Your race or sex means you can't speak on this.

Page 2 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Should people be banned from expressing opinions on any topic based on their race or sex?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sometimes 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
No 85%  85%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 34

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 7:58 am

I think it's more about acknowledging some people's input is going to carry more weight due to their gender and/or race when it comes to certain topics rather than outright banning anyone.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 8:25 am

Yep. That's the best approach.

Women know more about what it means to be a woman than men do.

and vice versa.

Saying this, women can offer excellent insights to men; and vice versa.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 8:59 am

I don't think people should be banned from speaking about certain subjects based on race/sex, but I do think being a particular race/sex means your opinions carries more weight on particular topics.

For example, sorry, but I'm not going to listen to an NT who thinks they know more about what it's like to live with autism than I do.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:15 am

When I was about to go off to college, most of the people who gave me advice about college life had never attended college.

When I first started dating, most of the people who gave me advice on dating had never dated.

When I joined the Navy, most of the people who gave me advice on military service had never served in the military.

When I bought my first home, most of the people who gave me advice on home-ownership had never owned a home.

When I first got married, most of the people who gave me advice on marriage had never been married.

When I first became a parent, most of the people who gave me advice on how to be a parent were not parents themselves.

My adult life has been filled with people who had no experience in what they were advising me to do, regardless of race, sex, gender identity, et cetera. Naturally, I quickly learned to ignore most of what they said. That doesn't "violate their right to free speech", it just means that I don't pay attention.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:54 am

Antrax wrote:
This is based on culture and upbringing not race or sex. For example a 3rd generation Korean immigrant in the US would have no more knowledge of modern Korean culture than a 3rd generation European immigrant. Likewise a white person who grew up in Korea would know a lot more about Korean culture than said 3rd generation Korean immigrant.

I personally don't think it is taboo to discuss cultures you didn't grow up in, but with the understanding that a truly deep understanding of the culture necessitates an immersive experience.

Yeah I get that. But like a lot of times race and culture are intertwined. For example, I recently discussed with some people how this one kpop idol got put under serious fire for stereotyping American culture despite being of an Asian race. Its okay to have opinions on someone elses culture/race of course, but I dont think people should be able to discuss or make decisions about someone elses culture/race. If someone poses a question to African Americans than why should I, as a Korean American, be able to butt in?

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I think sometimes its better that they dont say it. Dont invite yourself into a conversation you are not a part of. You'll just make people mad.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:23 am

I pretty much agree with most of what people have said here. As I dtated, some people are more knowledgeable about particular things, I'm pretty shock how many people are clicking sometimes. There is a huge difference in saying that someone is less knowledgeable on a particular topic versus someone should be allowed to voice their opinion about any given subject simply because of their sex or race.

In the gist of it, I was told my opinion on whether a fetus in the womb is an actual baby and not just a lump of cells is invalid and that it's somehow disgusting to prove otherwise. Then I was told that I should not be able to speak about abortions because I am a man. To me, that is all very ridiculous.

It's amazing to see that some people actually support discrimination and think people should be restricted from having opinions about any given subject. I haven't heard one person actually claim that within the thread. It would be nice to hear from the people who think someone shouldn't be able to express an opinion because of their race or sex to see how exactly they justify discrimination.

Someone have a more knowledgeable opinion does not mean that the person with less knowledge should be restricted from speaking due to race or sex. Whether a fetus is alive and it's life is as valuable as any other human life is not an opinion that only women can weigh in on. Women aren't gods, they are humans just like men. They don't have any advantage in a discussion about whether a fetuses life holds value.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:25 am

While there may be nothing specifically wrong with expressing an opinion on any given subject, representing one's subjective opinions as fact is nothing short of irritating.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:30 am

Quote:
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I think sometimes its better that they dont say it. Dont invite yourself into a conversation you are not a part of. You'll just make people mad.

The problem I see with that answer is who gets to say who is restricted on what conversations? People should be allowed to have conversations, you shouldn't restrict people from speaking because others may act immature and get mad. I would say the person getting mad should take up the responsibility of learning to have a civil conversation. Different people can get mad much easier than others, that more shows a lack of self control.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:32 am

Fnord wrote:
While there may be nothing specifically wrong with expressing an opinion on any given subject, representing one's subjective opinions as fact is nothing short of irritating.

I understand that, what about when it actually is a fact? There are huge differences with opinions being stated as facts and facts being presented.

As an example, it is factual that a human that is alive is in fact alive, it's an opinion that that life holds value. Same with a fetus, it is alive, whether it's life holds value is debatable, just like you can debate whether a full grown adults life is valuable.

Last edited by Crimadella on 01 Apr 2019, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:39 am

Fnord wrote:
When I was about to go off to college, most of the people who gave me advice about college life had never attended college.

When I first started dating, most of the people who gave me advice on dating had never dated.

When I joined the Navy, most of the people who gave me advice on military service had never served in the military.

When I bought my first home, most of the people who gave me advice on home-ownership had never owned a home.

When I first got married, most of the people who gave me advice on marriage had never been married.

