Page 8 of 29 [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 29  Next

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 11:31 pm

blueroses wrote:
It's hard for me to understand what people thought would happen when critical programs got cut. I get frustrated at times with liberals who don't seem to think of the consequences of their spending, but I get just as frustrated with conservatives who don't seem to understand the consequences of their cuts. I can respect philosophical differences and, as someone who works inside the system, really hate to see waste and people taking advantage of social service programs. On the other hand, though, it upsets me when people vote and politicians make choices without having a full, working knowledge of the systems they are cutting. I extend this to people of all political persuasions. I respect how some of these Conservative clients of mine believe in personal responsibility, but I think that includes a responsibility to be an educated voter. Otherwise, it's hard for me to be sympathetic when they start complaining to me later.

I don't want this to come across as arrogant but there's a disconnect between the synapses in the brains of politicians.

The logic of Washington:

Spend more, tax more, oops ran out of money lets take it from welfare.

Smaller government. You keep the basic services that are called for in the constitution and I would argue you keep the services that make America a better place to live, like welfare, and anything having to do with public health, and every other program that we just can't live without (clean air act etc.).

Leave it strictly to the politicians though and everything will be deemed necessary and they'll want to add a few more programs on as well. Obamacare anyone? Yeah I'll take some of that, we'll even find it through medicare, awesome idea!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 11:36 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
blunnet wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
How can anyone with AS be a conservative? The same reasons that an NT can be one.

Lack of empathy (ruveyn) and brains (rather not say) ;)

:roll:

Yeah liberals are generous to the poor with other people's money, sorry but that's not compassion, that's stealing.

Conservatives are generous to the poor with their own money, which they choose to donate, that is real compassion.

Taxation is theft, huh? So, the Pentagon is stealing people's money for national defense by your way of thinking. I know your answer, so I'll say it for you: no, it isn't. But neither are social programs that are financed by taxation, as there is a legitimate national interest at hand.

National Defense is a responsibility of the Federal Government and a legitimate item to collect taxes on.

Kraichgauer wrote:
And by the way, no matter how much wealthy individuals give to charity, there are limits, and so someone - a lot of someones most likely - will be left out. Programs financed by regular taxation will always be able to serve the public.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Yes we saw how effective the emergency agencies ran by the Federal Government were in the Gulf Oil Spill, they were actually interfering with clean up operations, not helping.

Really now? As I recall, the problems arose when BP failed to live up to their responsibility. The government practically had to twist their metaphorical arm out of their socket; and even then, they never lived up to their promises. On top of that, Republican politicians and tea baggers took BP's side, claiming that the government was extorting money from the poor little company, in order to give away welfare to layabouts (the gulf coast businessmen and locals who were the actual victims).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 11:36 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
blunnet wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
How can anyone with AS be a conservative? The same reasons that an NT can be one.

Yeah liberals are generous to the poor with other people's money, sorry but that's not compassion, that's stealing.

Conservatives are generous to the poor with their own money, which they choose to donate, that is real compassion.

Taxation is theft, huh? So, the Pentagon is stealing people's money for national defense by your way of thinking. I know your answer, so I'll say it for you: no, it isn't. But neither are social programs that are financed by taxation, as there is a legitimate national interest at hand.

National Defense is a responsibility of the Federal Government and a legitimate item to collect taxes on.

Kraichgauer wrote:
And by the way, no matter how much wealthy individuals give to charity, there are limits, and so someone - a lot of someones most likely - will be left out. Programs financed by regular taxation will always be able to serve the public.

Yes we saw how effective the emergency agencies ran by the Federal Government were in the Gulf Oil Spill, they were actually interfering with clean up operations, not helping.

Really now? As I recall, the problems arose when BP failed to live up to their responsibility. The government practically had to twist their metaphorical arm out of their socket; and even then, they never lived up to their promises. On top of that, Republican politicians and tea baggers took BP's side, claiming that the government was extorting money from the poor little company, in order to give away welfare to layabouts (the gulf coast businessmen and locals who were the actual victims).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 11:37 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
blunnet wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

You should pay closer attention to Kraichgauer's posts so that you actually respond to his points. He claims that social programs are also a legitimate responsibility of the federal government, and so collecting taxes to fund them is completely justifiable.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 11:39 pm

Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
blunnet wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

You should pay closer attention to Kraichgauer's posts so that you actually respond to his points. He claims that social programs are also a legitimate responsibility of the federal government, and so collecting taxes to fund them is completely justifiable.

