Page 13 of 34 [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 34  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 12:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
binstein wrote:
WOW, another example of Cancel Culture, whatever happened to freedom of speech?

Comparing the republican party to the jews looks like a bad analogy or at least how it was worded, but I think she meant that they, the republicans, are the "marginalized group" which I don't agree with it in it's entirely, but I can see why she feels that way and understand her frustration.\.

You do know she's pro-Trump and believes the narrative most of the media runs fake news so should be cancelled.

"You can't have your cake and eat it" The Pro-Trump people have been trying to cancel left wing causes/movements/issues so it's rather rich when they talk about defending free speech.

Secondly Gina Garano is not some innocent "babe in the woods", she has been consistently promoting the QAnon philosophy which is the same group who's members are technically a terrorist organisation. My only question is why Disney originally hired her knowing her prior history as a right wing nutjob.

Where did she say she supports QAnon? Plus there's no evidence that her new movie is going to be a propoganda movie. They didn't even announce a premise for the movie yet, so there is not way to tell.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 12:56 am

ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
binstein wrote:

Comparing the republican party to the jews looks like a bad analogy or at least how it was worded, but I think she meant that they, the republicans, are the "marginalized group" which I don't agree with it in it's entirely, but I can see why she feels that way and understand her frustration.\.

You do know she's pro-Trump and believes the narrative most of the media runs fake news so should be cancelled.

"You can't have your cake and eat it" The Pro-Trump people have been trying to cancel left wing causes/movements/issues so it's rather rich when they talk about defending free speech.

Secondly Gina Garano is not some innocent "babe in the woods", she has been consistently promoting the QAnon philosophy which is the same group who's members are technically a terrorist organisation. My only question is why Disney originally hired her knowing her prior history as a right wing nutjob.

Where did she say she supports QAnon? Plus there's no evidence that her new movie is going to be a propoganda movie. They didn't even announce a premise for the movie yet, so there is not way to tell.

I posted an article outlining how she and other MMA fighters have bought into QAnon conspiracies

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 1:08 am

Oh okay, is the article in this thread?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 1:29 am

ironpony wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
What she said isn't really anti-Semitic, but comparing people disagreeing with your political views to the treatment people who were eventually rounded up into concentration camps, starved, and killed is a pretty crappy comparison. It implies you think you will be rounded up like that in the future over your political views, which is asinine for anyone in the U.S. to be implying.

Disney just doesn't want people who make asinine comparisons of victims of an attempted genocide to work for them. I wouldn't want people who make comparisons like that to work for me either, especially if my business was known as a family-friendly company like Disney is branded to be.

I thought what she was saying about people being persecuted like that in the future might be accurate like she was saying, the way the US seems to be going now. I mean it's because of people's political differences in the US that bombs were brought into the capitol building recently, so I thought if that's going to happen over politcal differences, then maybe it will lead to a war of persecution. So I didn't find her comments to be asinine when you compare it to current events, unless I am just thinking all wrong about it.

But I think if her analogy was extreme, don't people tend to make extreme analogies though, in order to make their points more potently? For example, if someone had a problem and they were to say "The Titanic has just hit the iceberg!", would that be considered offensive, since the Titanic was a big tragedy? Is that offensive to say?

The Titanic is being compared to the cold in Texas. That is because they have no power, it's freezing out and pipes are bursting. People are also freezing to death too like they did in the water after it sunk. Not only that but people are dying from other things too like carbon dioxide poisoning for trying to stay warm. That is all due to the cold. They were not equipped for cold weather so they couldn't build fires nor did they have camping gear to cook their foods and they had no winter clothes to keep warm. Lot of them didn't know how to shut off their water after the pipes burst. Even if they did have the water dripping just a little, the water still froze making the sink get overfilled with water and they would have a flooded kitchen. That incident got compared to Home Alone.

I don't think these are offensive because it's pretty accurate.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 1:31 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
What she said isn't really anti-Semitic, but comparing people disagreeing with your political views to the treatment people who were eventually rounded up into concentration camps, starved, and killed is a pretty crappy comparison. It implies you think you will be rounded up like that in the future over your political views, which is asinine for anyone in the U.S. to be implying.

Disney just doesn't want people who make asinine comparisons of victims of an attempted genocide to work for them. I wouldn't want people who make comparisons like that to work for me either, especially if my business was known as a family-friendly company like Disney is branded to be.

It was anti Semitic because she was trivializing the issue of what happened to the Jews during that time. Plus she was being too technical about it too by saying it was the neighbors that beat them in the street, not Nazis. People will be technical to be smart asses and to be jerks to trivialize issues. That is why people got upset.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 2:28 am

League_Girl wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

It was anti Semitic because she was trivializing the issue of what happened to the Jews during that time.

