Page 2 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 2:47 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
HisDivineMajesty, do you have any links or sources regarding the idea that suicide prevention programs are aimed at young women? it is not the case in my city so i wonder what location has programs like that.

It's the Netherlands. Great place, but they always seem to find the wrong solution to the least important problem and let the rest get out of hand.
Here's one by volunteers in Dutch. I assume them to have indirect government subsidies through aligned organisations.

http://www.jestaatnietalleen.nl/ - This is a sub-genre for young, foreign women.

Generally, police websites have extensive information on what to do when a woman is abused, but I have yet to find anything specifically aimed at men.
Apparently, we are very capable of helping ourselves get out of trouble. I know some men who can't, though, and they don't get half as much attention as women who are even slightly depressed.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 2:58 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
HisDivineMajesty, do you have any links or sources regarding the idea that suicide prevention programs are aimed at young women? it is not the case in my city so i wonder what location has programs like that.

It's the Netherlands. Great place, but they always seem to find the wrong solution to the least important problem and let the rest get out of hand.
Here's one by volunteers in Dutch. I assume them to have indirect government subsidies through aligned organisations.

http://www.jestaatnietalleen.nl/ - This is a sub-genre for young, foreign women.

Generally, police websites have extensive information on what to do when a woman is abused, but I have yet to find anything specifically aimed at men.
Apparently, we are very capable of helping ourselves get out of trouble. I know some men who can't, though, and they don't get half as much attention as women who are even slightly depressed.

there are also programs in the Netherlands geared towards all youth, so i don't think the boys are excluded from those are they?

i think the link you provided was specifically for immigrants.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm

There certainly are issues that only men face, and there's nothing wrong in theory with male solidarity to deal with these problems. However, in practice, "Men's Rights" acts as a dog-whistle for misogynists. It's like how anti-immigration parties attract racists. And the MRA groups often don't seem to do enough to distance themselves from their scummy constituency, which makes me think that at least some of the leaders of these groups are misogynists.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

Not a lot to say on this one aside from that anything spearheaded by the angry and bitter typically ends up a hot mess. It happened in certain ways with feminism and it seems like it would hit even earlier and harder with masculism in retaliation if people aren't careful.

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

07 Mar 2012, 3:39 pm

There is a gender inequality in gender specific health care, men's health gets poor coverage compared to women's health.
Close to my home is Europe's largest women's hospital, am I ever going to see a men's hospital in my life time?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 3:48 pm

Chipshorter wrote:
There is a gender inequality in gender specific health care, men's health gets poor coverage compared to women's health.
Close to my home is Europe's largest women's hospital, am I ever going to see a men's hospital in my life time?

That's disgusting and something needs to be done about it and I'll support men's health awareness and funding 100%

But the lack of healthcare for men is not women's fault.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 4:07 pm

I think one place I really do feel the disparity is shopping. I can go to the mall with $300 and needing a new summer or fall wardrobe, easily walk out with every dime of it less maybe the purchase of one shirt and some shrimp terayaki from Sarku Japan, simply because everything I saw in the token guy's corner of the department store sucked. I'm sure that'll change as guys actually start buying more clothing but right now its quite tough to look good when you've got three things to choose from: horizonal stripes, flannel/plaid/dress shirt hybrids, and shirts that look like they're ten-years worn with road-tarred logos from top to bottom. Then again I can't be sure that women don't go to the mall and come out annoyed and empty-handed at the same rate, if they are it sounds like NYC just needs the current guard of designers bounced out on their heads. :(

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

07 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Chipshorter wrote:

That's disgusting and something needs to be done about it and I'll support men's health awareness and funding 100%

But the lack of healthcare for men is not women's fault.

Its more the case of funding & how it is inequality distributed: e.g. breast-cancer research (Yes I know men can get that too) gets more money than research on both prostate and testicular cancers.

