a bit odd.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 10:50 pm

Asple Pie wrote:
Racism used to be the norm and completely accepted in culture, which wasn't good. Now the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction and there is push back because it has become hypocritical and discriminatory to anyone having an opinion different from extreme anti-racism.

This the other side of the abuse coin.

First there was racism acceptance, which was harmful to anyone not of the majority race, and ultimately to society.

Now there is discrimination towards anyone who is not actively anti-racist, which is harmful to anyone who has balanced values and opinions, who values free speech and the exchange of ideas, this is equally harmful to society.

I'm hoping that eventually the pendulum will swing back to the center and we can achieve a more sane balance in the functioning of society.

The problem with a pendulum is that the further it is pushed in one direction, the greater the "correction" which occurs when it inevitably swings back...

Instead of either side pushing the pendulum in order to get the change they want (particularly large change), they would be better to work with the "other side" to make gradual small changes to the central location, to allow the pendulum to make minimal movement while still getting the wanted changes - This, however, requires a longer time period, and a willingness to compromise (at least in the short term), which are things that are often considered unthinkable when simply pushing the pendulum takes so much less "work"/effort.

Asple Pie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2021, 10:56 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
NaturalEntity wrote:
But at the same time anti-Semitism is unacceptable and must be punished.

But that is not what is happening. Disney has made a business decision not to employ a professional actor because that actor, who is a defacto representative of that organization, used their public platform to propagate ideas that do not coincide with the company's values. They are not punishing her. She can still say these things. She can still find employment somewhere else. The problem is her unprofessional conduct cost her her job. I am truly sorry for her.

I agree and feel sorry for her. Her comments on her personal site were insensitive, but not necessarily anti-Semitic. She has a right to be insensitive and ignorant in her own time and in her own space. I'm sure she wasn't intending to disrespect anyone and was just trying to share her own thoughts.

Disney has gone way too far, as are a lot of extreme left, controlling, intolerant organizations and people these days. It's hypocritical, they claim to be against hate, but their own actions are hateful against anyone who doesn't share their extreme values and opinions. This is the dark, hateful shadow of humanity looming up to attack the other, under the guise of love. It needs to turn around and look at itself.

.... which explains why I've always felt a bit odd.

Iphone31966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2021, 11:02 pm

I'm trying to see what she actually said. I guess she is comparing todays society like nazi Germany. I think I agree with that. I am raised Jewish and I would agree with that.

I can give an example. In the United States of America. There are 33% with Bachelor Degree in charge and controlling everything. 66% majority without Bachelor Degree. 66% majority are slaves to a system that 33% is running.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 11:57 pm

I apologize if I went too over the top in my argument earlier.

It's just in her interview, it's really depressing what she had to say, because a lot of people were bullying her and attacking her so I think her remark was really more of a final straw, rather than something she would just come out and say on a normal day, just because she could if that makes sense. She was just pushed too far I think, so I guess I blame her bullies a lot more, if that makes sense.

But after she made this remark and got fired from Disney, right after pretty much, Ben Shapiro (who is Jewish) has now given her a movie deal, so I wonder, is her remark really considered anti-semetic, if right after she makes it pretty much, she gets a movie deal from a Jewish celebrity?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 12:14 am

ironpony wrote:
I apologize if I went too over the top in my argument earlier.

It's just in her interview, it's really depressing what she had to say, because a lot of people were bullying her and attacking her so I think her remark was really more of a final straw, rather than something she would just come out and say on a normal day, just because she could if that makes sense. She was just pushed too far I think, so I guess I blame her bullies a lot more, if that makes sense.

But after she made this remark and got fired from Disney, right after pretty much, Ben Shapiro (who is Jewish) has now given her a movie deal, so I wonder, is her remark really considered anti-semetic, if right after she makes it pretty much, she gets a movie deal from a Jewish celebrity?

It's mainly those who have been happy to label others as "nazis" because they don't agree with them who have seen it as "anti-semitic" (possibly because they interpret the words and make assumptions about the intent which would cause the post to imply they, themselves, were acting as "nazis")...They just happen to be a very vocal\outspoken group.

Most people, looking at the post (even excluding Ms Carano's explanation as to what she was intending in the post) would not have come to that conclusion.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 2:57 am

binstein wrote:
WOW, another example of Cancel Culture, whatever happened to freedom of speech?

I am not saying I do or don't agree with her.
This is a general comment. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 3:02 am

League_Girl wrote:
It was anti Semitic because she was trivializing the issue of what happened to the Jews during that time.

You mean like people who use the words 'fascist' and 'denial'? :scratch: