Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 8:15 pm

this coming from a site with "bible" as its main address, i doubt it's very Islam-friendly.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2009, 9:02 pm

Josher wrote:
http://www.bible.ca/islam/ the truth about Islam

The truth about Christianity
http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/c ... _index.htm :roll:

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2009, 9:06 pm

Actually I could care less what a person's religion is... but as soon as it turns into a "us vs. them" thing, it goes downhill.

One of these days all these religious fruitcakes and political extremist will realize there is no 'them'... it's only us, we are all in this together.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 1:50 am

Oregon wrote:
Actually I could care less what a person's religion is... but as soon as it turns into a "us vs. them" thing, it goes downhill.

One of these days all these religious fruitcakes and political extremist will realize there is no 'them'... it's only us, we are all in this together.

Until then, it's us sensible people against them religious fruitcakes and political extremists.

Josher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2009, 6:48 am

Orwell wrote:
Oregon wrote:

Until then, it's us sensible people against them religious fruitcakes and political extremists.

Yeah, well I'm not a Christian anymore, I found my own religion that makes more sense than these churches and many other things.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 7:24 am

A person who follow a religion has synthetic AS. Obsessing about one thing, having one view, not seeing it in another light. (just a theory and a thought)

I wouldn't want to go in a relationship with someone who loves someone else more than me that THEY have never met, nor seen, nor dated.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2009, 8:11 am

Orwell wrote:
Oregon wrote:

There are a lot less extremist in the world then people make out to be. Overall most religious people are very loving and giving. They make up for the majority of charity efforts in the world. So I welcome those organization who actually do some good.. even if their religion used to demand blood sacrifices in it's dark past.

Most people are moderate politically, who just want to life their lives without their government making it harder.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 12:50 pm

Religion is created by and large by human beings and, thus, has flaws. But God can work through religion, regardless of the flaws, to help people lead better lives. Its a matter of really listening, and finding God's will. But religion can also be used for evil, and we've all seen that. No one religion can claim the perfect high ground, but there also really are no mainstream major religions that have been completely taken over by evil. There are faithful Muslims who know which parts of the Q'uran to view as "history," or "the past," while using other parts to create something beautiful. The intention of Islam was peace - it is what I've been told the word means. That other aspects get fed and thrive doesn't mean the faith itself is evil, as much as that the breeding grounds may contain evil.

Catholicism, which is my religion, can claim an awful lot of corruption in its past and errors of judgment today. But that it was/is the fault of individuals, often individuals in positions of trust and power, and not the fault of God. The church today advocates social justice and many other admirable goals; that some clergy go too far on certain positions is the fault of those individuals, and not the faith as a whole. I don't want my life painted by the actions of others I have no control over, and I don't want all of Catholicism to be. It’s a huge umbrella, just as Islam is.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 6:31 pm

yes DW that is how I feel,

"fundie" Christians I know are always complaining that Islam is let off from being critisised by left-wing people, they say they have a double standard and that the same bad points they mock in Christianity they ignore in Islam. In their opinion this is either because they are scared of the violence of Muslims or because Satan resides in the hearts of all non-christians making them attack Christianity while "promoting evil faiths". I think it is more about the fact that the left-wing people think right wing christians are more safe and comfortable in the world on the whole...of course Christians in eastern europe and asia are oppressed, but american/european ones are an easy target as opposed to the Islamic world which is being exploited more for its land and oil. But it does make me think there should not be a double standard of respect, we shouldn't spend lots of time mocking the creationism, bigotry and sexism of Christian fundies and then ignore the fact that lots of Muslims have similar beliefs. It makes me wonder that the act that so many Muslims share the same beliefs liberal people mock western christians for means we have made a mistake mocking them so much, there should be more respect on both sides, as a double standard does not help anyone. I felt it was a lot more simple in the 90s as me and my friends were just against fundamentalism and religion and associated it with authority. But this decade we feel solidarity for oppresed people who have many of those same beliefs we mocked. I hope i have made sense.

Last edited by Tom on 03 Dec 2009, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EC
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2009, 6:33 pm

Good Muslim, bad Muslim...

There is only Muslims and Kuffar. Then there are those who claim to be Muslims -- who pick and choose --, they, the hypocrites(munafiq), will go to the lowest depths of hell. End of story, unless you're a revisionist.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 7:18 pm

When i see "liberal" people on forums defending Islam/Muslims, some of them say arguements along the lines of "only a minority have bigoted/violent beliefs, most of them are moderate and peaceful" and some of them say "well yes they are angry and some do feel solidarity with terrorists but who can blame them with the way the US exploits them, and that is a bigger issue than if they have bigoted/sexist beliefs". I wish I knew things like...how many Muslims in the UK are the "angry fundies" and how many are the nice liberal-approved "moderates", and how do you define the difference between the two.

