Sikhism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (smaller religions such as Jainaism or Tenrikyo) 7%  7%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 166

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 4:49 pm

Vyn wrote:
The options for the abrahamic religions weren't organized, but a belief. Otherwise I would've put such like Catholicism or Suuni. So, if you believe in God, I'd assume you to be Judaic, if it didn't include Jesus Christ. It doesn't mean you follow the Jewish institution, but simply follow the God of Abraham.

I don't think you really want to define Judaism that way. I think Judaism that does involve practices might be very appealing to aspies because of the very precise definitions and instructions, which, as contrasted with most other religions, are far more math-oriented than spirit-oriented. Besides, Jews rock during prayers, which too might appeal to aspies. So I really don't think you should lump Judaism together with belief in one God, as it would be very interesting to see how many aspies would actually enjoy participating in these rituals.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 4:54 pm

Myrridias wrote:
I am a slave of Yeshua-Ben-YHWH.

"Denomination" has very little importance to me. Although I would prefer the order of more ritual based orders, such as the Church of Rome.

Wow, nice to meet fellow Hebrew roots person. So do you consider yourself Messianic, or Assembly of Yahweh, or British Israelite, or some other similar branch?

Do you observe sabbath? Do you follow dietary laws? Do you observe the 7 annual feasts?

By church of rome do you mean catholicism? If so I am really surprised, as all the sacret name groups are protestant sects.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 4:58 pm

Roman wrote:
Vyn wrote:
The options for the abrahamic religions weren't organized, but a belief. Otherwise I would've put such like Catholicism or Suuni. So, if you believe in God, I'd assume you to be Judaic, if it didn't include Jesus Christ. It doesn't mean you follow the Jewish institution, but simply follow the God of Abraham.

I don't think you really want to define Judaism that way. I think Judaism that does involve practices might be very appealing to aspies because of the very precise definitions and instructions, which, as contrasted with most other religions, are far more math-oriented than spirit-oriented. Besides, Jews rock during prayers, which too might appeal to aspies. So I really don't think you should lump Judaism together with belief in one God, as it would be very interesting to see how many aspies would actually enjoy participating in these rituals.

I'm not really sure what you mean by belief in one God. Judaism is the belief in the God of Abraham and the Old testament. Unless I've seriously messed up somehow, I'm not sure that's changed. I suppose I could've put the option "Belief in Abrahamic God without denomination" though.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 4:59 pm

Vyn wrote:
I classify the Roman Mythology under Paganism myself. I'm sorry I didn't specify the defintion of Pagan. Basically any of the former major religions of the world that were stamped out by the current major religions. Such as animism, roman/greek/egyptian/norse/incan/mayan/celtic mythology, and any combinations of such.

I believe by "church of Rome" he meant catholicism.

If so, catholicism is Christian, not pagan. I know protestants like to argue it is pagan, but for the purpose of objective results of the poll, we should stick to the secular point of view that it is Christian.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:01 pm

Vyn wrote:
Roman wrote:
Vyn wrote:

I'm not really sure what you mean by belief in one God. Judaism is the belief in the God of Abraham and the Old testament. Unless I've seriously messed up somehow, I'm not sure that's changed. I suppose I could've put the option "Belief in Abrahamic God without denomination" though.

A lot of people who describe themselves as "spiritual and not religous" believe in one God, but not in Jesus. Whenever someone says that they believe in "something" and that something can be called God, they fall into such category. Now, I certainly would not describe that person as "Jewish", which is what you seem to have suggested.

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:02 pm

Atheism and agnosticism aren't really mutually exclusive, either. They shouldn't be listed as separate categories. Atheism is the only one that is really needed. Agnostics are actually atheists and just don't understand the meanings of the terms. If you're answer to the question, "Do you belive (a) God exists?" is ANYTHING other than "yes" (including "I don't/can't know"), you are an atheist.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:05 pm

Roman wrote:
Vyn wrote:
I classify the Roman Mythology under Paganism myself. I'm sorry I didn't specify the defintion of Pagan. Basically any of the former major religions of the world that were stamped out by the current major religions. Such as animism, roman/greek/egyptian/norse/incan/mayan/celtic mythology, and any combinations of such.

If so, catholicism is Christian, not pagan. I know protestants like to argue it is pagan, but for the purpose of objective results of the poll, we should stick to the secular point of view that it is Christian.

