Page 2 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

parts
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 6:45 am

Scaramouche wrote:
Religion doesn't bother me really. Some of them (both theist and atheist religions) have some good ideas.

It's organised religion that I dislike. They tend to be nothing more than political organisations, and yes, they love a good war now and then.

I agree. They do have some good ideas but to me it all comes down to the indivual too many people do or act a certian way only to please their relgion and not becuse what they are doing is right or wrong. I like the idea of doing the right thing becuse it's the right thing to do not becuse someone told me to which is the way organised religon usally turns out

sc
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 8:08 am

I went to a christain school for several years and also becuase of it had to attend churches. There was nothing directly political.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 8:50 am

Thanks for posting that Grievous. Even though it's getting some people a little wound up, it could be really useful for Christians when they're faced with those arguements themselves.

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

02 May 2006, 12:26 pm

neongrl wrote:
Thanks for posting that Grievous. Even though it's getting some people a little wound up, it could be really useful for Christians when they're faced with those arguements themselves.

You are welcome! :D

Yakko: We'd love to stay here and count our brain cells as they die one-by-one.
Dot: But we can't.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 12:34 pm

sc wrote:
Some comments against religion are simply wrong, making insults when subjectively it is incorrect.

Even though I'm an atheist, and ex-Christian, I'll support that sentiment.

Dogmatic statements and arguments from poor evidence and logic are hardly confined to one side. Perhaps the most famous is Bertrand Russell's "Why I am not a Christian"
He sets up a false picture of Christianity which, not surprisingly, he then manages to thoroughly demolish.
The illusion is that Christianity has thus been debunked.
No, only the deliberately created "straw man".

Discussion in this area is still possible, however, because bad arguments do not preclude the possibility of good ones. Any more than counterfeit money eliminates the possibility of real currency. In both cases you just have to examine carefully what's being passed to you.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 2:26 pm

Quote:
"10 Reasons not to be a Christian"

I am not a Christian but I am not particularly sure about those answers. They seem to come from someone who simply does not like Christianity opposed to some who made a logical decision that Christianity is not the truth of the universe.

Most Christian would be happy answer most of those question, simply because they easy to answer and most non-logical atheists (like typical NT British) would ask these types of question.

Quote:
""I may have broken the Ten Commandments, but I do good things for people. If God is fair, the scales will balance."

As I Christian I would answer: Believe in Jesus as your savoir and live the best way you can by following his laws then you will have nothing to worry about because you will be saved.

Quote:
""Christianity is oppressive to women."

Christianity is mealy saying that the man is the head of the household. God said to love and respect your wife.

To my experience there is nothing wrong with good old-fashioned family values. Family values are breaking down in western society, England even more then American because they have mostly given up on the teaching of Christ our savoir. I know England has lost its way because there are too many drunken woman staggering on the street, drinking and committing fornication. Are these the Christian solder needed to fight the battle against the devil?

Quote:
"There is too much suffering in the world for they’re to be a loving God."

This is so common a question answered by non-logical atheists that is your local Pastor would be more then happy to answer this for you or you could do a goggle search

This is taking too much time let me give you a link http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/answers.html
This should answer most of you questions, it’s a pity it cannot answer my stronger augment against Christianity being the truth of the universe.[/quote]

Last edited by Aspie_Chav on 02 May 2006, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scaramouche
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2006, 2:30 pm

You folks realise that the article was written by a Christian priest, yes? Those objections weren't made by any non-Christian with a grudge against that religion. It was all entirely written by a Christian. He threw up a bunch of lame objections specifically designed to portray those he disagrees with as silly.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 3:00 pm

Scaramouche wrote:
You folks realise that the article was written by a Christian priest, yes? Those objections weren't made by any non-Christian with a grudge against that religion. It was all entirely written by a Christian. He threw up a bunch of lame objections specifically designed to portray those he disagrees with as silly.

I should have known simply because of the illogical of the questions given. If he tried to answer some of my questions it wouldn’t that easy or fun. I would not use atheist selective morality or dogma but science.

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

02 May 2006, 6:06 pm

Scaramouche wrote:

Actually, he is not a priest. He is a respected Christian author and commentator.

