Is there anything to "Men's Rights" groups?

Page 12 of 14 [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

redriverronin
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2013, 1:17 am

oh yah keni iys playin an pimpin on dees females 24 7 i gats a big dick tooo mayn ie aint gos na prolem deewen wit dem females iys gits my paper cus wen i dunt gits wats i wonts i jaws jack ans slaps dees females sall good days nos i luvs dem afer days has mu baby dats hows iys sows my luv iys aint gos na job so iys aint gos ta gib dees females nun ma paper das ma paper iys be stakin

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 1:29 am

I'm torn on MRA. On one hand I do agree with most of their fighting for various men's issues. The only problem I see is, the fact that there's a war going on between the sexes. I've thought about how much feminist man hating makes me angry and how it's loud and annoying. And how ridiculous articles feminists make up about patriarchal conspiracies and how Taylor Swift is a slave to patriarchy and stuff. http://jezebel.com/5953879/dont-go-call ... ylor-swift

Then I realized MRA was to counter that. So I can agree with MRA, but the problem is, to women, if I'm an MRA, then I've come to the conclusion that I'm just the same as those loud annoying feminists. I don't like loud annoying feminists, so I don't know why girls would like loud annoying MRAs either.

I think the only way for MRA to gain any traction is to be, well, not like loud annoying feminists.

But more likely, if they do gain traction, it will be how feminists gained traction. Probably by acts of public vandalism and being generally loud and annoying. I kinda find it sad how neither side can really make peace happen.

tl;dr, me being a men's right person is like meeting a girl who reads jezebel.com regularly. Probably annoying as all hell to be around.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 3:55 am

Amen to the conspiracy bit. My biggest beef with feminism (as expressed by many) is the patriarchal conspiracy thinking and how quick they are to throw labels like misogynist around.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 8:43 am

MCalavera wrote:
Amen to the conspiracy bit. My biggest beef with feminism (as expressed by many) is the patriarchal conspiracy thinking and how quick they are to throw labels like misogynist around.

Well MRA thinks there's a feminist conspiracy. Really, the groups are exactly the same thing.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 9:14 am

1000Knives wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

Well MRA thinks there's a feminist conspiracy. Really, the groups are exactly the same thing.

This.

I particularly love the one where women being "picky" about who they have sex with is really a Feminist Conspiracy to give women all the power in dating.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 9:29 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
I particularly love the one where women being "picky" about who they have sex with is really a Feminist Conspiracy to give women all the power in dating.

Well, that is indeed a terrible situation. MUST be a conspiracy.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 10:26 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

This.

Now I'm curious about who says that exactly. I know many feminists like to blame the patriarchy for a lot of disadvantages that women in general face, implying a conspiracy type of thinking. But what you state is a new one.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:29 pm

The questions are a little invasive, but I'll indulge you here.

Well, technically she's not my wife. May as well be though, we've been together longer than many married couples I know, lived together for years. Only reason we're not actually married is because weddings are expensive, and there's been no particular reason for it yet, no kids or anything.

Anyhow, both she and I were raised in the modern western culture. We're both around 30. Her last relationship was similar to this one in that it was healthy and positive. Dissimilar in that it was with another woman and that it was much shorter, only lasted a year. It didn't end badly, the other girl just had to move to be with her family in another country.

My own past relationships have been, by and large, far more negative. But I attribute this to my own aspieness being a draw for the minority of women who are sh***y, rather than assuming the majority are that way. It's easy for a woman to trick me, for a while, into thinking that she's a decent person when she's really not. But I've known enough women who I wasn't romantically involved with to know that most are not like that.

As for our jobs, I'm unemployed at the moment but usually drive for a living. She works in the service industry. I'm assuming that you're trying to figure out if one of us is shouldering more of the financial burden than the other. And no, that's not the case. She has an easier time maintaining steady employment than I do, but I tend to make more when I am employed. It pretty much balances out.

As for my parents, it's funny how much my relationship parallels theirs. Their both in their 50's, both from the same culture, modern western, were together for quite a long while before getting married. My father tended to make more money, but had a long period of unemployment when I was young. My mother was in the same job from age 20 'til 50 when she retired, now works a few hours a day as a schoolteacher.

In other words, there's nothing really that seperates our relationships from most people's, other than the fact that they are ours.

A lot of the things you bring up, I agree (somewhat) with you about. The only difference (though it's a pretty big difference) being just how many people we think display those behaviors. You think it's a majority of men, and a vast majority of women. I think it's a rather small, roughly equal, minority of both. I think the way they act makes them stick out in people's minds more, making it seem like there are far more of them than there really are. Sadly, the nice regular majority tend to be kinda forgettable unless you get to know them well.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:35 pm

MCalavera wrote:
Now I'm curious about who says that exactly. I know many feminists like to blame the patriarchy for a lot of disadvantages that women in general face, implying a conspiracy type of thinking. But what you state is a new one.

