Page 2 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

frinj
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2009, 12:44 pm

If you grow up making fun of guys who are effeminate, then you have a son who is effeminate, you are upset in part because you do not want him made fun of. If he is not just effeminate, but gay, you have the double-whammy that all the stuff you imagined about your son being a chip off the old block is not going to happen. How will you relate to some one who does not like what you like? How will your friends, probably rednecks like you, feel? You know htey make fun of queers, meaning they'll be making fun of your son when they find out, though probably not to your face. That'll probably drive some kind of wedge between you and Billy Bob and Cleetus. So not only are you aliented from your own kid, you've got a rift between your lifelong friends. And you probably perceive it as a genetic dead end -- no wife for your son means no grandkids. And if you happen to actually sincerely believe something as absurd as Christianity -- which I'm told many of these sorts do -- then you've got another whammy coming in the afterlife, because your kid is going to hell and won't be in heaven with you. And that's just the issues I can think of off the top of my head at the moment. So there is a rationality underlying homophobia, if you care to try seeing it from the homophobe's perspective.

There are ways around all of these issues. However, it pretty much all starts with an open mind. That is a key thing most homophobes lack. They are not entirely to blame. As we age, we get set in our ways. If you grew up only hearing people approve of gay-bashing and universally condemning it as a gross and ungodly practice, your mind may never have been opened very far. I expect it is hard, if not impossible, to open one's own mind. It probably has to be done by an outside force. So it is hard to blame the person with a closed mind for having a closed mind, or to take credit if you are lucky enough to have an open mind.

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 12:50 pm

I think that heterosexual people tend to find homosexuality repulsive in much the same way that people who hate mushrooms or onions find the consumption of mushrooms or onions repulsive.

It all goes back to the fact that hunger and sexual desire are fundamental human urges.

The more fundamental an urge, the greater the amount of disgust is felt toward the subversion of that urge.

Of course, to the intellectually honest human, homosexuality is about as repulsive as left-handedness:
http://clydeexplains.blogspot.com/2009/ ... njury.html

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 2:56 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

The YUCCH is in the eye of the beholder.

Absolutely. It is the same reaction as findind a pile of steaming sh*t in your dinner plate. Purely subjective. The YUCCH factor should have no legal or institutional standing whatsoever.

ruveyn

Or perhaps, one imagining their parents having sex, or really ugly people doing it. Also a yuck factor, but it's clearer that prohibiting for that reason it would be strange.

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 3:04 pm

little factoid, 98% of homophobes are in denial gays, but how can that be?
Easy, its know as reaction formation AKA Doth protest too much.

1. Person has gay feelings/ urges
2. They deny they have it and attack it when they see it (Hence gay bashing)
3. it happens anyway

take Ted Haggard, evengaical homophobe who, turns out, was having gay butt secks with a male hooker on meth.

its like in elemantary school, the more boy likes girl, the more he is mean, why? Because the elemantary school cultutre says girls are icky and if a boy likes a girl, he is ostracized, so to keep people from knowing he likes said girl, he is doublely mean to her.

the other 2% are batshit religious nuts.

and my view on gays is simple, PARTY TIME!

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 3:46 pm

I think part of it is related to social gender constructions:

"if a man is attracted to men, then
he is sort of like a woman
and a man being 'womanish' is
completely unacceptable"

It's like how people still get cross-dressing (almost exclusively done by straight men) confused with gayness. I think it's thought of as anti-manliness, and that causes all the male social conditioning rules to kick in (to harshly punish any 'female' traits or expressions).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 6:10 pm

Sand wrote:
Orwell wrote:
I don't quite understand why heterosexuals would feel threatened by homosexuals. The more gay men there are, the better the dating odds get for a hetero man since gay men are not going after women.

Assuming, of course, that all the homosexuals are male.

Yes, but from my observations heterosexual males do not usually have much of a problem with lesbians (if anything, there seems to be a bizarre and hopeless fetish surrounding lesbians among hetero men). And I have overheard females commenting that gay men don't bother them as much as lesbians do.

sg33
Raven
Raven

29 Jul 2009, 6:33 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I think part of it is related to social gender constructions

Yes. We live in a patriarchal, misogynistic society. Those who benefit from the power imbalance attack anything that threatens it. Men who fail to uphold the role are immediately outcast and ridiculed.

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 6:44 pm

sg33 wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

Yes. We live in a patriarchal, misogynistic society. Those who benefit from the power imbalance attack anything that threatens it. Men who fail to uphold the role are immediately outcast and ridiculed.

a lot of it comes from the christain influence, the greeks and romes were fine with gays until the christains came to power and then it went downhill from there, being gay was banned, along with bathing and independet thought, so it was little surprise that, when the black plague hit, the church told everyone it was god's punishment, that was until hte clergy became ill and then they claimed it was bad air and other nonsense.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 8:14 pm

cognito wrote:
a lot of it comes from the christain influence, the greeks and romes were fine with gays until the christains came to power and then it went downhill from there, being gay was banned, along with bathing and independet thought, so it was little surprise that, when the black plague hit, the church told everyone it was god's punishment, that was until hte clergy became ill and then they claimed it was bad air and other nonsense.

Your ignorance of history never ceases to amaze me.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 9:13 pm

sg33 wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

Imagine what this statement would look like had you wrote it correctly:

Yes. We live in a matriarchal, misandristic society. Those who benefit from the power imbalance attack anything that threatens it. Men who fail to uphold the role are immediately outcast and ridiculed.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:12 pm

Averick wrote:
sg33 wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

Imagine what this statement would look like had you wrote it correctly:

Yes. We live in a matriarchal, misandristic society. Those who benefit from the power imbalance attack anything that threatens it. Men who fail to uphold the role are immediately outcast and ridiculed.

written

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 6:20 am

[quote="frinj"]If you grow up making fun of guys who are effeminate, then you have a son who is effeminate, you are upset in part because you do not want him made fun of. If he is not just effeminate, but gay, you have the double-whammy ........../quote]

Firstly I have known and know of quite a few gay men who are not effeminate, secondly there is bigotry against lesbians, unless as Orwell has pointed out they fit into the hot lipstic lesbian category and are prepared to go the threesome witha man.

