What are the chances of the world ending soon?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 11:24 am

Jute wrote:
I didn't say that we would be anihilated by any of the mechanisms that I listed in my previous post, I simply said that they're all possibilities and despite what you just wrote, they still remain possibilities. During the remaining lifetime of the Sun nobody can state categorically that none of those definitely can't or wont happen. A rogue planet could be set lose to drift through space, to eventually smash into Earth, when it's own star goes nova. Space maybe vast but the nearest stars (other than the Sun) are all close enough to have a direct impact on the Earth if they ever went super nova. I'm not suggesting that any of these will ever happen, just that they are conceivably possible. To dismiss them out of hand and stick to one favourite theory is blinkered. Scientists should have an open mind, anything is a possibility, a hypothesis, until proven wrong. Nobody knows anything for certain, everything is simply conjecture and probability.

As for apex species have a greater chance of commiting unintended suicide, tell that to all of the lifeforms that were wiped out in each of the mass extinction events that have taken place over the history of life on Earth.

Again, it's a matter of perspective. The events you mention I'm not claiming won't happen or that we can conclusively solve, I'm stating they are a much smaller problem. If 90% of apex species wipe out their food chain and go extinct, why try solving the remaining 10% of extinction causes first? Especially when 90% problem can and HAS to be corrected by the species itself?

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2016, 12:23 pm

Who said anything about solving anything? Personally I welcome the eventual extinction of mankind, the sooner the better, and I imagine that's a view that would be shared by the majority of other lifeforms on this planet.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 11:57 pm

The future's uncertain and the end is always near!