Yakko: We'd love to stay here and count our brain cells as they die one-by-one.
Dot: But we can't.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 7:43 pm

neongrl wrote:

by discouraging reason and producing counter-intuitive arguments?

religion is based off of the dismissal of logic.

Seigneur
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2006, 8:34 pm

Emettman wrote:
sc wrote:
Some comments against religion are simply wrong, making insults when subjectively it is incorrect.

Even though I'm an atheist, and ex-Christian, I'll support that sentiment.

Dogmatic statements and arguments from poor evidence and logic are hardly confined to one side. Perhaps the most famous is Bertrand Russell's "Why I am not a Christian"
He sets up a false picture of Christianity which, not surprisingly, he then manages to thoroughly demolish.
The illusion is that Christianity has thus been debunked.
No, only the deliberately created "straw man".

Discussion in this area is still possible, however, because bad arguments do not preclude the possibility of good ones. Any more than counterfeit money eliminates the possibility of real currency. In both cases you just have to examine carefully what's being passed to you.

I bought that book and never read it. Have I wasted my money?

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 8:44 pm

[quote="Aspie_Chav

Quote:

This is so common a question answered by non-logical atheists that is your local Pastor would be more then happy to answer this for you or you could do a goggle search[/quote]

Actually this is a question christians CAN'T answer. It's called the problem of evil.

These 3 things CAN NOT CO-EXIST.

1)God is omnipotent

2)God is omnibenevolent

3)Evil exists

One of these 3 statements is false. Which one is it??

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 8:59 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:
Quote:

This is so common a question answered by non-logical atheists that is your local Pastor would be more then happy to answer this for you or you could do a goggle search

Actually this is a question christians CAN'T answer. It's called the problem of evil.

These 3 things CAN NOT CO-EXIST.

1)God is omnipotent

2)God is omnibenevolent

3)Evil exists

One of these 3 statements is false. Which one is it??

evil is a subjective term. all "evil" is logical, though.....for the most part anyways.

Scaramouche
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2006, 12:52 am

Grievous wrote:
Scaramouche wrote:

Actually, he is not a priest. He is a respected Christian author and commentator.

My bad. Either way, it's not like you're discussing anything expressed by people who are in any way opposed to christianity.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 1:34 am

Seigneur wrote:
Emettman wrote:
Bertrand Russell's "Why I am not a Christian"
...sets up a false picture of Christianity which, not surprisingly, he then manages to thoroughly demolish.

I bought that book and never read it. Have I wasted my money?

Not necessarily. If you wanted a knock-down argument against Christianity this is not it.
It's educational, though, for training in spotting tricks of debate. Spotting the counterfeit. And getting into the mind of a modern philosopher. I'm still not sure to what extent he was consciously aware of his position as given in this volume.

The best one-volume book I have ever found in this area is
"The Case for Christianity" by Colin Chapman

Yes, it's a Christian book, but it covers almost all perspectives, presented by the people holding them, not "as seen by Christians".

Also written by a Christian, but I would consider about as unbiased as any author ever gets,
is James Sire's "The Universe Next Door: a guide book to world views"

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2006, 5:41 am

Do any of you know why the bible came around and the purpose of the story tale turned into a factual story by destroying the minds true factual thought and realising others in a cult-like existence which will lead no were but human struggle and creating a BS existence of people running after this imaginary figure we call 'God.'

The fairy tale of the bible came around due to the fact that that people where having unnecessary wars (this never changed due to religious warfare) and people were having sex with whom ever they fancied. Basically a melt down of society only back then they didn't have protection or comfort within there boundaries. Then our 'saviour' we call 'Jesus' came about and brainwashed the next generation as the generation before him in fact tortured him on the cross (as this was used on over 1000 people as a guess because I don’t know the correct number of people) and flogged his back like he should have been given as it was within the law back then. THIS WAS NO MIRICAL KIDS IT HAPPENED BECAUSE JESUS WAS A BAD MAN.

Now here comes the silly Christian telling me that it came to some man in his sleep that’s what we call it when a writer wakes up and experiences an extravagant story idea and wakes up and writes about what he saw in his dream. Basically the government made it up before the erupt society got worse.

Now get back to your stories about brave god and stop telling me what I should be doing with my life.