Page 2 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 12:54 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspE wrote:
I will believe it when there is reason to do so. Until then your ability to believe something without evidence is commonly just called gullibility.

Well then you are just gonna miss out because we have insects, bacteria, erosion, mad dictators that destroy stuff, kings that destroy stuff, religious folk that destroy stuff, floods and fires.

And there is likely evidence for all those things. Are you saying there isn't?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 12:58 pm

AspE wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspE wrote:
I will believe it when there is reason to do so. Until then your ability to believe something without evidence is commonly just called gullibility.

Well then you are just gonna miss out because we have insects, bacteria, erosion, mad dictators that destroy stuff, kings that destroy stuff, religious folk that destroy stuff, floods and fires.

and there are evidence those things occur, YES but if a dung beetle consumes a cow patty now you are not gonna know about it five thousand years later, are you? What are the odds?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 1:02 pm

I just don't understand why it is so difficult for human beings to accept they do not know everything and there is a great possibility many things have and will exist that they will absolutely NEVER know about. Why is that so hard to accept? Your ego is way over inflated if you cannot deal with that.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 1:10 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspE wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspE wrote:

and there are evidence those things occur, YES but if a dung beetle consumes a cow patty now you are not gonna know about it five thousand years later, are you? What are the odds?

I might not know about that particular beetle, but I could know about it's species. They leave evidence in caves and such. 5,000 years from now, would it be rational to claim knowledge of a particular beetle's activities when I have no evidence? Maybe that beetle did not consume a cow patty and was instead eaten by a bird. Your "special knowledge" of the past (as evidence) has no parallel in reality.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 1:11 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I just don't understand why it is so difficult for human beings to accept they do not know everything and there is a great possibility many things have and will exist that they will absolutely NEVER know about. Why is that so hard to accept? Your ego is way over inflated if you cannot deal with that.

You are the one claiming knowledge, not me. I'm saying I don't know, and furthermore, without evidence I can't know. I can entertain possibilities, but I don't mistake the possible for the certain.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 1:15 pm

AspE wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

You are the one claiming knowledge, not me. I'm saying I don't know, and furthermore, without evidence I can't know. I can entertain possibilities, but I don't mistake the possible for the certain.

Nope. I am saying it is always possible and you are saying, "nothing exists without evidence it existed." which is a lie. You need to accept YES something can exist without any evidence 5000 years later and we have at least SOME kind of record saying giants did exist and Baalbek is a city built by Giants. I did not make it up off the top of my head. Someone existing thousands of years ago wrote that!

For instance let's take a look at petrolium in the ground. We know it means some kind of life existed and produced that oil many years later. However, we cannot tell just by that oil, what, exactly, that life was, like down to the details because it's all mushed and changed composition. It has become something else. Well,this happens all the time on earth. Living beings become something they never were before, in time, and you have no idea what they were before. So no, you cannot be certain of anything.

And another thing that stands out as odd about this Giant stuff. Let's take a look at Rome and other cities, Egyptian ones, too. Egyptians did great things, built beautiful monuments and wonders of the world HOWEVER you do not read anywhere them being described as giants and that "Giants built the pyramids."

Another example of an ancient city is Rome. No description of being built by Giants, just normal sized people like you or me. We also have the Great Wall of China. No talk of giants there. Why does so much talk of giants exist around this specific place in the middle east? What if there was some strange, small cluster of humanoid creatures that all went extinct of which Nimrod was one, he was described as such, and they built Baalbek and also lived in Sodom and Gomorrah. They started a big war with something like 9 Kings. The Isrealites thought they were disgusting and vile, cursed sons and daughters of Canaan.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 18 Aug 2014, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 1:47 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspE wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Nope. I am saying it is always possible and you are saying, "nothing exists without evidence it existed." which is a lie. You need to accept YES something can exist without any evidence 5000 years later and we have at least SOME kind of record saying giants did exist and Baalbek is a city built by Giants. I did not make it up off the top of my head. Someone existing thousands of years ago wrote that!

For instance let's take a look at petrolium in the ground. We know it means some kind of life existed and produced that oil many years later. However, we cannot tell just by that oil, what, exactly, that life was, like down to the details because it's all mushed and changed composition. It has become something else. Well,this happens all the time on earth. Living beings become something they never were before, in time, and you have no idea what they were before. So no, you cannot be certain of anything.

I'm not saying "nothing exists without evidence it existed". I'm saying we have no way of knowing whether something exists unless there is evidence for it.

You counter by saying mythology is evidence. Why? Do you believe everything that is written?

You counter by saying that, like oil, there is indirect evidence for something living. This is much more compelling, since oil actually exists, and it comes from living things.

But stories aren't evidence, especially when they were written during a time when mankind was ignorant of the most basic things of nature.

