The Conversion of Europe to Christianity: A Tragedy?

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2014, 5:32 pm

The Jewish religion is a disgrace! Why is it ok to criticize Christianity and Islam but not the Jewish religion? As I said, I have nothing against any ethnicity. If someone chooses to follow the Jewish, Christian, or Islamic religions I will not respect them much. They have chosen disgraceful ideologies, and they can be judged on their choices just like everyone else. Again the Jewish religion is worthless garbage! Hope that makes things clear.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Just as a friendly warning, saying you're not Antisemitic is one thing, but continually making attacks on Jews may not go over well with the moderators.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 6:46 pm

hyena wrote:
The Jewish religion is a disgrace! Why is it ok to criticize Christianity and Islam but not the Jewish religion? As I said, I have nothing against any ethnicity. If someone chooses to follow the Jewish, Christian, or Islamic religions I will not respect them much. They have chosen disgraceful ideologies, and they can be judged on their choices just like everyone else. Again the Jewish religion is worthless garbage! Hope that makes things clear.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Just as a friendly warning, saying you're not Antisemitic is one thing, but continually making attacks on Jews may not go over well with the moderators.

I personally think over the top attacks on Christianity and Islam should be taken to task on WP, but with Antisemitism, there is definitely a clearly racist, bigoted agenda behind much of the attacks that have turned from violent words to violent action on a dime.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 7:47 pm

hyena wrote:
What do you think of the conversion of Europe to Christianity?

I think it is tragic! I despise Constantine with all my heart. This filthy treacherous scum should have been crucified. He betrayed Rome to Jewish idiocy (no offense to non religious Jews). No doubt there were stupid parts to Pagan Roman religions, but not quite on the same level as Christianity. There were a bunch different sects, worshipping different deities not bothering each other. As long as someone performed the expected civic duties of Rome they were free to pick whichever god they wanted. The religious fanaticism was really brought to Europe by the Jewish monstrosity, Christianity, which worships a moaning, waling rat who was killed by his own people. Imagine, the mighty Roman Empire prostrating to some deluded human trash who failed with his own people.
But that was not enough, the entire world, even the Barbarians had to be deluded with this filthy plague that has infected the world for nearly two millennia. The first thing these lepers did was to attack everything elevated and civilized. Libraries were burned down, scholars like Hypatia killed, learning made illegal. Imagine trading Socrates and his kind for the leprous messiah of idiocy. Imagine if the learning of the ancients had not been lost for a thousand years. Imagine Romans killing each other about whether the leprous messiah was made of the same matter as his idiot made up father or of different matter. Imagine unanimous glorification of some deluded leprous scum until the 20th century. Some cheating whore who pulled the wool over the eyes of a bunch of deluded ancient Jews made into a saint and reverenced. What lunacy!

Do you ever feel that Christianity was the biggest tragedy to fall upon Europe? Imagine how different our world could be if we were the cultural descendents of Heracles, Socrates, Euclid, and Aurelius rather than a bunch of Jewish lunatics like Moses, Abraham and Jesus. What disgrace has fallen upon Europe!

FYI I have nothing against non-religious people of Jewish ancestry.
I place religious Jews on the same boat as Christians and Muslims.

The conversion to Christianity lead directly to the Crusades and later on the deadly warfare between Protestants and Catholics. To say nothing of the slaughter of the Cathars in France.

And it is not just Christianity. On a global level religion has proved to be a very bad thing for the human race.

ruveyn

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2014, 8:15 pm

If antisemitism is defined as dislike of Judaism and its adherents there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. The antisemitism I have a problem with is the one based on ethnicity. Ethnicity is not chosen and does not tell you anything about a person?s moral character, whereas ideology like religion tells you a lot about a person?s morality. People can absolutely be judged by their morality and should be judged by their morality. If a person has chosen to become a member of Judaism she or he believes that it was righteous for the people of the Bible to commit genocide, infanticide, rape and murder in the name of a psychopathic deity. I despise these scum with all my heart as should any decent individual. I would take no action against them until they had taken some sort of immoral action. I would only punish evil actions not evil beliefs. But I despise individuals with evil beliefs nonetheless. If we do not judge based on ideology then we cannot judge Nazis or the KKK. We might as well call it bigoted and racist to criticize the members of such organizations. I did not tell these individuals to choose evil beliefs, they chose them themselves. And for that I despise them.