I read this book , and it really disturbed me as it was saying lots of the same critisisms the right-wing anti-Islam racists say, only from a female liberal muslim who moved to the USA.
Critics of the book said she disproportiantly focused on Islam, which i didnt think was valid as she comes from that world, the same way Dawkins focuses on bashing the dominant religion in his world. She said she was exposing the "fundamentalists".

EC
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2009, 7:31 pm

Tom wrote:
I wish I knew things like...how many Muslims in the UK are the "angry fundies" and how many are the nice liberal-approved "moderates", and how do you define the difference between the two.

40% of British Muslims are extremists who support Shari'a courts. Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... in-UK.html

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 7:52 pm

Tom wrote:
When i see "liberal" people on forums defending Islam/Muslims, some of them say arguements along the lines of "only a minority have bigoted/violent beliefs, most of them are moderate and peaceful" and some of them say "well yes they are angry and some do feel solidarity with terrorists but who can blame them with the way the US exploits them, and that is a bigger issue than if they have bigoted/sexist beliefs". I wish I knew things like...how many Muslims in the UK are the "angry fundies" and how many are the nice liberal-approved "moderates", and how do you define the difference between the two.

I read this book , and it really disturbed me as it was saying lots of the same critisisms the right-wing anti-Islam racists say, only from a female liberal muslim who moved to the USA.
Critics of the book said she disproportiantly focused on Islam, which i didnt think was valid as she comes from that world, the same way Dawkins focuses on bashing the dominant religion in his world. She said she was exposing the "fundamentalists".

Tom, it would have been interesting to see if you had suddenly become interested in the morality of Jewish faith if you had lived in 1930s germany :roll:

as Ive said many times to you, I think intollerance of people creates extreme feelings such as in the Tudor britain period when it alternated between persecution of prostestants and catholics, burning people at the stake did not weaken their faith, it strengthened it. Where as in times of more moderation and tollerance to faiths people seem to have held more moderate beliefs.

I think it is a waste of time to combat things that are not ok about various religions by all this vitrol against them. I hardly think people are going to change others religious beliefs by modeling intollerance and promoting 'racial hatred' or stigmatising people from a whole huge religion. I cant think of any groups who changed their beliefs by being used as scape goats and targeted for condemnation.

Josher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2009, 8:08 pm

Keith wrote:
A person who follow a religion has synthetic AS. Obsessing about one thing, having one view, not seeing it in another light. (just a theory and a thought)

I wouldn't want to go in a relationship with someone who loves someone else more than me that THEY have never met, nor seen, nor dated.

Well, I have started to think more rational since I converted from Christianity. Like I said, I don't hate Muslims, just Islam itself. Don't I have the right to criticize a religion if I believe its doctrines are wrong?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 8:32 pm

Attack the idea, not the person. When discussing religion, focusing on specific doctrine vs. lumping it all together would probably be one's best bet.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 4:39 am

lotusblossom wrote:
Tom, it would have been interesting to see if you had suddenly become interested in the morality of Jewish faith if you had lived in 1930s germany :roll:

Well I have for years been interested in fundamentalism and religion/atheism and whether we can seprate real faith and spirituality from the more difficult scriptures, I grew up in a strict overbearing Evangelical environment as you know. Also I live in the Midlands which has a huge asian population , the news here prints lots of horror stories about "honor killings" etc, so I need to get more balanced info from research.

lotusblossom wrote:
as Ive said many times to you, I think intollerance of people creates extreme feelings such as in the Tudor britain period when it alternated between persecution of prostestants and catholics, burning people at the stake did not weaken their faith, it strengthened it. Where as in times of more moderation and tollerance to faiths people seem to have held more moderate beliefs.

I agree with that, and that is why I wonder which of the two arguemnts is best for people to use, I wonder if the view to just support "moderate" Muslims is patronising and unhelpful, and how that is even defined, rather than saying that intolerance and exploitation is causing more extremism.

lotusblossom wrote:
I think it is a waste of time to combat things that are not ok about various religions by all this vitrol against them. I hardly think people are going to change others religious beliefs by modeling intollerance and promoting 'racial hatred' or stigmatising people from a whole huge religion. I cant think of any groups who changed their beliefs by being used as scape goats and targeted for condemnation.

Yes I agree, i think i mainly just want more info and to know the best and most accurate rebuttals to use against angry far-right people.