Page 2 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 12:47 am

Misslizard wrote:
World Wide Church of God(Herbert Armstrong) didn't,maybe they have changed their beliefs now.I took their bible study course years ago.They quoted Jeremiah 10:2-4,which pretty much says,Learn not the way of the heathen,they take up a tree and decorate it.(I am to tired to type it all but if anyone wants to look it up,those are the verses.)
I went to their church a few times,the only sermon I remember was in El Dorado Ar and it was titled;

The Devil and Doritos
To sum it up the devil does not want you to be healthy so he is the real creator of junk food.
They followed the OT holidays and dietary laws.I actually enjoyed that church.
That must make the devil really awesome then!! !

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

slave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 1:31 am

BAHUMBUG!! !! !! !! !! ! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 1:34 am

Misslizard wrote:
World Wide Church of God(Herbert Armstrong) didn't,maybe they have changed their beliefs now.I took their bible study course years ago.They quoted Jeremiah 10:2-4,which pretty much says,Learn not the way of the heathen,they take up a tree and decorate it.(I am to tired to type it all but if anyone wants to look it up,those are the verses.)
I went to their church a few times,the only sermon I remember was in El Dorado Ar and it was titled;

The Devil and Doritos
To sum it up the devil does not want you to be healthy so he is the real creator of junk food.
They followed the OT holidays and dietary laws.I actually enjoyed that church.

I had a friend who had been raised in Armstrong's World Wide Church of God, and he told me they've since split on the matter of the trinity and dietary rules.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 1:51 am

kxmode wrote:
Even people who aren't Jehovah's Witnesses know Christmas is a pagan holiday.

Who gives a f*ck if it's pagan or not?

Is the birth of Jesus pagan? No, so quit with the tasteless polemics.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Dec 2012, 2:29 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Regardless of the pagan holidays that had been observed on Christmas, we don't celebrate them. We are celebrating the birth of Christ, regardless of what date he may have really been born on. Regardless of the Yule celebrations of my Pre-Christian ancestors in the cold northern forests of Europe, the bearded old man I tell my daughter will be flying overhead on Christmas Eve isn't the god Wodan. So in other words - who cares what date Christmas is celebrated on?

Your reaction reminds me of the Israelites who responded to Jeremiah's commission to warn his people about their actions at Jeremiah 44:15, 16. "And all the men who were knowing that their wives had been making sacrificial smoke to other gods, and all the wives who were standing as a great congregation, and all the people who were dwelling in the land of Egypt, in Pathros, proceeded to answer Jeremiah, saying: “As regards the word that you have spoken to us in the name of Jehovah, we are not listening to you;""

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 2:34 am

You're not any better.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Dec 2012, 2:35 am

Tensu wrote:
The modern holiday Christmas is very different from the pagan holidays it was invented to counter, though a few pagan traditions stubbornly persist themselves, such as decorating trees. Caroling began in the pagan winter holidays but it was been re-worked by christians and is now far removed from a drunken mob roving around town vandalizing people's houses and threatening to injure them if they didn't give them food.

As a Christian you might appreciate Paul's inspired words at 1 Corinthians 10:20, 21. "No; but I say that the things which the nations sacrifice they sacrifice to demons, and not to God; and I do not want YOU to become sharers with the demons. YOU cannot be drinking the cup of Jehovah and the cup of demons; YOU cannot be partaking of “the table of Jehovah” and the table of demons." This is pretty clear reasoning.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 2:36 am

kxmode wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Regardless of the pagan holidays that had been observed on Christmas, we don't celebrate them. We are celebrating the birth of Christ, regardless of what date he may have really been born on. Regardless of the Yule celebrations of my Pre-Christian ancestors in the cold northern forests of Europe, the bearded old man I tell my daughter will be flying overhead on Christmas Eve isn't the god Wodan. So in other words - who cares what date Christmas is celebrated on?

