Page 2 of 10 [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 1:01 pm

Odin wrote:
In a democracy the government IS the citizens.

But government certainly is not the individual.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 4:44 pm

Odin wrote:
dktekno wrote:
Quote:
I have no problem with either jury duty or conscription. a limited "national service" thing may even be a good thing IMO.

Why shouldn't the citizens have the right to choose their own occupation, instead of the government forcing them to perform specific labor?

In a democracy the government IS the citizens.

Only 51% of them, not all of them. And of course, we are not a democracy.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 5:14 pm

Go ahead and be a parasite if you want, enjoy the fruits of our society and give nothing back like a selfish loser, let the adults take care of the adult things. People fought and died for the privledge of serving on a jury, because without it, there is injustice.

Also, you do get paid for it.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 5:26 pm

AspE wrote:
Go ahead and be a parasite if you want, enjoy the fruits of our society and give nothing back like a selfish loser, let the adults take care of the adult things. People fought and died for the privledge of serving on a jury, because without it, there is injustice.

Also, you do get paid for it.

Um.... we do still have to pay taxes, don't we? So, I really don't see how we aren't giving back. People did not fight and die so they could have jury duty, they fought and died for a better society. This includes juries, but I thing greater emphasis was placed on a number of other different variables.

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Feb 2008, 8:45 pm

I am in the UK and got a letter once telling me I had to do Jury Service.. But I filled in the form that came with it to opt out and gave my reason for not being out the house for so many years so I would be incapable to function on a jury.

That was over a year ago I sent that reply but didn5t get anything back so I guess they got someone else. :)

monty
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 9:48 am

dktekno wrote:
Quote:
I have no problem with either jury duty or conscription. a limited "national service" thing may even be a good thing IMO.

Why shouldn't the citizens have the right to choose their own occupation, instead of the government forcing them to perform specific labor?

Jury duty is not an occupation. It is very temporary service - usually 1 or 2 days. It is pretty rare to see a case last more than a week. While they do pay, it is not much, and my employer covered my normal salary.

I have been summoned 3 times. Once I went in and waited a few hours. They said "we have all the jurors we need this week - thanks, go home." The second time, they were seating a jury for a DUI case - it would have taken me two days if I was put on that jury (I wasn't). I answered questions about myself and my feelings on alcohol, crime and the law. After 3:00 pm that day, they discharged me. The third time I got summoned (last month), they kept telling me to call a voice mail service at the court house. For a month, I called the number on Monday and Friday. At the end of the month, they said I fulfilled my duty, stop calling.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2008, 8:15 am

for shame! you want to be like the athenian citizens and recive three obols to attend, when you should just be proud to be able to contribute to the great democracy??

Aristophanes has some harsh, harsh words for you.

That_Other_Guy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2008, 12:31 am

dktekno wrote:
Conscription and Jury Duty is slavery! I can't believe that the western world still uses forced labor!

Look, you're still panicing about being called for jury duty. Don't worry, it's always worrying when you're doing something new and unknown. But you come out knowing whether or not you can do it.

My advice : Bring something to do while you're waiting. It's likely to be a long wait and you'll need something to do.

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2010, 9:26 am

It's amusing watching people here say it is not slavery.

Slavery is a real word with a real meaning and part of that definition is not "bad" or "evil". Saying jury duty isn't slavery because you think it's right is like saying the death penalty isn't killing because you support it. Slavery is slavery whether it is justified or not. If you support jury duty you have to explain why slavery in this instance is just when it is not in others or alternatively explain why slavery in general is just.

Reminds me of a time when I mentioned the fact that enforcement of the law is force so that for a law to be justified force must be and then people tried arguing that it wasn't force. And I'm not even a libertarian. In fact I'm a Marxist.

You are using a fallacy that goes like this:

"Word A" is usually associated with bad things even though a moral value judgement is not a techincal part of it's definition.
I find a circumstance that technically involves "Word A" morally justifiable.
Therefore under that circumstance it is not "Word A".

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 9:51 am

AspE wrote:
Don't be stupid. You should appreciate that justice in America is still weighed by the citizens. You are part of society, not a parasite. I serve proudly when I'm called.

Your exercise of virtue should be a matter of choice, not something compelled by law.

And we are all forced to pay taxes so we are not parasites.

ruveyn

Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 9:59 am

I believe that rights also come with responsibilities.

On the matter of conscription; there is a legitimate argument that it is a good source of national building and in places with small populations it could be argued to be necessary. However, in the case of my own country I am against it. We got through two World Wars without it; on that its fair to contend we probably don't need it.

On the matter of Jury duty. You have a right to be judged by a jury of your peers; it therefor follows that you have a responsibility, when necessary, to be one of those peers.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Nov 2010, 10:14 am

Orwell wrote:
dktekno wrote:
Conscription and Jury Duty is slavery!

So is taxation.

Now we're starting to get somewhere! :lol:

Coercion is morally wrong no matter how well intentioned.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 10:15 am

Why is this even an issue? But then again I don't understand the reason for a lot of the off the wall silly ass topics that come up on WP. :roll:
Serving on a jury is one of the duties of being a citizen. I've done it and it didn't kill me. Most judges will excuse you if you have a valid reason to be but please have a valid reason and not just BS.

Comparing jury duty to slavery is just plain neurotic.
Get a goddamn life.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 10:40 am

AspE wrote:
Don't be stupid. You should appreciate that justice in America is still weighed by the citizens. You are part of society, not a parasite. I serve proudly when I'm called.

And it's also filled with professionals who are trained to manipulate juries in their favor...

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 2:54 pm

Tequila wrote:
Jury duty is not slavery you moron. Do you want a fair justice system or a tinpot affair ruled over by government?

He probably wants a tinpot affair ruled over by government, and I wish I was joking.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 4:07 pm

What about volunteer juries. We have volunteer fire departments, why not volunteer juries?

ruveyn