What's up with all the conservatives on here?

Page 2 of 19 [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 12:35 pm

sly279 wrote:
The definition no longer applies to modern liberals.

I think you're spot on using the word "definition". I suspect that most Brits, and probably Europeans in general, would recognise Fnord's definition; but the way that the word is commonly used in the USA often seems very different. It's often hard for outsiders to tell how much US liberal attitudes have changed, or whether it's just the meaning of the word that's shifted to include a different bunch of people than it did before.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 12:40 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I think you're spot on using the word "definition". I suspect that most Brits, and probably Europeans in general, would recognise Fnord's definition; but the way that the word is commonly used in the USA often seems very different. It's often hard for outsiders to tell how much US liberal attitudes have changed, or whether it's just the meaning of the word that's shifted to include a different bunch of people than it did before.

Liberal politicians In the us are not in favored of individual freedom they support removing all freedoms and having a government control all aspects of our lives.
Classic liberals would oppose modern liberals.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 6:41 pm

Literally, conservatism means keeping the status quo so it is easy to understand the appeal to change-averse autistics.

The rugged individualism of conservatism appeals to some autistics who like being left alone.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 7:22 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
You do know conservatives don't think highly of people on the autism spectrum, right? Or hell, anyone else that's not a straight white neurotypical Christian male.

Quote:
stereotype
noun
​a set idea that people have about what someone or something is like, especially an idea that is wrong: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... stereotype

Like those on the spectrum, conservatives tend to have certain characteristics, well here in Australia in any case.

Conservatives tend to be:
-More rational.
-Less emotional.
-More pragmatic.
-Less prone to virtue signalling.

Autistics tend to be:
-More rational.
-Less emotional.
-More pragmatic.
-Less prone to virtue signalling.

I'm a moderate conservative switch-hitter, btw. :wink:

SaveFerris wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Which party do you consider are the conservatives in the US ?

conservatives to me are usually the party that cater to the rich.

Both parties cater to the rich in the U.S.

Sod em both then :lol:

I abstained from the last erection here in Oz.
This year was the biggest on record for informal votes, so I have heard.
My one vote must have been rooly, rooly big. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 7:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
Conservatism: A political and social philosophy promoting traditional social institutions in the context of culture and civilization. The central tenets of conservatism include capitalism (e.g., free markets), limited government, tradition, rule of law, isolationism, nationalism, hierarchy, authority, gun rights and property rights.

Liberalism: A political and moral philosophy based on liberty, consent of the governed, and equality before the law. Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support individual rights (including civil rights and human rights), democracy, secularism, gender equality, racial equality, internationalism and globalism, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and freedom of religion.

Oi!
What are you doing?
Presenting definitions is my job!
You want to start a turf war? :mrgreen:

Interesting your definition includes "gun rights".
We have none here in Oz.

Also interesting that part of the definition of liberalism includes freedom of speech.
This is definitely *not* the case today with lefty political correctness on steroids, here in Oz. 8O

Regarding: Freedom of the press.
Freedom for whom?
That's right, freedom for the left-wing press. :roll:
Anyone else will be pilloried, well at least here in Australia. 8O

Keep in mind people, America and Australia are two different types of fish.
Our left-wing and right-wing seems to be quite different in some areas from America's, based on what I have seen over the weeks.

Pax. :wink:

sly279 wrote:

I have a problem with that definition also.
I thought it might have been just an Amerikan-Australian thing. <shrug>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 8:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel the Democrats are overdoing it with the impeachment thing----but I do want Trump out of there on 1/20/2021.

I am not a "Trump fanboy", but I do like the fact that he is giving China a metaphorical black-eye.
It's about time someone stands up to their international thuggery, even if there is some economical collateral damage.
We all know the consequences of appeasement post-WWII. 8O

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Literally, conservatism means keeping the status quo so it is easy to understand the appeal to change-averse autistics.

The rugged individualism of conservatism appeals to some autistics who like being left alone.