To call this racist is an insult to non-religious Jews. Not all Jews are members of Judaism! One is an ethnicity the other is an ideology. To not criticize trash like Judaism, Christianity and Islam is immoral!

I have not discriminated based on race and take offence to that.

Kraichgauer wrote:
I personally think over the top attacks on Christianity and Islam should be taken to task on WP, but with Antisemitism, there is definitely a clearly racist, bigoted agenda behind much of the attacks that have turned from violent words to violent action on a dime.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 8:45 pm

hyena wrote:
If antisemitism is defined as dislike of Judaism and its adherents there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. The antisemitism I have a problem with is the one based on ethnicity. Ethnicity is not chosen and does not tell you anything about a person?s moral character, whereas ideology like religion tells you a lot about a person?s morality. People can absolutely be judged by their morality and should be judged by their morality. If a person has chosen to become a member of Judaism she or he believes that it was righteous for the people of the Bible to commit genocide, infanticide, rape and murder in the name of a psychopathic deity. I despise these scum with all my heart as should any decent individual. I would take no action against them until they had taken some sort of immoral action. I would only punish evil actions not evil beliefs. But I despise individuals with evil beliefs nonetheless. If we do not judge based on ideology then we cannot judge Nazis or the KKK. We might as well call it bigoted and racist to criticize the members of such organizations. I did not tell these individuals to choose evil beliefs, they chose them themselves. And for that I despise them.

To call this racist is an insult to non-religious Jews. Not all Jews are members of Judaism! One is an ethnicity the other is an ideology. To not criticize trash like Judaism, Christianity and Islam is immoral!

Kraichgauer wrote:

How many Jews - or for that matter Christians - endorse genocide, rape, murder, etc. today? Just because it's in the Old Testament doesn't mean modern Christians and Jews support such abhorrent beliefs.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2014, 8:57 pm

They worship a god who ordered those massacres. They made Hollywood movies about god killing the babies of the Egyptians. They endorse these actions when ordered by god! If they don't then they disobey their own god and are confused individuals for claiming to be part of those religions. Furthermore, they endorse eternal torture for not holding the beliefs of their religion. Anyone who thinks that way is contemptible.

Kraichgauer wrote:
How many Jews - or for that matter Christians - endorse genocide, rape, murder, etc. today? Just because it's in the Old Testament doesn't mean modern Christians and Jews support such abhorrent beliefs.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 10:02 pm

hyena wrote:
They worship a god who ordered those massacres. They made Hollywood movies about god killing the babies of the Egyptians. They endorse these actions when ordered by god! If they don't then they disobey their own god and are confused individuals for claiming to be part of those religions. Furthermore, they endorse eternal torture for not holding the beliefs of their religion. Anyone who thinks that way is contemptible.

Kraichgauer wrote:

Yes, anyone endorsing those kinds of beliefs are contemptible, but again, modern day people of the Christian and Jewish faiths in the industrialized west do not endorse such things. And was it God that ordered those massacres? Or was it justification for the ethnocentrism of the day by priests and warlords, by saying it was God's will?

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2014, 10:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
hyena wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Have you ever considered asking a Palestinian or two how about the atrocities committed under the cause of Judaism? The Israeli state has ironically turned into the very thing that facilitated its illegal creation--a genocidal ideological monstrosity. To be completely fair, there are plenty of left-leaning and moderate Israelis that disagree with official government policy, but that's not going to change due to the fact that the right-wing in Israel is heavily supported by the money and power of the USA.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2014, 10:09 pm

Most Christians believe in hell and endorse it. I would say most see nothing wrong with those stories of the Bible. At least they condone those stories. I don't hate the ones who don't, but I would call them confused rather than Jews, Christians and Muslims.

