tell me this is not how americans really think

Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 5:44 pm

Dox47 wrote:
The problem here is assuming that the average American has any views on Canada at all, it's basically a non-entity as far as most of us are concerned, and I don't see that changing unless we run out of wood. I've always advocated selling it to the Chinese, who are in fact running out of wood and would probably be willing to give us top dollar for it, as well as not being the types to get too bent out of shape about displacing a few illiterate sport fishermen and rude psuedo-Frenchmen.

wow.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 5:53 pm

Dox47 wrote:
The problem here is assuming that the average American has any views on Canada at all, it's basically a non-entity as far as most of us are concerned, and I don't see that changing unless we run out of wood. I've always advocated selling it to the Chinese, who are in fact running out of wood and would probably be willing to give us top dollar for it, as well as not being the types to get too bent out of shape about displacing a few illiterate sport fishermen and rude psuedo-Frenchmen.

when i told spanish guys, friends of my younger uncle, im from norway, some of them go "where is norway?" and i am really surprised. luckily these guys are street punk hoodlums, and it doesnt take too much to explain it "the elongated country to the north"
"aaaah"

americans however, has actually replied "whats norway?", and are people ive talked to online, people who have the world of internet in front of them :D

ahhhaaa :D

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2009, 5:59 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

when i told spanish guys, friends of my younger uncle, im from norway, some of them go "where is norway?" and i am really surprised. luckily these guys are street punk hoodlums, and it doesnt take too much to explain it "the elongated country to the north"
"aaaah"

americans however, has actually replied "whats norway?", and are people ive talked to online, people who have the world of internet in front of them :D
Unfortunately, most of my fellow Americans are horrible with geography. It is true that there is a large segment of the American population that simply does not care about things such as international news, or geography. I’m not quite sure why this is, but it seems to be that many Americans feel as if things that happen overseas do not affect them, which is clearly false. I think I saw something on Leno once where most people couldn’t locate Iraq or Afghanistan on an unlabeled map, even though we have been at war with these countries for years now. :(

ahhhaaa :D

Unfortunately, most of my fellow Americans are horrible with geography. It is true that there is a large segment of the American population that simply does not care about things such as international news, or geography. I’m not quite sure why this is, but it seems to be that many Americans feel as if things that happen overseas do not affect them, which is clearly false. I think I saw something on Leno once where most people couldn’t locate Iraq or Afghanistan on an unlabeled map, even though we have been at war with these countries for years now. :(

zerooftheday
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2009, 6:24 pm

Uhh, Red Eye is Fox's version of the Daily Show/Colbert Report. They're making jokes, i don't think anyone is serious about invading Canada. There are no appreciable resources that we can't get cheaper through trade, no land that we need, and you're being evil towards us.

I'm an American, I like Canada. Canadians are nice folks, we could learn a lot from you. And I won't call you unskilled in the art of war, Canadians took one of the Normandy beaches, and have done an incredible job in Afghanistan. I'm sorry you had to bury soldiers. I'm thankful you sent them, it wasn't your war, but you sent your men anyways, and I deeply appreciate that.

On the other hand, if a country announces it's going to give it's entire military a year-long break, expect a joke about invasions. I mean, honestly, it's pretty funny in a world that is dominated by countries who always try to look as tough as possible.

I'm still worried about you, Canada is just so low-key that I'm starting to think you've spent 150 years waiting for the right moment to conquer half the world. You're too quiet...

vibratetogether
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Mar 2009, 6:24 pm

starvingartist wrote:
vibratetogether wrote:
I think Canada is awesome. My family used to visit Victoria every year, love that place. Also love Vancouver.

A good chunk of my heritage comes from the Acadians, the French-Canadians that intermarried with Mi'kmaq indians (I believe you refer to them as First Nation).

actually the people who were the result of the intermix of early french-canadian and first nations peoples have their own title-- métis. they, along with the first nations and the inuit, constitute the three types of aboriginal peoples officially recognised by the gov't here.

I did not know that. I know my past relatives were from Nova Scotia, and my parents are really into music from that area right now.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 6:28 pm

zerooftheday wrote:
Uhh, Red Eye is Fox's version of the Daily Show/Colbert Report. They're making jokes, i don't think anyone is serious about invading Canada. There are no appreciable resources that we can't get cheaper through trade, no land that we need, and you're being evil towards us.

No wonder it sounded so stupid and crazy.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 7:13 pm

They are just shock-jocks kind of like Howard Stern. I have to admit though, the idea of a military taking a year off does leave a lot of room for that to become comedic material.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 7:15 pm

I have never known any American who has any sort of hostility toward Canada.

zerooftheday
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2009, 7:21 pm

Canadians are like our little brothers and sisters, the nice ones. England is our parent, and we both live next door to each other. I only say little because we are technically bigger than you. Sociology/historically, the case could be made that the US and Canada are siblings.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 8:14 pm

zerooftheday wrote:
Canadians are like our little brothers and sisters, the nice ones. England is our parent, and we both live next door to each other. I only say little because we are technically bigger than you. Sociology/historically, the case could be made that the US and Canada are siblings.

when you say "bigger", are you talking land? because if you are, i hate to break it to you but canada is the second largest country in the world...the first is russia, not the US.

zerooftheday
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2009, 8:37 pm

True, but I meant size as in population. And unfortunately size of population, a large portion of Americans are fatasses. And we're older, too.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 8:38 pm

The end all is simply that America is too diverse to form any sort of generalizations. There are people who believe and do the stupidest things, yet there are also plenty of people who are perfectly intelligent individuals. The culture varies so much from place to place that I honestly believe that in the unlikely event of the federal government collapsing, the U.S. would not reform into a single nation for a very long time, it's possible that it never would.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 9:23 pm

I say we need to bomb Ontario until they free Québec.
Vive le Québec libre! :wtg:

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 10:16 pm

zerooftheday wrote:
Uhh, Red Eye is Fox's version of the Daily Show/Colbert Report. They're making jokes, i don't think anyone is serious about invading Canada.

I thought that "honor" belonged to the 1/2 hour news hour?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 10:54 pm

starvingartist wrote:
zerooftheday wrote:

when you say "bigger", are you talking land? because if you are, i hate to break it to you but canada is the second largest country in the world...the first is russia, not the US.

The US de facto ownz the whole wrld n00b

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 10:57 pm

Hey Hey -.- don't go bombing Ontario, as much as we dislike them englophones in Ottawa for taking BS decisions regarding us, we still don't wish for them to be bombed o.o . And what was that about the "rude pseudo-frenchman"? ^.- I could easily say that about some Americans just as easily. Oh and, about the issue regarding the "rest" of the army, i've learned recently that in some countries of Eastern Asia, there have been provinces which are treated as regional brothels and more and more governments from foreign countries send their armies there after a war (including USA's). How's that for prostitution? <.<

And hey, wth about USA owns the world? I'll let you know that more and more countries have begun acting independantly of you guys, mostly because of the Bush years. Just take example of what's happening in South America and the Mercosur. Or even the coalition of the African countries. Heck even the EU isn't remotely subject to american decisions and as for the rest of the world, there's only mister Harper who's sucking up to you guys and Australia is a moot point. Then you have those that are more or less against the USA, such as Russia, the middle east and China =/ .