Page 9 of 15 [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next

If guns were made illegal everywhere.
The world would be more safe, because there would be less gun crime. 23%  23%  [ 16 ]
The world would be less safe, because only criminals would have them and the law abiding would have no protection. 39%  39%  [ 28 ]
It would make no difference. 20%  20%  [ 14 ]
I'm really not sure how it would be. 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 71

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 10:39 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
There are more guns in the US than any other part of the world.
There is more gun violence in the US than any part of the world.
So therefore, more guns correlate to more homicide!
Correlation =/= causation. You have a tunnel vision when it comes to guns. You only focus on gun ownership when it comes to homicide while ignoring other factors such as quality of education, income equality, subcultural norms, the state of the economy, etc.

lostonearth35 wrote:
There was a shooting in Toronto last month because people have been getting guns from the US. I do not wish for Canada to become just like the US. :(
The crime rate in Toronto has been declining since '91. You think one shooting at the Eaton Centre is a sign of some statistical trend? Is it really wise to base your judgment on things such as mall shootings that rarely even happen? I'm assuming you're the type to thins Toronto had no shootings before 2005.

lostonearth35 wrote:
I hate guns. I hate how testosterone-ravaged males think they are "cool" :evil:
You do know that this is an AS forum right? Why is every other special interest supposed to be accepted while having a special interest in guns is grounds for you to be a pseudo-intellectual douche towards us?

lostonearth35 wrote:
I think the excuse that "if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns". is utter garbage.
Look at our drug war. Are people with medical marijuana licences the only ones smoking weed?

lostonearth35 wrote:
Even when people are allowed to have guns, they get killed by guns anyway.
No s**t sherlock, nothing in life is risk-free. And the vast majority of people are killed by illegally obtained guns.

lostonearth35 wrote:
END. OF. STORY.
For people like you maybe. But for people who actually value intellectualism, there are still many uncertainties on a complex topic that are necessary to address.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 2:49 pm

So, you want to argue for gun control? Mentally complete this handy checklist:

Have you ever owned a gun?

Handled one?

Shot one?

Taken one apart?

Have you ever bought a gun and become familiar with the procedure for doing so?

Do you know the laws concerning machineguns and what is required to own one?

Do you know the difference between an assault rifle and an "assault weapon"?

Do you know the difference between the terms automatic and semi-automatic?

Have you ever carried a gun on your person?

Have you ever defended yourself or your loved ones from harm with a gun?

Do you know the difference between a .223 Remmington and a 5.56mm Nato round?

Can you describe the functional differences between an AR-15 and a Ruger Mini-14?

No googling on the trivia questions!

- Rick Sanchez

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2012, 4:27 pm

I can say yes to most of those questions but it's because of military service and research. I've never owned a firearm but I spend time thinking about what kind I want to get. I've been looking at the SU16 as a reasonably priced reliable and handy carbine for my purposes. It has very simple function and is easy to maintain. It will take .223 or 5.56, so a variety of quality inexpensive ammunition is available. I just want it for target shooting and something for a s**t hits the fan situation. I'd also get a simple pump action 12 gauge for home defense and either a Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22 for more inexpensive target shooting, I'd maybe get a Ruger Mk3 too for the same purpose. A .357 Blackhawk along with a lever action .357 carbine (Marlin 1894 or Henry Big Boy) seems like a really cool cowboy type combination to me too, and I could use cheaper .38 rounds for practice. A more expensive carbine/pistol combo would be an M1 Carbine along with .30 Carbine Blackhawk. And I think I'd like a bolt action 30-06 to go along with my dad's old semi-auto Winchester 30-06 for if I ever wanted to reach out and touch something far away.

My landlord doesn't allow any firearms on his property though, so I've been holding off, though I suppose I could join a club and store them there. Several of these firearms I mentioned are owned by my grandmother (used to be my grandfather's) they're just collecting dust right now, I'm sure she'd let me have them for a very reasonable price.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 9:20 pm

Mack27 wrote:
I can say yes to most of those questions but it's because of military service and research. I've never owned a firearm but I spend time thinking about what kind I want to get. I've been looking at the SU16 as a reasonably priced reliable and handy carbine for my purposes. It has very simple function and is easy to maintain. It will take .223 or 5.56, so a variety of quality inexpensive ammunition is available. I just want it for target shooting and something for a sh** hits the fan situation. I'd also get a simple pump action 12 gauge for home defense and either a Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22 for more inexpensive target shooting, I'd maybe get a Ruger Mk3 too for the same purpose. A .357 Blackhawk along with a lever action .357 carbine (Marlin 1894 or Henry Big Boy) seems like a really cool cowboy type combination to me too, and I could use cheaper .38 rounds for practice. A more expensive carbine/pistol combo would be an M1 Carbine along with .30 Carbine Blackhawk. And I think I'd like a bolt action 30-06 to go along with my dad's old semi-auto Winchester 30-06 for if I ever wanted to reach out and touch something far away.

