What's up with all the conservatives on here?

Page 10 of 19 [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 12:25 am

sly279 wrote:
It’s not my special interest it’s my right and only way to defend myself. As it is for a lot of people. Like women who’ve been raped ,abused by their exes who threaten to kill the, and it takes the police 20 mins to arrive, or some areas the police only work m-f 9-5 so if he shows up on weekend she’s just on her own. So she gets a gun, it now the sate wants to tske her gun away and leave her defense. This one lady got raped and beat near death and all 911 could do was listen as the police were closed, and state police were hours away.
Recently a judge in California ruled mag bans illegal as they limit peoples rights to defend themselves and don’t stop mass shootings. This lady shot a guy 6 times and he still beat the s**t out of her. There’s this video that has a guy defending his house agains multiple attacker’s, shoots one shoots another gun runs empty, you hear gun shots, you hear his wife and kids being killed. Judge looked at multiple cases where people had more then 10 and less then 10 and found it negatively effected self defense.

See my separate post on guns here.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 2:42 am

So we've gone from guns to abortion? Ok, I have an opinion on that too.

Up until recently, I'd thought of myself as pro-choice because my conclusions lined up more closely with pro-choice conclusions than pro-life, despite the fact that the ideas that lead me to my conclusion are different from most pro-choice people. Recently, it occurred to me that pro-life/pro-choice is a false dichotomy, and that I am only circumstancially pro-choice, so even though my views haven't changed on this subject, the way I would frame them has.

So in most instances I am pro choice. I'm pro-choice in the case of rape, incest, if the pregnancy threatens the mother's life, if the child will have severe disability and if protection was used and it failed to work. I'm also for the father's right to get a "legal abortion" in which the father has no financial obligations to the child but also no parental rights, in any case where the mother could have an abortion if she chooses to, but chooses not to, and the father doesn't want to be a father. If the mother can get out of being a mother, the father should damn well be extended the same choice. You know, financial autonomy and all that.

Anyway, so the only time I'm not pro-choice is if the couple in question had unprotected sex and this results in a pregnancy, and abortion is really just after-the-fact birth control. Now I do think they should be able to get an abortion, but not because "woman's body, woman's choice" (as far as I'm concerned, the choice was already made when you had unprotected sex), but because I don't think it's right to bring a child into the world when the two people who are supposed to be this child's closest allies in this world, want nothing to do with them. I think that is a terrible start to life, and it is only for the reason that the child will have a very bad start in life that I think abortion should be allowed in the case of unprotected sex. I'd be in favour of imposing penalties on anyone, woman or man, who is responsible for multiple abortions occurring as a result of irresponsible unprotected sex.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 3:05 am

breaks0 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Get a woman pregnant and she and the government will own and control your body. Work or prison either way it’s theirs.

Yet feminism opposes giving men the same choice they want women to have.
That’s not equality.

That's a nice twisted way of looking at abortion and feminism. How exactly do you expect women to sympathize with your situation of having ASD if you won't support her autonomy over her own body? This is why bigmouth started this thread as I said back on page 1 because being conservative and being on the spectrum is oxymoronic and really like shooting yourself in the foot unless you're rich or a white nationalist or something because it does go against your material interests in many ways. I can go into why in a later post.

And in terms of your labeling most people here as "liberal" in fact you said everyone else. Well I'm not. I'm a Marxist and there are some others to the left of liberalism as Americans define it on WP too. As to the relative proportion of posters, I don't think you're right about that either. I see alot of conservative posts on this thread actually starting with the many you've posted and you're far from being alone or even few in number. You also have to make a distinction between liberal and progressive because they're quite different. Let alone leftist like me. I'll go more into that later.

Equality
the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities.

Giving women the right to say I don’t want this baby and responsible it saying ,en don’t have that same right isn’t equality.
Feminism doesn’t equal women, most women aren’t feminism, a lot hate feminism. A lot don’t support abortions. So I’d rather be with a woman who’s nit a feminist and isn’t pro abortion. Semester there’s quite a lot of them to choose from.

No it isn’t I think being asd and liberal is shooting yourselves in the foot.
You saying conservatives are all rich or white nationalist is like so,done saying liberals are all Antifa.

You sew few non liberals who post a lot.but not a lot of different posters. Gun rights isn’t a conservative issue it’s a freedom issue. I’m a constitutionalist if anything. Leave the constitution and bill of rights alone and we won’t have any issues. What’s scary is that supporting the constitution, bill of rights and laws is seen as conservative and horrible thing by so many people.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 4:41 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:

Up until recently, I'd thought of myself as pro-choice because my conclusions lined up more closely with pro-choice conclusions than pro-life, despite the fact that the ideas that lead me to my conclusion are different from most pro-choice people. Recently, it occurred to me that pro-life/pro-choice is a false dichotomy, and that I am only circumstancially pro-choice, so even though my views haven't changed on this subject, the way I would frame them has.

