What's up with all the conservatives on here?

Page 8 of 19 [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 7:30 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Also interesting that part of the definition of liberalism includes freedom of speech.
This is definitely *not* the case today with lefty political correctness on steroids, here in Oz. 8O

Interesting that you associate liberalism with "the left". What is the major right-wing party in Australia called?

(Of course, political correctness is in no way contradictory with freedom of speech)

I see this thread has developed a life of it's own. Not sure if anyone answered the question.

Don't be fooled by the name "Liberal party" as here in Oz we call them the LNP (LIberal-National coalition) or conservatives or simply the coalition.

They are made up of a spectrum of "types" but they all share conservative social and economic values that revolve around few things
1) The individual is paramount so taxes are bad thing since why should those who generate wealth have to pay too look after the poor or invalid (the latter include the disabled)
2) education is not a right, only if you pay for it
3) health is not a right only if you can pay for it
4) there is a class system made up of those who are educated, have wealth and own land/businesses and those who don't
5) the environment can bounce back after you dig everything out of the ground, jobs are more important trees and the carbon pollution
6) The country is English speaking Anglo-Celtic and the culture should be protected from immigrants

So if you fall on the right side of the above divide you naturally vote conservative, however in recent years (including the last federal election) we are getting working class people who think because of points 5 and 6 they should vote conservative. Since the 1990s we have only had one left wing government. Australia is truly a poster boy for neo-liberalism.

Case in point is that I'm probably the only Aussie on WP who dares to support left wing ideals

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 7:32 pm

RetroGamer is not thrilled with conservatives, either.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 7:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just because someone is not into guns doesn’t mean he/she is a bad person.

I don’t believe in taking people’s guns away.

I know plenty of people who aren’t into guns but are super pro gun and oppose all gun control.

If you support gun control then you support attacks on me and taking guns away.

Just like most pro abortion people when surveyed said they’d never use abortions. They just support others being able to.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 7:42 pm

Wonder how fast a “what’s with all the liberals on here “ thread would be shut down by mods.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 7:53 pm

sly279 wrote:
Wonder how fast a “what’s with all the liberals on here “ thread would be shut down by mods.

I think we are in the minority so it ain't gonna happen

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 7:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Most people are being fairly civil. We haven’t degenerated into personal attacks...yet. :P

Most people I know and have been friends with are conservative.

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 7:58 pm

"She cant even speak English ! "

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 8:02 pm

ollychan wrote:

Like someone pls explain what the hell on earth after all is liberalism .

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 8:09 pm

I know I'm really late to the thread but:

I've seen a relatively steady drum beat, in a lot of places but quite often autistic forums to the effect of 'Why are you voting against your own interests?' to conservatives.

This video evidences that Van Jones even gets that this argument is a crock:

Really, first and foremost, you should care about what's true, of course I get that not everyone is (heck not even most people are) capable of doing that. If truth is not in line with your interests you might need to refactor your interests or to what degree you absolutely need them resolved if nothing can be done about either the truth or your interests.

That said there are a lot of ignorant conservatives out there. There are a lot of ignorant liberals out there. I like to think that the idiots generally get the hint and find something else to do after a while.

Back to the way Van Jones phrased it - if you see a devout conservative on here and their writing style is high school or better you can make the assumption that they have political, economic, or religious beliefs that make the baggage you see on the right either a bit less or even significantly less than the alternative.

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 8:11 pm

ollychan wrote:
ollychan wrote:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 8:13 pm

cyberdad wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Most people here are liberal,there’s literally only 2-3 actual conservatives here then another 2 non liberals. Everyone else is liberals. Notice it’s just me basically here talking?
Two conservatives are darmok and lovenothate. Dwrmok just posts in the gif bread and one other thread, he hasn’t even replied to this thread.
But there’s easily 10+ liberals posting in this thread alone, so how again is liberals the minority?
There’s you, sweet leaf, auntlabby, tillight,Kraft,saveferris,grand inquisitor,mr bigmouth,fnord,break,asparofme,cyberg,walrus,miss lizard, and Kraichgauer to name a few.

For neither there, me, Pepe, John, Ezra,and vegetable man.

Yelp librals are a minority here :roll:
Did you know all the mods are liberals? Not a single right leaning or conservative mod. Alex is liberal too.
There were other conservatives but they were banned or forced out. Dox and raptor.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 8:17 pm

sly279 wrote:
Did you know all the mods are liberals? Not a single right leaning or conservative mod. .

Did you bother to read the current mod "techstepgenr8tion" post? or "saveferris"

my turn :roll:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 8:18 pm

sly279 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Magna wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The rugged individualism of conservatism appeals to some autistics who like being left alone.

Absolutely. I'm fiercely independent. I consider myself a centrist; for example, I believe the Democrat and the Republican parties are two sides of the same bad penny. Even so, the pervasive liberal goal of attempting to force regulate and micromanage an endless number of aspects of the life of the individual is darkly sickening to me. I'm very much in the "leave me alone" and "I know what's best for me" camp.

Also, I have to say, OP, your argument that conservatives are unfavorable to autistics and I would presume you'd think people with disabilities in general (I'd want to see proof) could be countered with the liberal ideology which accepts and promotes eugenics in the form of softly encouraging abortion of infants In Utero who test positive for many things that are considered disabilities.

If a fetal test was conclusive at diagnosing autism In Utero, does anyone here really think it's a stretch to assume that abortions would occur for that reason alone? The thought of my yet to be born fellow autistic "brothers and sisters" never getting a chance to live saddens me.

Please consider that as well.

Also, you could do a poll, but I would guess 80% of people here would identify or align with "liberal" ideology versus people who identify or align with "conservative" ideology. Personally, I'm completely fine with it either way.

Last time I checked, it was largely conservatives who were into eugenics.

Read a history book, it was Democrats.
Republicans are against abortion and want ever kid born regardless of how disabled they are.

I think that every kid should be born regardless of how disabled they are. This isn't 1933 Germany.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 8:22 pm

ollychan wrote:
ollychan wrote:

What does Chelsea Handler have to do with liberalism?

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 8:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ollychan wrote:
ollychan wrote:

What does Chelsea Handler have to do with liberalism?

A black woman (not too black) will get elected before a white woman does.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 8:30 pm

I’m not a “liberal” in all things.

I’m more a pragmatist.