Thank you, Orwell.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
blunnet wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Here is where your stance is in the wrong:

As unpopular as BP was and unpopular as the Republican position was, from a moral, legal, and Constitutional Standpoint they were right and the Democrats (including you) were in the wrong.

The Constitution forbids laws from acting retro-actively, they can only apply to events that occur after something becomes law, not something that occurred before the law was written. The Democrats in their zeal to go after BP, crossed the line and were pushing for something that was unconstitutional, to make matters worse I think the Dems new that and didn't care.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 11:58 pm

So, Bastard Petroleum is supposed to get off scott free?
And what of all the American citizens they had left destitute, not to mention the environment? Americans and America are supposed to be the losers in this?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 12:00 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
And what of all the American citizens they had left destitute, not to mention the environment? Americans and America are supposed to be the losers in this?

I'm not saying it is popular, however if you allow the government to ignore the law whenever they feel like it, all of our rights are in jeopardy.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 12:06 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Quote:
In my opinion though, those found to be ablest bodied to work by the most hard hearted conservatives may in fact not be able bodied - or may in fact have a psychological or developmental disorder. Right wing politics have become so intertwined in plans to sort "the wheat from the shaft," that virtually no one's benefits would be safe. Scott Walker's plans for drug testing the recipients of benefits in Florida is actually driven more by politics than it is in the name of law and order. I see more of conservative vindictiveness in these so called reforms, based on the assumption that the poor are getting a free ride.

It’s “wheat from the chaff”, not “wheat from the shaft”.
Just thought I’d point that out………..

Raptor
A hard hearted conservative.
:twisted:

Being that you're obviously versed in the bible enough to correct me on chaff and wheat, how is it you can take pride in being a hard hearted conservative?

Actually I didn’t know that was from the bible.
I am a Christian, though not very religious, but most all of the religious people I’ve ever known are conservatives or at worse only moderates.
Hard hearted? Well, to you aren’t all conservatives hard hearted?

BTW¸ I used “hard hearted conservative” as a title back there mostly for its galling effect.
Apparently it served the purpose…… :twisted:

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 12:12 am

Raptor wrote:
but most all of the religious people I’ve ever known are conservatives or at worse only moderates.

Come hang out at my church sometime. I'm probably the most right-wing person there.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 12:14 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I'm not saying it is popular, however if you allow the government to ignore the law whenever they feel like it, all of our rights are in jeopardy.

Again, what about the rights of those Americans who lost jobs and businesses due to BP's irresponsibility? Somehow, the rule of law when it applies to a super sized oil company somehow pales when compared to the Americans both parties are supposed to represent.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 12:17 am

Orwell wrote:
Raptor wrote:
but most all of the religious people I’ve ever known are conservatives or at worse only moderates.

Come hang out at my church sometime. I'm probably the most right-wing person there.

I know the feeling. My wife and I are doubtlessly the poorest, but also the most liberal people in our church - sort of the mirror image. But I have to call BS on the notion that only conservatives are Christians.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 12:21 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I know the feeling. My wife and I are doubtlessly the poorest, but also the most liberal people in our church - sort of the mirror image. But I have to call BS on the notion that only conservatives are Christians.

I am probably the poorest member of my church, financially speaking- but then I am a student, and that is to be expected for the time being. I really detest the assumption that Christians must be conservative- there is precious little support for right-wing political ideas in the actual teachings of Christ.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 12:27 am

Orwell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I am probably the poorest member of my church, financially speaking- but then I am a student, and that is to be expected for the time being. I really detest the assumption that Christians must be conservative- there is precious little support for right-wing political ideas in the actual teachings of Christ.

Agreed about how Christ's teachings were hardly conducive to right wing politics. When I talk to fellow church members about politics - which happens more often than you might guess - most will agree with me in the end.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 12:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Agreed about how Christ's teachings were hardly conducive to right wing politics. When I talk to fellow church members about politics - which happens more often than you might guess - most will agree with me in the end.

Jesus told his followers not to rebel against the Roman empire but not to agree with it either. He was arguably an anarcho-pacifist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-pacifism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_anarchism

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 12:41 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Well it's funny how anyone that could call themselves Christians would viciously strip all references and symbols of Christianity from the public (Ten Commandments from public or government buildings, prayer from school, “In God We Trust” from currency, etc….) under the pretense of “separation of church and state” or whatever.
Give me a break…..