Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 6:24 pm

LiberalJustice wrote:
What's your view on him? Are you curious about God and why he never shows himself? Why does he seem to be slow on giving us what we want? Post your opinion here!

In my view, I believe that the God of the Bible is real; that He is self-existent, which is to say that He has existence in Himself; that He created and sustains the universe; and that He is the standard by which we measure everything else.

I think that God does show Himself to people but in various ways with different people. I believe that if God were to show up on planet earth, as He did 2000 years ago in the form of Jesus, people would still fail to recognize Him, just as they did then.

As to answering prayers, I think God does answer them with either a "yes," "no," or "wait"; and even Jesus, when He was praying to God, said, "Nevertheless not as I will, but as You will." And although I believe God doesn't answer prayers in such a way that they are either scientifically observable or analytically demonstrative, I believe that the results of some prayers are.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 10:34 am

What's your view on him?
He is delicious.

Are you curious about God and why he never shows himself?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7t5eHVlc4[/youtube]

Why does he seem to be slow on giving us what we want?
He gives me all the noodles I want as soon as I want them.

Ramen,
Tim

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 9:26 pm

BruceCM wrote:
Does the 1st poster believe in God or not?
Yes.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 6:27 am

LiberalJustice wrote:
BruceCM wrote:
Does the 1st poster believe in God or not?
Yes.

Why?

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 3:29 am

psychointegrator wrote:
LiberalJustice wrote:
What's your view on him? Are you curious about God and why he never shows himself? Why does he seem to be slow on giving us what we want? Post your opinion here!

Define god please.

Definition? well, this is a good place to start --> http://www.google.com

ChrisHitchens
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Nov 2009, 12:18 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
God = Big Brother

QFT! 8)

The god of the old testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction, jealous and proud of it; a petty, unforgiving, unjust control-freak; a vindictive bloodthirst ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, genocidal, meglomaniacal,

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 3:40 pm

Well, if you believe, as some do, that the Torah/Bible tells us actual history, it's easy to see why God doesn't show Himself - look at how people acted when He did! My favorite example is from the tale of the Exodus from Egypt. God has shown His power by committing the Seven Plagues upon Egypt, parting the Red Sea, providing miraculous food, and giving them a visible daily sign of His presence (the pillar of smoke by day and fire by night that they were supposed to follow).

The Hebrews then arrive at Mt. Sinai (not the hospital), where Moses, their leader, goes up to conference with God. God is sitting on the mountaintop, in the form of a storm cloud that never moves. Moses is gone for less than a month - and within two weeks, His Chosen People have melted down all the gold they smuggled out of Egypt, made a statue, and are worshiping that!! I mean, you'd think that at some point someone would have pointed at the cloud and said, "What about Him?", but apparently the direct presence of God turns people into selfish, short-sighted idiots.

I think there's enough of that going around now, thanks. He can stay in His heaven for all of me, if it'll keep that from spreading...

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 7:55 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Well, if you believe, as some do, that the Torah/Bible tells us actual history, it's easy to see why God doesn't show Himself - look at how people acted when He did!

What causes you to believe the Hebrews did what they did because He showed Himself?

DeaconBlues wrote:
... all the gold they smuggled out of Egypt ...

Where did you get the idea they had smuggled that gold?

DeaconBlues wrote:
... apparently the direct presence of God turns people into ... idiots.

Surely you do not actually believe that, and neither do you need to use God in order to call people idiots, do you?