Agreed.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 10:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Absolutely. I'm fiercely independent. I consider myself a centrist; for example, I believe the Democrat and the Republican parties are two sides of the same bad penny. Even so, the pervasive liberal goal of attempting to force regulate and micromanage an endless number of aspects of the life of the individual is darkly sickening to me. I'm very much in the "leave me alone" and "I know what's best for me" camp.

Also, I have to say, OP, your argument that conservatives are unfavorable to autistics and I would presume you'd think people with disabilities in general (I'd want to see proof) could be countered with the liberal ideology which accepts and promotes eugenics in the form of softly encouraging abortion of infants In Utero who test positive for many things that are considered disabilities.

If a fetal test was conclusive at diagnosing autism In Utero, does anyone here really think it's a stretch to assume that abortions would occur for that reason alone? The thought of my yet to be born fellow autistic "brothers and sisters" never getting a chance to live saddens me.

Please consider that as well.

Also, you could do a poll, but I would guess 80% of people here would identify or align with "liberal" ideology versus people who identify or align with "conservative" ideology. Personally, I'm completely fine with it either way.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 12:36 am

Magna wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Absolutely. I'm fiercely independent. I consider myself a centrist; for example, I believe the Democrat and the Republican parties are two sides of the same bad penny. Even so, the pervasive liberal goal of attempting to force regulate and micromanage an endless number of aspects of the life of the individual is darkly sickening to me. I'm very much in the "leave me alone" and "I know what's best for me" camp.

Also, I have to say, OP, your argument that conservatives are unfavorable to autistics and I would presume you'd think people with disabilities in general (I'd want to see proof) could be countered with the liberal ideology which accepts and promotes eugenics in the form of softly encouraging abortion of infants In Utero who test positive for many things that are considered disabilities.

If a fetal test was conclusive at diagnosing autism In Utero, does anyone here really think it's a stretch to assume that abortions would occur for that reason alone? The thought of my yet to be born fellow autistic "brothers and sisters" never getting a chance to live saddens me.

Also, you could do a poll, but I would guess 80% of people here would identify or align with "liberal" ideology versus people who identify or align with "conservative" ideology. Personally, I'm completely fine with it either way.

Last time I checked, it was largely conservatives who were into eugenics.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 12:49 am

Quote:

Unless you want to make progressive decisions for yourself that is.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 1:14 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Magna wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Read a history book, it was Democrats.
Republicans are against abortion and want ever kid born regardless of how disabled they are.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 4:10 am

sly279 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Magna wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Read a history book, it was Democrats.
Republicans are against abortion and want ever kid born regardless of how disabled they are.

But who's advocating for eugenics now? Besides, you are aware that Republicans stop giving a s**t about children once they're out of the womb, right?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 5:20 am

I would imagine most people here vote for the same reasons NTs do.

Yes, I am on the spectrum, but it doesn't define me. I am a political moderate/centrist, btw.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 6:35 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
You do know conservatives don't think highly of people on the autism spectrum, right? Or hell, anyone else that's not a straight white neurotypical Christian male.

That's what the left has programmed you to believe.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 May 2019, 7:59 am

Pepe wrote:

Also interesting that part of the definition of liberalism includes freedom of speech.
This is definitely *not* the case today with lefty political correctness on steroids, here in Oz. 8O

Interesting that you associate liberalism with "the left". What is the major right-wing party in Australia called?

(Of course, political correctness is in no way contradictory with freedom of speech)

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 8:02 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
But who's advocating for eugenics now? Besides, you are aware that Republicans stop giving a s**t about children once they're out of the womb, right?

Abortion is a liberal platform.

From Wiki: "Eugenics is a set of beliefs and practices that aim to improve the genetic quality of a human population by excluding certain genetic groups judged to be inferior, and promoting other genetic groups judged to be superior."

I don't know if you have kids, but in the U.S. at least EVERY pregnant woman is strongly urged to have an amniocentesis test as well as other fetal testing. In plain terms, all the testing is done to find out if the baby has a disability and if so, make the offer to abort. People can call it it whatever they like, but read that definition of eugenics again.

I want autistics to live.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 9:08 am

I recently became familiar with the term virtue signalling. It explains a lot about liberalism.