Take the story of Abraham for example. The core of these religions. I say what Abraham was willing to do and what god asked of him (before stopping him) is despicable. If religious people think like me how can I call them Jews, Christians and Muslims? If they reject the core of the beliefs how can they be considered a member of those religions? It's like saying I am a Nazi who despises everything Hitler stood for and am a pacifist and love everyone.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Yes, anyone endorsing those kinds of beliefs are contemptible, but again, modern day people of the Christian and Jewish faiths in the industrialized west do not endorse such things. And was it God that ordered those massacres? Or was it justification for the ethnocentrism of the day by priests and warlords, by saying it was God's will?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 10:21 pm

hyena wrote:
Most Christians believe in hell and endorse it. I would say most see nothing wrong with those stories of the Bible. At least they condone those stories. I don't hate the ones who don't, but I would call them confused rather than Jews, Christians and Muslims.

Take the story of Abraham for example. The core of these religions. I say what Abraham was willing to do and what god asked of him (before stopping him) is despicable. If religious people think like me how can I call them Jews, Christians and Muslims? If they reject the core of the beliefs how can they be considered a member of those religions? It's like saying I am a Nazi who despises everything Hitler stood for and am a pacifist and love everyone.

Kraichgauer wrote:

Mainline Christians look to Christ and the New Testament, which is far removed from the blood soaked God of the Old Testament. No endorsement of such bloody beliefs there. And I daresay, most mainstream Jews hardly look to the violence of their holy book. As for belief in hell - well, I'd like to think there's a place of punishment for monsters like Hitler and Stalin after this life.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 10:23 pm

perpetual_padawan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
hyena wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Have you ever considered asking a Palestinian or two how about the atrocities committed under the cause of Judaism? The Israeli state has ironically turned into the very thing that facilitated its illegal creation--a genocidal ideological monstrosity. To be completely fair, there are plenty of left-leaning and moderate Israelis that disagree with official government policy, but that's not going to change due to the fact that the right-wing in Israel is heavily supported by the money and power of the USA.

The secular government of Israel hardly is the same thing as the religion of Judaism. And while there is no doubt that Palestinians have suffered terribly, there are two sides to this story.

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2014, 10:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
perpetual_padawan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
hyena wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

The secular government of Israel hardly is the same thing as the religion of Judaism. And while there is no doubt that Palestinians have suffered terribly, there are two sides to this story.

You are incredibly ignorant on the topic if you believe that Israel is a secular state. Um, look at its freaking flag for one?Look at its "Basic Laws." Here you go--> Basic Law: Human Dignity and Liberty

Purpose 1. The purpose of this Basic Law is to protect human dignity and liberty, in order to establish in a Basic Law the values of the State of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state.

Your defense of Israel summed up as "there are two sides to this story" is nothing more than a ready made simplistic argument for support of illegal settlements and treatment of people living stateless whilst in occupation. Seriously, the Palestinians are state-less. Do you even know what that means? So yeah, you bet your ass I'd be fighting against Israeli military coming in and shooting people whomever they wanted while they drive their tanks around destroying whatever home they want without recourse. You would too. Educate yourself on the situation! The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan is a great start into better understanding the royal shaft the Palestinian people have gotten in the last 60 plus years. The only reason Israel is able to do what it does is because of US support. The world is disgusted with them. Look up the support for them if you don't believe me. Outside of the US, it barely exists.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2014, 11:32 pm

Jesus had some nasty parts to him too. Eg. he asked people why they don't kill disobedient children in one instance. He clearly endorses the Old Testament. I.e. I came to fulfill the law and not to change it. Don't remember which book that was in but I can find out if you want me to. He clearly endorses Hell and the idea that most people will end up there (most will choose that path). If Jesus is correct, many of us in this forum will go to Hell not only Hitler and his kind. All that is required is lack of faith. But even Hitler and Stalin don't deserve eternal torture. No one does. No one has done infinite wrong to deserve infinite punishment. If someone thinks I deserve eternal torture for not having faith in the Christian god how can I respect them?