Oh if he meant Catholocism most definitely christian then. I just thought he was refering to the polythestic religion pre-Constantine (well pre-his deathbed, because he was a "pagan" til then)

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:07 pm

Atheist here.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:09 pm

Vyn wrote:
Roman wrote:
Vyn wrote:

Oh if he meant Catholocism most definitely christian then. I just thought he was refering to the polythestic religion pre-Constantine (well pre-his deathbed, because he was a "pagan" til then)

The key is the word "church" thats how I knew he meant catholicism. Sometimes when ultra-religious protestants are trying to discuss cahtolicism they might refer to it this way in order to emphasize various points.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:19 pm

Myrridias wrote:

"Denomination" has very little importance to me. Although I would prefer the order of more ritual based orders, such as the Church of Rome.

Roman wrote:

Wow, nice to meet fellow Hebrew roots person. So do you consider yourself Messianic, or Assembly of Yahweh, or British Israelite, or some other similar branch?

Do you observe sabbath? Do you follow dietary laws? Do you observe the 7 annual feasts?

By church of rome do you mean catholicism? If so I am really surprised, as all the sacret name groups are protestant sects.

I chose Judaism because I keep the Torah. However, I also believe in Y'shua ben YHWH. I belong to the Congregation of YHWH in Panama City, Florida, and yes, we keep the Holy Days, The Sabbath(s), the dietary laws, etc.

Last edited by cyberscan on 27 Oct 2009, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:23 pm

cyberscan wrote:
Myrridias wrote:

I chose Judaism because I keep the Torah. However, I also believe in Y'shua ben YHWH.

Same here: Torah + Y'shua. Except that I chose Christianity. They should really have separate category for this, don't you think?

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:26 pm

Roman wrote:
cyberscan wrote:
Myrridias wrote:

I chose Judaism because I keep the Torah. However, I also believe in Y'shua ben YHWH.

Same here: Torah + Y'shua. Except that I chose Christianity. They should really have separate category for this, don't you think?

I think so. I have suspected a quite a few of those in the Congregation of YHWH (including the differently named congregations), are somewhere on the spectrum.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:27 pm

drowbot0181 wrote:
Atheism and agnosticism aren't really mutually exclusive, either. They shouldn't be listed as separate categories. Atheism is the only one that is really needed. Agnostics are actually atheists and just don't understand the meanings of the terms. If you're answer to the question, "Do you belive (a) God exists?" is ANYTHING other than "yes" (including "I don't/can't know"), you are an atheist.

I disagree.

Main Entry: athe·ist
Pronunciation: \ˈā-thē-ist\
Function: noun
Date: 1551
: one who believes that there is no deity

Main Entry: ag·nos·tic
Pronunciation: \ag-ˈnäs-tik, əg-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek agnōstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnōstos known, from gignōskein to know — more at know
Date: 1869
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>

There's a world of difference between saying you don't know if something exists and saying that something definitely doesn't exist. The whole point of the latter is that they believe neither in the absolute existance or non-existance, whereas the former believes in the non-existance.

Three years!

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:36 pm

Um, not to be a pain, but can I asked why you alternated between names of religions, and then adjectives for describing someone of that religion. Also, very few people are purely "Shinto." When Buddhism spread, since it doesn't actually rule other things out, it melded with local religions, so almost anybody who would adhere to Shinto at all would call themselves "Shinto-Buddhist," and would therefor fall into the "Buddhism" category.

I selected "Christian" although I am technically Jewish, but more by ethnicity than religion. My maternal grandfather was very atheist.. they actually asked the rabbi at his funeral not to mention God at all. He tried his best.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:41 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
I selected "Christian" although I am technically Jewish, but more by ethnicity than religion.

So did your family object to your becomming Christian? I know anything to do with Jesus is anathema among Jews, even the atheist ones.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:47 pm

Vyn wrote:
... if you believe in God, I'd assume you to be Judaic ...
It doesn't mean you follow the Jewish institution, but simply follow the God of Abraham.

I distinguish between believing *in* something or someone and simply acting on belief -- even atheists live by faith while *not* believing -- and I also shy away from the idea of "following", especially blindly. So, I just do my best to do as "the God of Abraham" directs, and that amounts to my willing participation within His Torah.

Roman wrote:
I think Judaism that does involve practices might be very appealing to aspies because of the very precise definitions and instructions ...
... it would be very interesting to see how many aspies would actually enjoy participating in these rituals.

Only a guess here, but I suspect any interested Aspie might actually be more inclined toward the Karaite (Scripture-only) version of "Judaism" without all of the later-added "precise definitions and instructions" I think you are talking about.