Seems like most of them sometimes. I had a bit of interest in the MR movement for a while, specifically he father's rights side of it. Disassociated myself from it when I saw for myself what nutjobs most of the people involved were. No one talked, they ranted. And every rant seemed to either start or end with what basically amounted to "damn women won't sleep with me."

They came across as pretty much a horde of "nice guys" gone feral.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 7:30 pm

Ok, but it's hardly conspiracy thinking. Just a bunch of frustrated people.

I do agree that there is a conspiracy kind of thinking among MRAs, but the above is just a rant.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 7:33 pm

MCalavera wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

This.

I've heard it from random idiots.

Obviously, they don't represent the entire MRA, but every movement has its wackjobs.

Oh, and for the record, I don't believe in "Patriarchal Conspiracies" either.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 12:20 am

Having been raised by a single dad I can say that there is a certain bias against men who are also single parents. That said, most MRAs are total nut crackers.

Was not spoken of the soul.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 7:55 am

To me, there is a general stigma the extreme feminists and mra's put out on those simply looking for equality, that gives both parties a bad name. Even to me, because of the way a few nasty women have acted, I have a somewhat distaste for women who ladies who are to bossy or controlling. If it wasn't for them, I might like strong assertive women even more, as I find them somewhat attractive. I wish the feminists, who are sweet, nurturing, and support the equality of men as well, were more numerous than they are, it seems today they are very much a rare gem in today's world. I also would like if more guys, who were the gentleman like people, were more laid back, I mean kind of like a traditionalist mixed with a feminist, a chivalrous man who believes in the independent women, and teaches ladies self deference classes on weekends, if you catch my drift. So many guys are then also the non traditional jock, who control ladies more, but that is a whole nother mindset. There is a difference between chivalry and traditionalism.

In general, those extremists among both groups give the more genuine people a bad name, and that is the side that needs to stop, not the ladies who genuinely believe there is good in men, and feel equality for them too, same goes for mra's.

redriverronin
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2013, 2:19 am

I mean kind of like a traditionalist mixed with a feminist, a chivalrous man who believes in the independent women, and teaches ladies self deference classes on weekends, if you catch my drift. appletheclown you are seem to be on a very semilar tain of thought to me i would say iam much more jaded than you based on my and pretty much every guy ive meets experiences.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 7:48 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
The article is obvious quite down on the Men's Rights Activists--lumping them together with Pickup Artists, and characterizing them as being motivated primarily by sexual frustration.

Feminists have been around since at least the Suffragette movement, and are quite well organized, with their national organizations, charters, political activism, fielding of speakers, whole university departments devoted to feminism, magazines, and everyone genuflecting to Gloria Steinem.

I can't speak of every nation, but in the USA, the laws (in many ways) are blatantly anti-male, and the courts routinely can shaft a man because the law does not care about justice or equity....which is utterly contrary to what the law is supposed to care about.

In domestic matters, men routinely get shafted by the courts. In employment, while many claim it is a "man's world" still, the reality is that unless you are socially or politically-connected, being a woman works more to your advantage when all other factors are equal.

Frankly, the feminist movement has been trying to emasculate American culture to the point that women now complain that they can't find any "real men" to date/marry. No surprise there. Women may say they want the intelligent and cultured metro sexual, but what tends to get women fired up is the neanderthal who knows how to be a man.

The US education system is a blatant example of this. How many young boys on psychotropic drugs because they are not allowed to go out in the school yard and roughhouse for an hour during the day? Boys are boys....the old-time schoolmasters and schoolmistresses understood this. Now, they want boys to behave like girls and think they kids have ADHD because they are full of energy and have no way to let it out during the day.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 8:42 am

zer0netgain wrote:
I can't speak of every nation, but in the USA, the laws (in many ways) are blatantly anti-male, and the courts routinely can shaft a man because the law does not care about justice or equity....which is utterly contrary to what the law is supposed to care about.

Laws may disadvantage men in USA in some ways but I highly doubt they're intended to give men a hard time. Women also have their disadvantages in the legal realm. It's not because of a conspiracy.

Quote:
Frankly, the feminist movement has been trying to emasculate American culture to the point that women now complain that they can't find any "real men" to date/marry. No surprise there. Women may say they want the intelligent and cultured metro sexual, but what tends to get women fired up is the neanderthal who knows how to be a man.

I can agree that many feminists do want masculine men to stop exhibiting too much masculinity as extreme masculinity can be a trigger for rape and such. I also agree that typical women can't help being attracted to masculine men no matter what they say against them.

Quote:
The US education system is a blatant example of this. How many young boys on psychotropic drugs because they are not allowed to go out in the school yard and roughhouse for an hour during the day? Boys are boys....the old-time schoolmasters and schoolmistresses understood this. Now, they want boys to behave like girls and think they kids have ADHD because they are full of energy and have no way to let it out during the day.

I'm not getting you here. Are you saying ADHD isn't real? Or are you arguing it's overdiagnosed?