What some ancient people were also ignorant of were building techniques that would have made large structures from stone possible. Surely these imaginative people came up with a theory, that giants did it. With the benefit of modern knowledge, it's possible to dismiss this unlikely theory for something more plausible. A race of giants that existed within living memory would have left evidence of their existence, unless this is something that happened millions of years ago. But that would have been before we even had the technology of flint knives, and so is extremely unlikely.

The fact that large stone structures were created by normal size people is further evidence that the "giant race theory" of ancient monuments is totally bogus.

Also, it is well known that ancient people mistook the bones of mammoths for a giant race of people. It's the origin of the Cyclops myth, since the hole where a mammoth grew it's trunk looked like a single eye socket. And large fossils were sometimes found. This when people had no idea how old they really were.

Last edited by AspE on 18 Aug 2014, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 1:49 pm

Um, a giant person is pretty evident to anyone with eyes! You do not need a PhD in physics to write on a piece of paper, "Nimrod was a giant."
hey
it just leaves you wondering, who were these people? What exactly went on? It is one of the greatest mysteries of antiquity, trying to figure out why some of them were described as giants. It is obvious the people who described them as such were quite lucid and aware. They were quite capable of establishing who the giants were and weren't.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 18 Aug 2014, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 1:53 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Um, a giant person is pretty evident to anyone with eyes! You do not need a PhD in physics to write on a piece of paper, "Nimrod was a giant."

Yes, it's plausible for a large person to exist. Giantism is a medical condition, not a race. Finally you are making sense within present knowledge.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 1:59 pm

AspE wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Yes, it's plausible for a large person to exist. Giantism is a medical condition, not a race. Finally you are making sense within present knowledge.

Giantism is one possible explanation even though these giants were described as really being super tall in some cases, like as tall as cedars and they were described as such around the land of abundant cedars which is odd. So it seems to suggest something beyond the realm of medical conditions and tere were more than one of them. Goliath is one. They inhabited cities around the Dead Sea which was called something else at the time. The video I posted explains it. The remaining giants died in the slime pits where the Dead Sea is now. They inhabited the cities of the Plains and also Baalbek.

The Isrealites thought them all incredibly evil as they were often the targets of God's wrath for being barbaric and worshiping idols.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 3:11 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Giantism is one possible explanation even though these giants were described as really being super tall in some cases, like as tall as cedars and they were described as such around the land of abundant cedars which is odd. So it seems to suggest something beyond the realm of medical conditions and tere were more than one of them. Goliath is one. They inhabited cities around the Dead Sea which was called something else at the time. The video I posted explains it. The remaining giants died in the slime pits where the Dead Sea is now. They inhabited the cities of the Plains and also Baalbek.

The Isrealites thought them all incredibly evil as they were often the targets of God's wrath for being barbaric and worshiping idols.

I don't find genocide to be all that inspiring.

Don't you find that these tall tales undermine the credibility of the Bible?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 3:30 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
Is there any actual paleontological evidence for them? None that I know of. Until then, I'm extremely skeptical that they're anything else other than myths.

Back in Josephus's time. the bones were around, and he wrote about them being on display.

It's easy to be incredibly skeptical but if you were not there you cannot know for sure and a lot can happen in 5000 years. Betcha there are species we don't know about that have gone extinct, all kinds. The arrogant will simply say they never existed because they were not fossilized but they would be wrong.

More than one source says Nimrod, the guy who was in charge of building Baalbek, was indeed one of these giants.

If a breeding population of giants had been around their bones would still be around in the soil, just like dinosaur bones are still around (after not 5000, but 63 million years).

Speaking of which: ancient people back then probably found fossilized bones of even more ancient extinct megafauna (like dinosaurs, or like mammoths), and didnt know WTF they were remains of. But they would know how to turn a shekel by selling tickets at the county fair by displaying them as "bones of giant humans". And some of this hype got repeated second hand by Josephus. BFD!

And the human body has structural limits. Even men slightly over six and half feet get tendon problems in their middle age from their bodies supporting so much wieght. Beyond 8 feet most human giants become bedridden for life. I dont know how "giant" you imagine that these "giants"are that you have in mind. But no humans can stand upright much beyond the stature of living people today without skeletal failure. The evidence for giants is of about the same strength as the evidence for leprauchans, fairies, and unicorns. Very slight.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 3:33 pm

They were green,jolly,lived in a valley and sold vegtables. :D

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Aug 2014, 3:42 pm

I have a cousin that is 6'7" or 6'8"ish, I imagine he would of been a considered a giant an antiquity.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 3:48 pm

Misslizard wrote:
They were green,jolly,lived in a valley and sold vegtables. :D

There is at least one surviving Jolly Green Giant. He's known for singing "Let's Stay Together","Take Me to the River",and "Call Me".

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 4:11 pm

And...another thing you haven't considered...perhaps, just maybe the evidence is there you just do not recognize it?