Western Canadian secession rumors on the web (should we)

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

A_Landy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2012, 9:25 pm

I was reading on several websites about a rumor that I've never heard of in my part on my home country (Western Canada) and I was wondering if we should go our seperate ways from back east (aka Eastern Canada)? :idea:

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 9:33 pm

I believe in self-determination, but nonetheless oppose any ideas of secession from Canada. Although given that Quebec tends to be to the left, I wouldn't blame them for wanting to as long as Stephen Harper as a majority.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 9:36 pm

That is nothing new, the Western Canada concept tends to get more popular when the Conservatives are not in control and use the Ottawa-West antagonism for their gains

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 11:36 pm

yeah we throw it around every so often. sometimes my lovely Alberta government even threatens to go it alone

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 1:45 am

Indeed, don't they even have that Tory flag some girl had for her avatar her a long time ago? =/ Geesh, I feel old. -.-

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 2:01 am

Vigilans wrote:
That is nothing new, the Western Canada concept tends to get more popular when the Conservatives are not in control and use the Ottawa-West antagonism for their gains

Western Separatists really know how the run their house. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Canada_Concept

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 8:04 am

So Quebec is going secede from Canada.

And according to you people all of anglophnoe canada west of quebec is also gonna secede.

So that will leave only New Foundland, Labrador and nova scotia left as "Canada"?

On top of that some of western canada will join Oregan and Washington States in DonnieDarko's vision of the new nation of "cascadia".

Have I got it right?

This is getting quite complicated!

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 5:47 pm

Nope, Newfoundland and Labrador want to leave too. ;)

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 6:05 pm

The Western independence parties have never gotten more than a few hundred to a thousand votes so its just another pipe dream. And a stupid one at that. An independent western Canada would be a neocon's dream come true, not so much the bright future a few Westerner's have in mind

black_prince
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2012, 6:07 pm

I used to think so when I was younger, but I don't now. I'm also much happier with the direction the country is going.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 6:08 pm

...mmmmhm. If that happened, I'd bet decent money they'd be at war in a week. No real army+massive oil reserves+borders America=new American states :lol:

You will reap what you've sown.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 6:23 pm

Vigilans is quite right. The Green Party of Canada has more support in Western Canada than the Western Blockheads.

black_prince wrote:
I used to think so when I was younger, but I don't now. I'm also much happier with the direction the country is going.

Yeah, pissing on the rights of aboriginal Canadians (many of whom live in Western Canada), suppressing the vote, and destroying value-added manufacturing jobs (via dutch disease) is an a-okay direction. :roll:

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 6:35 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Vigilans is quite right. The Green Party of Canada has more support in Western Canada than the Western Blockheads.

black_prince wrote:

Yeah, pissing on the rights of aboriginal Canadians (many of whom live in Western Canada), suppressing the vote, and destroying value-added manufacturing jobs (via dutch disease) is an a-okay direction. :roll:

I think that provides good support for my hypothesis that western independence support goes down when Ottawa is full of CCRAP

black_prince
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2012, 6:37 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:

black_prince wrote:

I said I am happier with the direction in which things are going. Some things are better, some things are worse. Depending on who you are, you'll have different takes and assign different weights to different issues. It happens to be that I think things are overall better.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 7:22 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:

Although, to be fair, that's mostly because of British Columbia.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 7:50 pm

abacacus wrote:
...mmmmhm. If that happened, I'd bet decent money they'd be at war in a week. No real army+massive oil reserves+borders America=new American states :lol:

Thats where your secret alliance with the secessionist Texans comes in.

The Texans will agree to secede from the USA at the same moment you all secede from Canada thus paralyzing Washington and saving you from the US conquest.