To be honest about the lack of men's healthcare, one of factors at fault, IMHO is us men having a poor attitude about own gender's health.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

I hate those "hopeless dads/boyfriends" type adverts, it's a giant double standard. And also dads should get more credit and not have to be so restricted when seeing their kids if they divorce their wife. And on Jeremy Kyle there is an obvious leaning towards the women even if they treat their partner's like s**t, and whenever there's physical fighting from both sides the woman is treated as a delicate snowflake even though they both beat eachother up and should get the same treatment. That show is terrible anyway and Jeremy Kyle needs a smack. Also in films there are jokes about women being super rapey and forcefully trying to seduce a man, it's supposed to funny somehow not creepy like it actually is.

I can understand masculism in certain situations though some can be a biiiiiit on the extreme side.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 4:09 pm

Chipshorter wrote:

Its more the case of funding & how it is inequality distributed: e.g. breast-cancer research (Yes I know men can get that too) gets more money than research on both prostate and testicular cancers.

To be honest about the lack of men's healthcare, one of factors at fault, IMHO is us men having a poor attitude about own gender's health.

Then again I get the impression that's partly our fault. We're sort of cultured in a way to not complain, not to worry about ourselves too much, and in that process we just let life happen to the extent that you won't see many charity runs for prostate cancer research.

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2012, 4:29 pm

Yes its the "soldiering on" & "mustn't grumble" attitude that stops us men from going to see a doctor. Well here this said of the Pond we had a prostate cancer ad by a comedian who pass away from it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOPLHXINKx8&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 8:14 pm

How about instead of separating it in to men's and women's rights we just call it human rights...

You will reap what you've sown.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 8:18 pm

abacacus wrote:
How about instead of separating it in to men's and women's rights we just call it human rights...

Because regardless of what some people may think here the genders are different in certain ways and have their own niche issues to contend with. When we correct ourselves genetically into a self-breeding species we can throw it all out the window.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 8:20 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
abacacus wrote:

Because regardless of what some people may think here the genders are different in certain ways and have their own niche issues to contend with. When we correct ourselves genetically into a self-breeding species we can throw it all out the window.

Really? So because men and women are different sexes they should not have equal rights?

After all, if their rights should be equal there is no reason to legally separate men and women.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 8:35 pm

abacacus wrote:
Really? So because men and women are different sexes they should not have equal rights?

After all, if their rights should be equal there is no reason to legally separate men and women.

If everything were truly flatly equal both genders would be in worse shape. Equal has people generally intend it has to do with the law, pay, protections, etc., however there are specific niche needs or niche issues that each gender has. As far as medical coverage for example - women are far more likely to need the results of breast cancer or osteoperosis research, men are exclusive (as women nearly are on breast cancer) to the need for prostate cancer research and treatment, women also need neonatal which men don't, men have been traditionally pitted in more rugged occupations, the gap is closing but even there; physical combat or front line law enforcement will generally be more male geared and male preferred, engineering fields will tend to be male dominated because of what we have more in terms of hyperfocus, much like women are absolute champs at jobs that require multitasking as well as many care and managerial type positions where we'd be run ragged to keep up.

I'm not arguing against general equality, just 'exact' pesudo-religious thinking equality. That would never work because it would be an attempt at forcing a fiction, ie. niche needs for both genders will always exist; they won't be major things, they won't be rights for one gender at the expense of the other, they'll simply be different areas of focus rather than calling all of ourselves appleoranges, forcing the same template on both genders, and ignoring the impracticalities of that to serve idealism.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 8:41 pm

Women deal with breast cancer, men deal with testicular cancer.

None of these things deal with equal rights, they deal with genders being different which I am not trying to deny. Men are better at some things, women are better at others (on average anyway). It's life. This doesn't impact legal rights at all.

As far as neonatal goes, I don't really see how that comes in to play? I don't think any advocate of equal rights is trying to force women to work through the entire nine months of their pregnancy and go back to work the day after she gives birth :lol: