Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 10:30 pm

The MAGA counterparts overseas have managed to get Buzz lightYear banned
https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2022/0 ... s-why.html

When Saudi Arabia banned this kids movie the standing joke was that it was not the lesbian kiss but because Mrs Potato Head was driving a car :lol:

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 10:50 pm

Well, Conservatives need to shut up about Liberals always getting overly offended by things when they themselves seem to get offended even more easily. At this point they not only have a glass houses situation, but their houses are built with the most fragile of glass. If I had a dollar for every time I heard that this is woke, or that such and such company must have an agenda because there's a scene here or there that depicts something they don't like, I'd be rich.

To be quite frank, I can't think of any group that more often makes something more political than it needs to be than the Conservatives. They're definitely far more prolific in boycotting things due to them finding such things offensive, if the internet is any indication. As it stands, I think they either need to stop being a pack of hypocrites or just shut up. :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:12 am

Tross wrote:
Well, Conservatives need to shut up about Liberals always getting overly offended by things when they themselves seem to get offended even more easily. At this point they not only have a glass houses situation, but their houses are built with the most fragile of glass. If I had a dollar for every time I heard that this is woke, or that such and such company must have an agenda because there's a scene here or there that depicts something they don't like, I'd be rich.

To be quite frank, I can't think of any group that more often makes something more political than it needs to be than the Conservatives. They're definitely far more prolific in boycotting things due to them finding such things offensive, if the internet is any indication. As it stands, I think they either need to stop being a pack of hypocrites or just shut up. :roll:

Wrong Planet Thread - Conservative and Right Wing Cancel Culture
As I wrote in the OP of that thread “We have been ranting about woke cancel culture a lot here lately, a lot of it from me. They did not invent this. It was the conservatives that wrote the book. All the wokes have done is written the updated edition.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jun 2022, 11:36 am

Kerch wrote:
IMO they're attempts at being progressive are lackluster and obviously done because they feel like it's come to the point that scoring woke points will score them money points now. I'm not too excited about it.

They never go far enough. It's always lesbians. All this family media doing queer stuff chooses lesbians because that's the safe choice. Even many homophobes don't mind lesbians as much because at least girls kissing is sexy while men kissing is disgusting. But that's what they do, they put a pair of pretty girls kissing for a couple of frames into the background and convince everyone they're being groundbreaking.

It's stupid. I want an animated family film to have 2 ugly old hairy fat gay men as the main characters who love each other and kiss for, like, 10 seconds.
Then it'll be done, the mold will be broken, normalisation will hopefully transpire, nobody will feel the need to top it and we can just get on with our lives instead of making a big deal about being queer when it shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

It’s certainly not “always lesbians”. If we look back at those lists of “first queer Disney characters”, the examples from “Beauty and the Beast”, “Avengers: Endgame”, “Jungle Cruise”, and “Eternals” were all men - not counting the one in “Zootopia” which is only gay if you look at the credits.

Ugly old hairy fat characters don’t get to kiss on screen in general. Perhaps they should! But that’s an ugly old hairy fat character problem moreso than a gay character problem. I will say that Phatos in “Eternals” was a rather portly and hairy fellow, but still looked like Brian Tyree Henry.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jun 2022, 11:44 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Ugly old hairy fat characters don’t get to kiss on screen in general. Perhaps they should! But that’s an ugly old hairy fat character problem moreso than a gay character problem. I will say that Phatos in “Eternals” was a rather portly and hairy fellow, but still looked like Brian Tyree Henry.

Maybe we'll get to ugly hairy fat guys at some moment.
Right now, I see more old people being protagonists and old actors not pretending to be young. It's not Disney but Star Trek: Picard is particularily representing this trend.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>