So in most instances I am pro choice. I'm pro-choice in the case of rape, incest, if the pregnancy threatens the mother's life, if the child will have severe disability and if protection was used and it failed to work. I'm also for the father's right to get a "legal abortion" in which the father has no financial obligations to the child but also no parental rights, in any case where the mother could have an abortion if she chooses to, but chooses not to, and the father doesn't want to be a father. If the mother can get out of being a mother, the father should damn well be extended the same choice. You know, financial autonomy and all that.

Anyway, so the only time I'm not pro-choice is if the couple in question had unprotected sex and this results in a pregnancy, and abortion is really just after-the-fact birth control. Now I do think they should be able to get an abortion, but not because "woman's body, woman's choice" (as far as I'm concerned, the choice was already made when you had unprotected sex), but because I don't think it's right to bring a child into the world when the two people who are supposed to be this child's closest allies in this world, want nothing to do with them. I think that is a terrible start to life, and it is only for the reason that the child will have a very bad start in life that I think abortion should be allowed in the case of unprotected sex. I'd be in favour of imposing penalties on anyone, woman or man, who is responsible for multiple abortions occurring as a result of irresponsible unprotected sex.

I have nothing to add to this; it's how I see it, too, including a man's right to not be a father.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 7:37 am

sly279 wrote:
Get use to 4 more years of trump and free America then you guys can have your 8 years of Democrats to destroy the bill of rights and constitution and turn our nation into a dictator hell, where we have no rights and questioning the party gets you sent to a reeducation camp to be killed.

Where on Earth do you get the idea that Democrats want to do that???

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 7:42 am

Fireblossom wrote:
The Grand Inquisitor wrote:

I have nothing to add to this; it's how I see it, too, including a man's right to not be a father.

I would be fine with it if men could get a "financial abortion," providing that such an action would permanently terminate any and all parental rights of the father.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 7:51 am

sly279 wrote:
breaks0 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Get a woman pregnant and she and the government will own and control your body. Work or prison either way it’s theirs.

Yet feminism opposes giving men the same choice they want women to have.
That’s not equality.

That's a nice twisted way of looking at abortion and feminism. How exactly do you expect women to sympathize with your situation of having ASD if you won't support her autonomy over her own body? This is why bigmouth started this thread as I said back on page 1 because being conservative and being on the spectrum is oxymoronic and really like shooting yourself in the foot unless you're rich or a white nationalist or something because it does go against your material interests in many ways. I can go into why in a later post.

And in terms of your labeling most people here as "liberal" in fact you said everyone else. Well I'm not. I'm a Marxist and there are some others to the left of liberalism as Americans define it on WP too. As to the relative proportion of posters, I don't think you're right about that either. I see alot of conservative posts on this thread actually starting with the many you've posted and you're far from being alone or even few in number. You also have to make a distinction between liberal and progressive because they're quite different. Let alone leftist like me. I'll go more into that later.

Equality
the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities.

Giving women the right to say I don’t want this baby and responsible it saying ,en don’t have that same right isn’t equality.
Feminism doesn’t equal women, most women aren’t feminism, a lot hate feminism. A lot don’t support abortions. So I’d rather be with a woman who’s nit a feminist and isn’t pro abortion. Semester there’s quite a lot of them to choose from.

No it isn’t I think being asd and liberal is shooting yourselves in the foot.
You saying conservatives are all rich or white nationalist is like so,done saying liberals are all Antifa.

You sew few non liberals who post a lot.but not a lot of different posters. Gun rights isn’t a conservative issue it’s a freedom issue. I’m a constitutionalist if anything. Leave the constitution and bill of rights alone and we won’t have any issues. What’s scary is that supporting the constitution, bill of rights and laws is seen as conservative and horrible thing by so many people.

I don’t think you fully understand what “feminism” is. It’s the desire for equality. There are extremists, but that doesn’t reflect the majority of feminists.

When someone says that they don’t like “feminism,” it’s puzzling to me, unless you’re in some fundamentalist group. I have lots of experience with those and have heard “feminism” repeatedly bashed based on religious grounds.

One can say that one wants equal rights for both sexes, but due to inequality based on gender that still persists in a variety of realms, a word that reflects women’s struggle in this area makes a lot of sense.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 8:01 am

sly279 wrote:
Liberal politicians In the us are not in favored of individual freedom they support removing all freedoms and having a government control all aspects of our lives.

Well, no. Conservatives and (American-style) liberals differ on WHICH aspects of our lives they want the government to regulate.

