Your race or sex means you can't speak on this.

Page 8 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Should people be banned from expressing opinions on any topic based on their race or sex?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sometimes 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
No 85%  85%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 34

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Apr 2019, 1:58 pm

Fnord wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
It's a failure of empathy, a failure of the ability to understand that other people can have a completely different perspective from your own due to different life experiences.
So pretty much like a lot of the posts on this forum when advice is given.
Please, I've asked you to leave me alone. Please stop. I've tried just not responding to you but you keep trying to talk to me by directly quoting me. I don't want to play along, I don't enjoy talking to people the way you do. I've tried to explain this several times now. Stop trying to force unpleasant interaction, it doesn't help anyone and as I've previously explained I don't find it funny because I don't share your humour. I'm just asking you to leave me alone. As Joe Biden recently had to learn, not everyone enjoys interacting with people the same way you do and if you can't be flexible then you should leave people alone when they ask you to.
I'm sorry , it wont happen again as I quit
[sarcasm=so thick you could use it for sunscreen]

Congratulations, Miss Thrace. You've finally achieved your special destiny.

[/sarcasm]

:evil:

Is that it?
Is that the reason we lost him?
Then I add my :evil: here, too.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 2:01 pm

Obviously freedom of speech is a good thing but it can't prevent hypocrisy.

I'm a guy, ergo I would be a hypocrite if I were to opine on women's rights. I can say anything I want, that in no way prevents me from being a dumbass.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 2:40 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Antrax wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
Arganger wrote:
I said "Sometimes" because while everyone has a right to an opinion, those directly affected need to have the loudest voice.

Exactly.

So you would agree that income tax policy should primarily be decided by the rich since it affects them the most?

Actually, it doesn't affect them much more than others... not here, at least. I'm not completely sure how the collected tax money is used in the USA, but here it's used for health care, education, taking care of public places etc. stuff that's used by everyone. If the income tax would be cut a lot from the rich people, it would also affect the ones with smaller income since the services they get that are paid with tax money would have to be cut as well. This is why the poor has an equal right to vote about those who decide these things as the rich do.

But sure, if the rich people's taxes could be cut without it affecting the lives of the people who earn a lot less, then it'd be their business alone.

You are conflating Tax Collection Policy, with Government Spending Policy. In the U.S. the U.S. federal income tax was established in 1913. At the time the income tax was 1% of incomes over 3,000 dollars with an additional 6% on incomes over 500,000 dollars. From the very beginning income tax has had a direct effect on persons with higher income greater than that on persons of lower income. Prior to that there was no income tax, and yes the government still spent money.

Now tax collection and tax spending is related as governments typically increase taxes to pay for more government programs, but there are many schemes of taxation, and few if any governments 1 to 1 raise taxes in according with spending, hence the deficit/debt crisis. Thus, we can safely say that income tax policy has a DIRECT effect on the people it is collected from, but an INDIRECT effect on the persons receiving the benefits of government programs. For equivalency, we can say that abortion has a DIRECT effect on the woman getting the abortion, but an INDIRECT effect on the people who would later pay to care for the child (the father or state).

In the U.S. in 2017 the top 10% of income earners paid 70.6% of federal income tax. The bottom 90% paid 29.4% income tax. The top 50% paid 97.2% of income tax, while the bottom 50% paid 2.8%. This means that the top 10% of the country paid more than twice as much as the rest of the country combined, and the top half paid 25 times what the bottom half paid. The DIRECT effects of income tax policy affect high income owners more than anyone else.

Last edited by Antrax on 05 Apr 2019, 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 2:43 pm

cberg wrote:
Obviously freedom of speech is a good thing but it can't prevent hypocrisy.

I'm a guy, ergo I would be a hypocrite if I were to opine on women's rights. I can say anything I want, that in no way prevents me from being a dumbass.

I'm guessing Northern Abolitionists were hypocrites for opining on Southern Slaveholders rights to own slaves?

After all they didn't own slaves, what could they know. [Sarcasm in case anyone couldn't tell]

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 3:04 pm

That's an externality where those people were concerned. Human rights are distinct from human beings.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 4:06 pm

cberg wrote:
That's an externality where those people were concerned. Human rights are distinct from human beings.

A statement that could easily be applied to the abortion debate.

My point is many abolitionists were neither slaveholders nor slaves. They had no experience with slavery. Yet they believed is was wrong and made that belief known.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 4:08 pm

That's a fairly moot point unless you think slavery is at all voluntary. It's just a crime, not part of anyone's persona.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Apr 2019, 4:15 pm

cberg wrote:
That's a fairly moot point unless you think slavery is at all voluntary. It's just a crime, not part of anyone's persona.

I miss the point that would make a fundamental difference between this and saying the same about e.g. abortion.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 4:18 pm

Dictating laws about human organs I don't have would make me a hypocrite.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Apr 2019, 4:29 pm

cberg wrote:

But dictating laws about social and economic relationships I have never expirienced wouldn't?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 4:36 pm

magz wrote:
Sly, that is exactly my point!

No, I was against circumcision when we were discussing it in another thread. Or, to be more correct, I was surprised by prevalence of it in USA and I found it weird - in my country, only religious Jews do it for non-medical reasons and there is not many of them, so I have never even seen a "cut" man IRL.

I apologize then. Sorry :(

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Apr 2019, 4:44 pm

sly279 wrote:
magz wrote:

No, I was against circumcision when we were discussing it in another thread. Or, to be more correct, I was surprised by prevalence of it in USA and I found it weird - in my country, only religious Jews do it for non-medical reasons and there is not many of them, so I have never even seen a "cut" man IRL.

[Darth Vader's voice]
Apology accepted
[/Darth Vader's voice]

But does it make any difference if I was for or against? I expressed an opinion about a human organ I don't own, didn't I?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 4:45 pm

magz wrote:
cberg wrote:

I miss the point that would make a fundamental difference between this and saying the same about e.g. abortion.

Point is where they disagree it’s wrong and whee they agree it’s right. If it’s something they want you shouldn’t have a say if you’re oppose it, but if it’s something they oppose they should have a say regardless if it’s something you want.
Ie they just want to have control over everything and you to do what they say.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 4:46 pm

magz wrote:
cberg wrote:

But dictating laws about social and economic relationships I have never expirienced wouldn't?

Well the entire world is part of the same economy so I'll have to say no to that.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Apr 2019, 4:49 pm

cberg wrote:
magz wrote:
cberg wrote:

Well the entire world is part of the same economy so I'll have to say no to that.

You say no to what?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 4:49 pm

magz wrote:
sly279 wrote:
magz wrote:

[Darth Vader's voice]
Apology accepted
[/Darth Vader's voice]

But does it make any difference if I was for or against? I expressed an opinion about a human organ I don't own, didn't I?

I don’t think they care if a man who’s pro abortion speaks out. They only want men who are anti abortion to not be able to speak out, not ,en in general. Similar to have they don’t want women who are anti abortion or anti feminist to have a say and shame them.

Many pro gun people believe anti gun people shouldn’t have a say or vote in the matter of guns.

It certainly bothers me people who have zero knowledge about guns, gun crime states, murder rat s etc, are getting to destroy our rights simply cause it won’t effect them so who cares. To be honest I stay out of things I have no knowledge on, I wish they would too, but I wouldn’t want to made illegal or tell someone they can’t voice their opinion