Your reaction reminds me of the Israelites who responded to Jeremiah's commission to warn his people about their actions at Jeremiah 44:15, 16. "And all the men who were knowing that their wives had been making sacrificial smoke to other gods, and all the wives who were standing as a great congregation, and all the people who were dwelling in the land of Egypt, in Pathros, proceeded to answer Jeremiah, saying: “As regards the word that you have spoken to us in the name of Jehovah, we are not listening to you;""

No, I'm still worshiping Christ. I am not worshiping Wodan or any other pagan deity.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Dec 2012, 2:44 am

Fnord wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses have no authority to dictate what the rest of us will and will not do for fun.

Nobody is dictating anything. I am simply conveying information about the celebration. What you do with it is your business.

Last edited by kxmode on 13 Dec 2012, 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Dec 2012, 2:51 am

MCalavera wrote:
Is the birth of Jesus pagan?

First century Jewish families did not celebrate birthdays. The first century Jewish historian Josephus writes, "Nay, indeed, the law does not permit us to make festivals at the birth of our children, and thereby afford occasion of drinking to excess." (Extracted from Josephus Complete Works, Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids (MI), 14th printing, 1977, p. 632. Translated by W. Whiston. Against Apion, Book II, Chapter 26). Jesus was born a Jew. His apostles were Jewish. They would not have celebrated their birthdays according to Jewish customs. Even the bible doesn't give a specific date for Jesus' birth. All it tells us is where Jesus was born.

So to answer your question. The birth of Jesus isn't pagan, but celebrating it is.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 3:01 am

kxmode wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

First century Jewish families did not celebrate birthdays. The first century Jewish historian Josephus writes, "Nay, indeed, the law does not permit us to make festivals at the birth of our children, and thereby afford occasion of drinking to excess." (Extracted from Josephus Complete Works, Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids (MI), 14th printing, 1977, p. 632. Translated by W. Whiston. Against Apion, Book II, Chapter 26). Jesus was born a Jew. His apostles were Jewish. They would not have celebrated their birthdays according to Jewish customs. Even the bible doesn't give a specific date for Jesus' birth. All it tells us is where Jesus was born.

So to answer your question. The birth of Jesus isn't pagan, but celebrating it is.

More presents for the rest of us heathens.
And why don't you ask Jewish WP members like ruveyn if they celebrate their birthdays. I suspect strongly that they'd say they do.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 3:12 am

Cash__ wrote:
I think we should bring back the celebration of Saturnalia and fatten people up and murder them on Dec 25th. And then run around naked and singing.

Gimmie that OLD TIME religion!

It good enough for me!

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 5:09 am

kxmode wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

The Jews also believed you should get yourself circumcised, and yet the Apostles agreed this was no longer necessary for the Christians.

But seriously, who cares anyway? Even if it's pagan, what's the problem? Live and let live.

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2012, 8:27 am

kxmode wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses have no authority to dictate what the rest of us will and will not do for fun.

Nobody is dictating anything. I am simply conveying information about the celebration. What you do with it is your business.

No, what you're doing - which you try to do on every freaking holiday - is sh*****g on everyone else's fun by subtly accusing us of being bad people. If you don't like it, don't celebrate it - in the meantime, kindly shut up.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 8:51 am

I think it's a defense mechanism of some sort. He sees all these people having fun celebrating Christmas and Easter and birthdays and so on, while he's compelled to sit on the sidelines and just watch them enjoy good times together. His subtle sh*tting on people who celebrate these holidays is a way for him to cope with the jealousy that results.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 9:57 am

Quote:
I think it's a defense mechanism of some sort. He sees all these people having fun celebrating Christmas and Easter and birthdays and so on, while he's compelled to sit on the sidelines and just watch them enjoy good times together. His subtle sh*tting on people who celebrate these holidays is a way for him to cope with the jealousy that results.

Seconded.

His holier-than-thou attitude reminds me of the Pharisees. :wink:
You see, even atheists can make Biblical references that put down other people.