Conservatives are more likely to favor continuing the failed War on Drugs, for example (although, these days, this has become an issue that crosses ideological lines to some extent). Also many religious right wingers would like to go back to the days when homosexual sex acts were outlawed, and are, of course, the main ones who want to outlaw abortion.

On the other hand, conservatives want more "freedom" to do things like pollute land and water, which infringes on the rights and lives of the people who live on said land and water.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 8:21 am

Magna wrote:
Even so, the pervasive liberal goal of attempting to force regulate and micromanage an endless number of aspects of the life of the individual is darkly sickening to me. I'm very much in the "leave me alone" and "I know what's best for me" camp.

Which specific regulations, generally favored by liberals but not by conservatives, are bothersome to you?

Magna wrote:
Also, I have to say, OP, your argument that conservatives are unfavorable to autistics and I would presume you'd think people with disabilities in general (I'd want to see proof) could be countered with the liberal ideology which accepts and promotes eugenics in the form of softly encouraging abortion of infants In Utero who test positive for many things that are considered disabilities.

If a fetal test was conclusive at diagnosing autism In Utero, does anyone here really think it's a stretch to assume that abortions would occur for that reason alone? The thought of my yet to be born fellow autistic "brothers and sisters" never getting a chance to live saddens me.

Indeed eugenics has the potential to become more and more of a issue as genetics research advances. However, to prevent this, what's needed is not to prohibit abortion, but better regulation of the uses of amniocentesis.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 10:04 am

@ Sly , yes you are outnumbered when it comes to some of your political views and it will feel like you are being ganged up on , but I can assure you I will not tolerate anyone attacking you on a personal level. Gawd I hate PPR :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 10:27 am

sly279 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Wonder how fast a “what’s with all the liberals on here “ thread would be shut down by mods.

I think we are in the minority so it ain't gonna happen

Most people here are liberal,there’s literally only 2-3 actual conservatives here then another 2 non liberals. Everyone else is liberals. Notice it’s just me basically here talking?
Two conservatives are darmok and lovenothate. Dwrmok just posts in the gif bread and one other thread, he hasn’t even replied to this thread.
But there’s easily 10+ liberals posting in this thread alone, so how again is liberals the minority?
There’s you, sweet leaf, auntlabby, tillight,Kraft,saveferris,grand inquisitor,mr bigmouth,fnord,break,asparofme,cyberg,walrus,miss lizard, and Kraichgauer to name a few.

For neither there, me, Pepe, John, Ezra,and vegetable man.

Yelp librals are a minority here :roll:
Did you know all the mods are liberals? Not a single right leaning or conservative mod. Alex is liberal too.
There were other conservatives but they were banned or forced out. Dox and raptor.

Everybody to the left of you is not a “liberal”

Let’s see I started a thread about the enabling and cowering of SJW’s, said repeatedly said the left is a long term danger, sided with Sandmann over stolen valor Phillips, when the student strike over gun control happened last year spent a whole thread arguing with Goldfish because I thought the schools not punishing to encouraging it was wrong because 1. I thought students should protest after hours 2. I taught it taught the wrong lesson about what happens in life if you walk out of a job to attend a political protest. I go further then Van Jones and have said the idea the that people not like them are stupid, uncouth, racists, and sexists are not just something progressives say too often, it is the central tenant of current progressive world view.

The people in this section and Autistics in general do not fit into neat tribal boundaries, hell we just don’t fit in. For example Fnord holds a lot of left views but he oft criticizes whining and lazyness. Ezra is very cynical about progressives but has he said he is for positions thought of as conservative a lot?

I don’t think liberal is much of a thing nowadays. By liberal I mean not only more but less then socialist government intervention, but pro union, truly down with the working to middle class, optimistic and positive not cynical about people. Arguably the last true major liberal figure in American politics was Walter Mondale and that was 35 years ago.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 10:55 am

sly279 wrote:
The people who are pro gun are pro all the rights, the ones who are anti gun want to get ride of all the rights. They already attacking free speech, and freedom of press of non liberal press people.

This claim is based on what exactly?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 11:01 am

sly279 wrote:
Democrats are attacking early ever single right in the bill of rights.

Can you give specific recent examples, applicable to most (not just a few) Democrats, for "every single right in the bill of rights"?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 11:22 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Democrats are attacking early ever single right in the bill of rights.

Can you give specific recent examples, applicable to most (not just a few) Democrats, for "every single right in the bill of rights"?

It’s also not a sacred document. It was written a long time ago and won’t be entirely applicable in modern times.

I don’t fully get the reverence and fervor it’s given.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 11:44 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Magna wrote:
Even so, the pervasive liberal goal of attempting to force regulate and micromanage an endless number of aspects of the life of the individual is darkly sickening to me. I'm very much in the "leave me alone" and "I know what's best for me" camp.