Kraichgauer wrote:
Mainline Christians look to Christ and the New Testament, which is far removed from the blood soaked God of the Old Testament. No endorsement of such bloody beliefs there. And I daresay, most mainstream Jews hardly look to the violence of their holy book. As for belief in hell - well, I'd like to think there's a place of punishment for monsters like Hitler and Stalin after this life.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 12:22 am

perpetual_padawan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
perpetual_padawan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
hyena wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

You are incredibly ignorant on the topic if you believe that Israel is a secular state. Um, look at its freaking flag for one?Look at its "Basic Laws." Here you go--> Basic Law: Human Dignity and Liberty

Purpose 1. The purpose of this Basic Law is to protect human dignity and liberty, in order to establish in a Basic Law the values of the State of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state.

Your defense of Israel summed up as "there are two sides to this story" is nothing more than a ready made simplistic argument for support of illegal settlements and treatment of people living stateless whilst in occupation. Seriously, the Palestinians are state-less. Do you even know what that means? So yeah, you bet your ass I'd be fighting against Israeli military coming in and shooting people whomever they wanted while they drive their tanks around destroying whatever home they want without recourse. You would too. Educate yourself on the situation! The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan is a great start into better understanding the royal shaft the Palestinian people have gotten in the last 60 plus years. The only reason Israel is able to do what it does is because of US support. The world is disgusted with them. Look up the support for them if you don't believe me. Outside of the US, it barely exists.

As I said, there are two sides to this story - an Israeli one, and a Palestinian one. I'm not giving Israel a blank check - as you might recall, I said the Palestinians have suffered terribly, and I'll add, the fact that the Israeli government just shrugs off any responsibility for the plight of those people is unconscionable. But I stand by my statement: Judaism and the Israeli government are not one in the same, despite what Zionists and evangelical Christians seem to believe.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 12:28 am

hyena wrote:
Jesus had some nasty parts to him too. Eg. he asked people why they don't kill disobedient children in one instance. He clearly endorses the Old Testament. I.e. I came to fulfill the law and not to change it. Don't remember which book that was in but I can find out if you want me to. He clearly endorses Hell and the idea that most people will end up there (most will choose that path). If Jesus is correct, many of us in this forum will go to Hell not only Hitler and his kind. All that is required is lack of faith. But even Hitler and Stalin don't deserve eternal torture. No one does. No one has done infinite wrong to deserve infinite punishment. If someone thinks I deserve eternal torture for not having faith in the Christian god how can I respect them?

Kraichgauer wrote:

Huh? Jesus asked people why they don't kill disobedient children? I think you've got the wrong holy man. And yes, he said he had come to fulfill the law, not to abolish it; but in either case, the OT law no longer has power over his followers. As for most of us on this forum going to hell - I think that can be answered by his statement directed at the Pharisees of his day, that the prostitutes and publicans would get to heaven before them, and that they would be surprised by who is welcomed into the Kingdom of God, and who isn't.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 1:38 am

It was a very mixed bag.

Seems like when one looks back at the spread of Christianity and Islam, being close contemporaries, and especially with the conditions of Islam's request of new territories (ie. not necessarily Islam but some local monotheism with similar codification) there was a major cultural problem in the pagan world that was coming to a head. One has to consider that people were sick enough of an old system for a new one this radically different to go anywhere.

The blessings of a Judao-Christian Europe and Islamic Mideast - charity, hospitals, and education. Apparently ground-level paganism had a noted lack of charity, focused on individual honor to the point of social Darwinism, and doctors and educators were only for the elite. It was the belief in the equality of man found in the monotheisms that worked to push things in the other direction.

Obviously we're all aware of the problems that come with fundamentalist beliefs in any monotheistic dualism - particularly rabid exclusivism. You have to consider, however, that things were that much worse in pagan areas to where people were ready and willing to convert from 5th to 9th century CE just on the grounds that Christianity seemed to be a step above what they had (the pagan mythos in most places may have had a great deal of monist wisdom and cyclical considerations but most of that was as buried by that time as Christ is under organized orthodoxy today). There were some losers in this game and few more tragic than the loss of the Neoplatonist schools, which were not only way ahead of their time but in many ways perhaps even past Christianity as it was conveyed. Hypatia was one of the better-known examples of Neoplatonist martyrs to the sweeping tide of Christian monotheism. Seems like the Johnian gospels attempted to weave Neoplatonism and at least a sense of emanationism back into Christianity but with mixed results.