So far no-one has really explained why we still have all this bigotry, surely ruveyns Yuuch factor is not the reason why gay marriage is banned in so many countries.

I know that there are plenty of anti gay people who frequent this site, so come on folks lets hear your rational.

I do not accept that it has to do with thte patriacle nature of our society, I suspect that just as many women have this style of bigotry as men.

Does it have something to do with people needing an underdog to kick around, and gays fit into a nice category that can be easily identified and whos differences are significant enough to seperate them from 'normal people'

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

30 Jul 2009, 2:27 pm

Here's one interesting point: While you do get true homosexual pair-bonds in the animal kingdom, many male mammals hump other males purely to show dominance over them. Interestingly, in ancient Greece a married, otherwise straight man was more or less expected to have sex with boys or male slaves - lesser status males - but if he let himself be on the receiving end, he lost his rights as a citizen. Plus, in many societies straight males have found it perfectly acceptable to rape other males in wartime, or as an act of humiliation: OK to do it, not OK to have it done to you, and unthinkable to consent to it and enjoy it being done to you. I could guess that men who saw sex as an act of domination (and many do, and it's a large part of the hetero male image in most cultures) would feel uneasy about gay men for that reason. Bluntly, somewhere in their monkey brains a male who lets himself be humped is subordinate, therefore contemptible. That's one possible theory. (But it's pop evolutionary psychology, which by its nature can't be proven: behavior doesn't fossilize. And it wouldn't explain why not every male is homophobic.)

But another thing is, gay/lesbian sex is non-reproductive sex. It's distracting people from the important task of breeding more worshipers/workers/cannon fodder. It might, if fully approved, lead people to believe that sex might not be solely reproductive, that it might, you know, have something to do with intimacy and with having fun. And that's very, very threatening to many people. Hence, like many other sexual pleasures that can't get you pregnant, certain authorities have done their best to either make them illegal or to convince people that they're warped or disgusting. The fact that there have always been so many people who went ahead and did them anyway is testament to the fact that the 'yuck' factor is more cultural than natural.

frinj
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2009, 3:54 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
frinj wrote:
If you grow up making fun of guys who are effeminate, then you have a son who is effeminate, you are upset in part because you do not want him made fun of. If he is not just effeminate, but gay, you have the double-whammy ........../quote]

Firstly I have known and know of quite a few gay men who are not effeminate, secondly there is bigotry against lesbians, unless as Orwell has pointed out they fit into the hot lipstic lesbian category and are prepared to go the threesome witha man.

So far no-one has really explained why we still have all this bigotry, surely ruveyns Yuuch factor is not the reason why gay marriage is banned in so many countries.

I know that there are plenty of anti gay people who frequent this site, so come on folks lets hear your rational.

I do not accept that it has to do with thte patriacle nature of our society, I suspect that just as many women have this style of bigotry as men.

Does it have something to do with people needing an underdog to kick around, and gays fit into a nice category that can be easily identified and whos differences are significant enough to seperate them from 'normal people'

The fact that there may actually BE non-effeminate gay males (which I certainly do not dispute) is irrelevant to our discussion, or to my point. The focus of this thread is, I believe, why so many average Americans oppose gay rights or, more generally, oppose homosexuality as something bad. I believe those people do not interact with a lot of gay people, at least not to their knowledge, and form much of their opinions based on a stereotypical view of what it means to be gay. Thus, I think the typical male in this group DOES expect that if their son is gay, he will be a prancing, effeminate hairdresser who cannot catch a football or chew tobacco.

It's like if you asked why kids try to stay up late on Christman Eve, and I said it was because they hope to see Santa Claus, and you said, "but there is no Santa Claus." I'm not disagreeing with you, but pointing out that you are dissecting truth at the wrong level for this discussion.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 4:19 pm

Poke wrote:
...sexual desire are fundamental human urges.
The study of feral humans seems to show otherwise. Although adult cases are few, far between and difficult to study, they lead one to wonder how much of desire is related to society and culture.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 4:36 pm

frinj wrote:

The fact that there may actually BE non-effeminate gay males (which I certainly do not dispute) is irrelevant to our discussion, or to my point. The focus of this thread is, I believe, why so many average Americans oppose gay rights or, more generally, oppose homosexuality as something bad. I believe those people do not interact with a lot of gay people, at least not to their knowledge, and form much of their opinions based on a stereotypical view of what it means to be gay. Thus, I think the typical male in this group DOES expect that if their son is gay, he will be a prancing, effeminate hairdresser who cannot catch a football or chew tobacco.

Fair enough, in my defence I was pretty stuffed when I replied to your post. One slight correction this thread is not aimed specifically at the US, have a look at the backward laws we have here in Australia regarding this issue

Thatredhairedgirl You make some interesting points, and I think you are part way there. I have had a cursory search on homosexuality in the 1700's and whilst there was plenty of homosexual behaviour going on the act of sodomy was generally only performed by a superior upon a subordinate, the subordinates were known as ganymedes, as long as the ganymede was young without a beard there was no social stigma attached to the act, but if he were older it was expected that he would switch roles and find his own ganymede or otherwise suffer the ridicule of his peers.

As to the procreation debate, I suppose this is where the 'its unnatural' claim comes from, and by default if it is unnatural it must therefore be against god.

It is all very strange to me that in better educated and progressive societies we still carry on in this style of ignorance

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx