Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 11:33 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA5PlJiqOnk[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Power Corrupts

It certainly does which is a good reason not to give government too much of it in exchange for free stuff....

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 2:22 pm

Raptor wrote:
Quote:
Power Corrupts

It certainly does which is a good reason not to give government too much of it in exchange for free stuff....

TANSTAAFL

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch -- Robert A. Heinlein.

ruveyn

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 3:42 pm

power leads to amorality

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 6:09 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Quote:
Power Corrupts

TANSTAAFL

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch -- Robert A. Heinlein.

ruveyn

Careful! Some one might come along and label you "hard hearted"....... :P

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 6:09 pm

Ectryon wrote:
power leads to amorality

À la Machiavelli? :3

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 6:13 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Ectryon wrote:
power leads to amorality

À la Machiavelli? :3

I havent read the prince yet but I mean more in terms of the fact that after enough time you consider yourself beyond morality and ethics so evil and good are just labels

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 1:10 am

Power also attracts people who were corrupt in the first place, this accounts for a lot. People who have an inordinate craving for power tend to be corrupt.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 12:50 pm

Power corrupts through increasing selfishness, which is why it becomes harder for those in great positions of power to consider others before themselves. Ultimately, only God is entitled to absolute power, but even He restrains Himself through His promises.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 1:00 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Power corrupts through increasing selfishness, which is why it becomes harder for those in great positions of power to consider others before themselves. Ultimately, only God is entitled to absolute power, but even He restrains Himself through His promises.

You mean that narcissistic psychopathic god of the old testament who likes to commit mass murder, brutality and demands that humans worship him (or else). Sounds absolutely corrupted by absolute power to me.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 1:10 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:

You mean that narcissistic psychopathic god of the old testament who likes to commit mass murder, brutality and demands that humans worship him (or else). Sounds absolutely corrupted by absolute power to me.
Those assumptions are often based on either a misunderstanding of Old testament culture in relation God's character, or the selfish idea that we as created beings know better than our Creator. If God is the standard for all humanity in moral terms, then His decisions are final. I don't understand everything in the Bible, and there's some of it I wish hadn't happened...but its not my call. People often think of God's authority as arbitrary, but who would any of us hold Him accountable to? He's the Creator of all, including us; it would be self-defeating for us to challenge His rights. We can ask questions and debate with Him; in fact, He invites us to do so. But in the end, His ways take precedence.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 1:16 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:

Those assumptions are often based on either a misunderstanding of Old testament culture in relation God's character, or the selfish idea that we as created beings know better than our Creator. If God is the standard for all humanity in moral terms, then His decisions are final. I don't understand everything in the Bible, and there's some of it I wish hadn't happened...but its not my call. People often think of God's authority as arbitrary, but who would any of us hold Him accountable to? He's the Creator of all, including us; it would be self-defeating for us to challenge His rights. We can ask questions and debate with Him; in fact, He invites us to do so. But in the end, His ways take precedence.

As your god is only a mythological figure, no more real than Zeus or any of the other mythological gods and has created nothing, least of all mankind, I don't care much for his fabled morality and I'll stick with my own thank you very much.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 1:56 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:

As your god is only a mythological figure, no more real than Zeus or any of the other mythological gods and has created nothing, least of all mankind, I don't care much for his fabled morality and I'll stick with my own thank you very much.
God or gods shall I put it are mythological beings no different than dragons unicorns fairies and mermaids! (^_^)

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 2:10 pm

Quote:
God or gods shall I put it are mythological beings no different than dragons unicorns fairies and mermaids! (^_^)

That's some very suspect reasoning. A god is whatever a worshipper determines. If I believe that a certain artist is a god they become a god from my perspective. All you can say is that you refuse to confer the title deity and master on any figure. Remember that to cavemen WE would be gods. We could attempt to explain the wonders of technology but it would avail little.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 2:23 pm

Ectryon wrote:
Quote:

That's some very suspect reasoning. A god is whatever a worshipper determines. If I believe that a certain artist is a god they become a god from my perspective. All you can say is that you refuse to confer the title deity and master on any figure. Remember that to cavemen WE would be gods. We could attempt to explain the wonders of technology but it would avail little.

Just because someone chooses to name something god and worship it doesn't necessary make it real, especially when that "thing" is an abstract object with no empirical evidence of its existence. Hence, mythological gods, from Zeus to the one in the bible, are in the same category of fantastical and mythical beings as dragons, unicorns, fairies and mermaids, for which no empirical evidence of their existence exists either.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 2:33 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Ectryon wrote:
Quote:

Just because someone chooses to name something god and worship it doesn't necessary make it real, especially when that "thing" is an abstract object with no empirical evidence of its existence. Hence, mythological gods, from Zeus to the one in the bible, are in the same category of fantastical and mythical beings as dragons, unicorns, fairies and mermaids, for which no empirical evidence of their existence exists either.

I dont think that gods can be put in the same category at all. The OT God has miracles the bible as an enduring record and the arguments of various apologists. The same cannot be said of other mythological beings. Gods always have conjecture and reasoning behind them which sometimes stretches back for millennia. This merits its own category.

I was talking about any object or being however. One could worship the atom (fallout 3 anyone) if they so chose and from their perspective it becomes a god.