When I first became a parent, most of the people who gave me advice on how to be a parent were not parents themselves.

My adult life has been filled with people who had no experience in what they were advising me to do, regardless of race, sex, gender identity, et cetera. Naturally, I quickly learned to ignore most of what they said. That doesn't "violate their right to free speech", it just means that I don't pay attention.

In most cases the above. There are exceptions. I listened to my oncologist dispite that as far as I know he has not experienced tongue cancer.

Everybody has the right to non directly threatening speech. Nobody has the right to be listened too. Nobody SHOULD have the right to be protected from criticism or lawful consequences from their speech.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 11:16 am

graceksjp wrote:

For example, there are certain topics that should be ladies only. A guy does not have the right to talk about periods. Period.

PMT / PMS is the bane of my life , am I not allowed to talk about it and have to suffer in silence like a downtrodden man.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 11:24 am

You can also have experts overlook things while someone who has no degree on the subjects happens to point something out they weren't aware of. Just because someone claims to be an expert or has a degree dosen't mean they know more than a person who doesn't have a degree. I will say, the expert is surely more likely to be correct, but more likely dosen't mean that they are the atomatically correct ones. Example, I was an expert in building swimming pools, every now and then someone who was unskilled would have a really good idea to help a particular aspect. Being I am open to the idea of accepting good ideas, I would actually reason with them and try to use their idea if it was valid and give them credit. Other kinds of people, and I have knew some, will act as if they are the ultimate expert and will not take advice from others no matter what, they will use the same techniques they have always used and not accept any new ideas unless they come up with it.

Another example would be where two people that are experts on the same discussion disagree on a particular. There is no such person that is an ultimate expert, many people come toget her and battle eachother in an attempt to advance knowledge. No matter how smart you think you are, it is always possible for another to come along and prove you wrong by expressing a view or presenting evidence that may alter your perception .

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 11:27 am

graceksjp wrote:
For example, there are certain topics that should be ladies only. A guy does not have the right to talk about periods. Period.
Says who? And why?

For instance, I remember a discussion in one of my university classes, in which the topic of female penitentiary inmates was at the fore. One of the problems facing such women is that not enough pads or tampons are available to the women. Most penitentiary wardens are male, and even the female wardens seem to restrict the supply.

"Well, how many of each does the average woman need?", I naively asked.

"NONE OF YOUR *&^%%$#@ BUSINESS!", shouted one woman. The other women either nodded or voiced their agreement.

Hypothetically speaking, how is a person in charge of supplies in general (and feminine hygiene supplies in particular) supposed to know how much to order in advance, and how many to distribute as needed in an institutionalized setting if there is no way of knowing what the need may be?

Note that this is not intended to ridicule women or make light of a personal topic, but to illustrate the difficulties of men who need to know what is going on in order to provide what is needed to those in need.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Apr 2019, 11:33 am

Fnord wrote:
graceksjp wrote:
Says who? And why?

For instance, I remember a discussion in one of my university classes, in which the topic of female penitentiary inmates was at the fore. One of the problems facing such women is that not enough pads or tampons are available to the women. Most penitentiary wardens are male, and even the female wardens seem to restrict the supply.

"Well, how many of each does the average woman need?", I naively asked.

"NONE OF YOUR *&^%%$#@ BUSINESS!", shouted one woman. The other women either nodded or voiced their agreement.

Hypothetically speaking, how is a person in charge of supplies in general (and feminine hygiene supplies in particular) supposed to know how much to order in advance, and how many to distribute as needed in an institutionalized setting if there is no way of knowing what the need may be?

Note that this is not intended to ridicule women or make light of a personal topic, but to illustrate the difficulties of men who need to know what is going on in order to provide what is needed to those in need.

There is a very interesting story of an Indian man who struggled with this stuff before his invention of a cheap sanitary pads-making machine was accepted:
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26260978

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 11:57 am

To me, the reason I view discrimination of sex or race on any given topic as wrong is because it becomes a foggy line that changes from person to person, it puts you in a position of neglecting ideas based on the assumption that one race or one sex is ultimately more correct over another sex or race, people drawing those kinds of lines is what leads to race supremacy or sex supremacy idiologies (in my opinion). It's typical ideology of supremacists. Notice that I am specifically talking about race and sex, not experience or expertise. In either one of those casses, it is still wrong to suggest that another dosen't have the right to voice an opinion. You don't have to let them use your platform, but suggesting that as a human they do not have the right to speak on a matter is discrimination. Example being, a group of scientists do not have to allow a flat-earther get on their platform and talk about flat earth, but the person still has the right to express their opinions on flat earth to anyone who may want to listen to them, just as people have the right to walk away and not listen to him.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 11:59 am

SaveFerris wrote:
graceksjp wrote:

PMT / PMS is the bane of my life , am I not allowed to talk about it and have to suffer in silence like a downtrodden man.

I would say you could talk about it, but I doubt I would take you seriously if you told me something along the lines of "just get over it," as I've had some men do to me.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)