Which specific regulations, generally favored by liberals but not by conservatives, are bothersome to you?

Magna wrote:
Also, I have to say, OP, your argument that conservatives are unfavorable to autistics and I would presume you'd think people with disabilities in general (I'd want to see proof) could be countered with the liberal ideology which accepts and promotes eugenics in the form of softly encouraging abortion of infants In Utero who test positive for many things that are considered disabilities.

If a fetal test was conclusive at diagnosing autism In Utero, does anyone here really think it's a stretch to assume that abortions would occur for that reason alone? The thought of my yet to be born fellow autistic "brothers and sisters" never getting a chance to live saddens me.

Indeed eugenics has the potential to become more and more of a issue as genetics research advances. However, to prevent this, what's needed is not to prohibit abortion, but better regulation of the uses of amniocentesis.

I know you're asking for specifics, but I'll preface by saying that generally, "conservatives" have favored less government and an emphasis on individual freedom whereas generally "liberals" have favored more government and more regulation of individual freedom "for the good of the people" as a whole. No question either belief system can be prone to abuse, but I will always favor individual freedom as a tenet over the latter.

Specifics:

At my local rural level. I grew up in this area and moved back here after living in an urban area for approximately 15 years. Traditionally this rural area was "conservative" in that neighbors got along without volumes of regulations, ordinances, etc. It has turned in the last 20 years, coincidentally the time that urban people started moving out here. The leadership's main goal is to increase regulations to the point that recently it was suggested by leadership that land owners should have to get advance permission to cut even a single tree down on their own property and the leadership would decide on approval or denial in advance. The reason given by leadership at the meeting that I attended personally was that trees were a community asset ("I like that tree on my neighbor's property and therefore she should not be allowed to cut it down"). Thankfully, this proposal was preposterous to most of the residents and was resoundingly rejected.

I posted quite some time ago about how "Environmentalism" and "Climate Change fka Global Warming" is the perfect means for controlling the behavior of humanity and in nearly every aspect of their lives. It's perfect because the "umbrella" of such a concept is so broad it defies definition and therefore control and regulation is cloaked under that broad umbrella.

Incandescent light bulbs are bad and are banned. Fluorescent bulbs are better because they use less energy. However, when incandescent bulbs would break, it wasn't a health emergency as it is with a fluorescent bulb breaking due to the mercury gasses that emanate. I hate fluorescent bulbs for that reason. Prior to LED lights coming onto the scene people were being forced to use mercury containing fluorescent bulbs. No.

Taxes. Governmental bureaucracy, bloat and waste at the federal, state and even local levels is a huge problem for me, Mona. I will not accept at face value the mantra of: "Higher taxes are good because they go to help those that need help. You do want those less fortunate or who can't help themselves to be able to be taken care of, don't you?" The idea of that tenet is good. However, taking it at face value and without question is unacceptable to me and always will be if there is no continuous accountability. And there is no accountability, Mona. Not at the federal, state or even local level. Case in point: The local public school system. It's a running dark and sad joke because the argument for as long as I can remember is: "We need more money to fix the schools. Just give us $XX,XXX,XXX and everything will be fixed...................Ok, um, now we REALLY know how to fix the schools so give us $XXX,XXX,XXX and will REALLY fix it this time..............Ok, um.. All the while the school administration grows to an astonishing level of excess.

Incidentally, I don't like the labels of "liberal" or "conservative" because as others have stated, things aren't so cut and dried. However, it's a belief among some "liberals" that home schooling should be outlawed. Again, favoring government over individual freedom. I don't agree with that at all. And a push for such a thing makes me think the agenda must be indoctrination. What other reason would there be?

While generations ago, the idea that "conservatives" = capitalism =greed=pollute the earth for profit may have had some truth to it, the lines aren't cut and dried any longer. Are Google, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft and so many others "conservative" companies? No. Do they eschew profit at the expense of the environment, people, fair labor? No.

I also think we have to be extremely cautious as a society when we talk about regulating speech and ideas. Again, under the auspice of "hate speech" being bad, allowing unquestioned rule making in that regard has potential for being a tool of control and oppression with real consequences. I don't know how you feel, Mona, but ever since I was a child, many people from teachers, learning institutions, etc have tried to tell me (with little to no success, thankfully) that my way of thinking was wrong, shameful, etc and that I should instead think like other people do. Never. Never. Never. Ultimately the last and most important freedom any person has is their freedom to think and express ideas. I think that freedom should be held most dear.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 12:02 pm

sly279 wrote:
My other rights are under attack. Freedoms of speech? Not if you’re nit a liberal ,

How are you being deprived of freedom of speech?