My landlord doesn't allow any firearms on his property though, so I've been holding off, though I suppose I could join a club and store them there. Several of these firearms I mentioned are owned by my grandmother (used to be my grandfather's) they're just collecting dust right now, I'm sure she'd let me have them for a very reasonable price.

Have you considered an AR15 instead of the SU16?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 9:55 pm

Raptor wrote:
Have you considered an AR15 instead of the SU16?

That's a significant price difference and ARs are probably forbidden inside Boston and hard to get in the rest of the state.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 10:01 pm

Yet again Mr. Birdman ignores everyone to focus on the people putting out the fallacious arguments. No wonder he thinks the anti-gun people are idiots.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 10:04 pm

Shau wrote:
Yet again Mr. Birdman ignores everyone to focus on the people putting out the fallacious arguments. No wonder he thinks the anti-gun people are idiots.

Yes, he's quite terrible isn't he.....
:tongue:

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 11:00 pm

Criminals don't obey the law, so why would a law against owning guns make a criminal think twice? We have places were using a gun in a crime can elevate a regular crime to a death penalty office and criminals still buck the law.

Gun Free Zones=Victim Concentration Zones.

Gun free zones never stopped a criminal, only law abiding citizens.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 2:18 am

Raptor wrote:
Shau wrote:

I would have used the word "unproductive". But whatevs, enjoy your time picking apart poorly-constructed arguments. Not my idea of fun, personally.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 3:10 am

Shau wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Shau wrote:

I would have used the word "unproductive". But whatevs, enjoy your time picking apart poorly-constructed arguments. Not my idea of fun, personally.

Without logical fallacies the gun control lobby could not project their phobias onto the rest of the world. :roll:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 3:31 am

John_Browning wrote:
Without logical fallacies the gun control lobby could not project their phobias onto the rest of the world. :roll:

Let's not forget cooked statistics, emotional rhetoric and made up words now, the gun controllers couldn't function without them either. :lol:

- Rick Sanchez

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 4:00 am

John_Browning wrote:

If you think you've the testicular fortitude, step right into the ring, mate. Or continue to jeer from the sidelines.

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2012, 4:34 am

Quote:
Gun Free Zones=Victim Concentration Zones.

Gun free zones never stopped a criminal, only law abiding citizens.

Right. That's why people rob, rape and kill at Olympics or other sports/cultural events and airports every minute. Gun Free Zones=Victim Concentration Zones.

You probably can't imagine living in gun free zone. In gun free zone, even criminals don't walk out with guns, unless they go for hit. Because gun would immediately indicate "this guy hides something".

John_Browning & Mack27 - I didn't mean alarm. Imagine painfully loud handhold siren...
Point is, in 99% of situations you don't need a gun aka deadly force that can be misused.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 4:47 am

aSKperger wrote:
Right. That's why people rob, rape and kill at Olympics or other sports/cultural events and airports every minute. Gun Free Zones=Victim Concentration Zones.

And yet, did you ever notice that whenever there is a large scale shooting, it's at a school or some other place that bans the carry of firearms?

aSKperger wrote:
You probably can't imagine living in gun free zone.

Ever carried a gun? Could you imagine doing so? Your argument cuts both ways, pick one.

aSKperger wrote:
Point is, in 99% of situations you don't need a gun aka deadly force that can be misused.

Point is, YOU don't get to make that call, we do, and we have.

- Rick Sanchez

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 5:08 am

Time to trot out the short version of my gun control challenge:

Name one country that was experiencing violence, adopted strict gun control, and then saw significant decreases in total violence (not "gun violence", an invented and dishonest term) as a result. Countries that never had widespread firearms ownership, such as Japan, don't count, and the drop has to be attributable to gun control and not changing social or economic circumstances. Documentation is required, and from a reputable source, i.e. not the VPC or their ilk, who's dishonesty would make Rod Blagojevich blush.

- Rick Sanchez

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 5:15 am

No matter which way you swing it, America still needs to sort out whatever cultural or economic elements are responsible for allowing criminals to get a hold of so many guns, not to mention the social circumstances that produce these criminals to begin with.

Removing most of the guns might treat the symptoms, but you're still left with the disease, one that might just mutate into billy clubs and butterfly knives. The anti-gun control people are too focused on palliative care, and not enough on cure, although I'd be willing to admit that a mixed approach could be the best course, if gun control can be soundly demonstrated to work in the US (Not just anywhere, it has to work SPECIFICALLY IN THE UNITED STATES).