If your intention is to find fault with it, certainly.

If your intention was to read it as posted, it was simply a messgae showing what can happen when hatred for a group increases to a certain level.

League_Girl wrote:
Plus she was being too technical about it too by saying it was the neighbors that beat them in the street, not Nazis. People will be technical to be smart asses and to be jerks to trivialize issues. That is why people got upset.

So, this sort of post would be equally "technical" and\or "anti-semitic"?
Quote:
When we look at Auschwitz we see the end of the process. It's important to remember that the Holocaust actually did not start from gas chambers. This hatred gradually developed from words, stereotypes & prejudice through legal exclusion, dehumanisation & escalating violence.

Source: https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/418487-auschwitz-museum-says-its-important-to-remember-holocaust-did

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 4:43 am

League_Girl wrote:
Plus she was being too technical about it too by saying it was the neighbors that beat them in the street, not Nazis. People will be technical to be smart asses and to be jerks to trivialize issues. That is why people got upset.

Actually she was making up stuff. Almost all the physical beatings jewish civilians experienced prior to WWII was exacted firstly by brownshirts and then the SS in Germany. Almost all the cases of civilian neighbors beating and killing jewish people was in the occupied territories in the Ukraine, Baltic states and Croatia.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 4:45 am

Brictoria wrote:
If your intention was to read it as posted, it was simply a messgae showing what can happen when hatred for a group increases to a certain level.

I wasn't aware it was innapropriate to dislike criminals Brictoria? Or is it "hatred" only when they are pro-Trump?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 6:02 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

I wasn't aware it was innapropriate to dislike criminals Brictoria? Or is it "hatred" only when they are pro-Trump?

Where was any group indicated as being the target in her post?

As I read it (and it is in rather plain, simple language), she was asking how hating someone for their religion (as happened in the past) differs from hating someone for their political views (as happens on both sides now), after indicating the extreme potential result of such hatred - Any implications of a specific group are entirely from the imagination\experiences of the reader. From what I have seen, some see those they dislike as the target group being discussed and become defensive because of the implications for their own group, others see it as a generic message that the hatred from both sides is a problem and needs to be stopped.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 9:54 am

cyberdad wrote:

Well according to the articles, she believes in a conspiracy theory. But does that make her a bad person? Lots of people believe in conspiracy theories, unless that's bad?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 11:51 am

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

Where was any group indicated as being the target in her post?

As I read it (and it is in rather plain, simple language), she was asking how hating someone for their religion (as happened in the past) differs from hating someone for their political views (as happens on both sides now), after indicating the extreme potential result of such hatred - Any implications of a specific group are entirely from the imagination\experiences of the reader. From what I have seen, some see those they dislike as the target group being discussed and become defensive because of the implications for their own group, others see it as a generic message that the hatred from both sides is a problem and needs to be stopped.

First, I had never even heard of Gina Carano so it's impossible for me to be bias against someone I never even heard of and I am not even into Star Wars and never watched the films but Episode 1 and I didn't really enjoy that either.

When I first saw the name and it mentioned she got fired or something, I googled it and then I wanted to know what it was she exactly said that got people angry and I found the post she made and read it and thought it was messed up and so ignorant.

I could say you are just finding a reason why her post was so innocent while you can claim the rest of us are just looking for a reason to find something wrong with that post.

Last edited by League_Girl on 23 Feb 2021, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 11:58 am

Well after she made this remark and got fired from Disney, right after pretty much, Ben Shapiro (who is Jewish) has now given her a movie deal, so I wonder, is her remark really considered anti-semetic, if right after she makes it pretty much, she gets a movie deal from a Jewish celebrity?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 12:07 pm

binstein wrote:

It is still very much here, with a few exceptions you still can not be arrested for saying your opinion. What is happening is in more and more places and situations less diversity of opinion is being allowed with higher consequences for saying unacceptable things.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 12:21 pm

League_Girl wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

It was anti Semitic because she was trivializing the issue of what happened to the Jews during that time. Plus she was being too technical about it too by saying it was the neighbors that beat them in the street, not Nazis. People will be technical to be smart asses and to be jerks to trivialize issues. That is why people got upset.

I don’t think her intent was to trivialize it or to agree it was a good thing which would be anti semitic. I think she views it as a horrible thing. But she like the vast majority of others using Nazi analogies did trivialize it. I am as anti cancel culture as anybody here but it is not the Holocaust, not close.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 5:02 pm

But I don't think he mentions the holocaust though does she? She says Jewish people were persecuted by being beaten in the streets. That's not the holocaust, as in arrested and imprisoned and executed. Isn't what she was saying different than the holocaust?