Page 17 of 34 [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 34  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 12:23 pm

Some people seem to perceive the right to "Free Speech" as a license to be total jerks, so they spout all the bigotry they can, and then wonder why they are being "canceled" by people whom they have deliberately offended.  They just do not get it -- bigotry has no place in an advanced society, and those who know this will distance themselves from bigots.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 12:25 pm

That's true, I understand that. I just didn't think that her comparing how people are treated in modern day US to using how Jewish people were persecuted in the streets, was not hatred or bigotry. It was just a dramatic comparison, but I don't think it was hatred or bigotry, or that she was being a jerk. So I feel that she didn't go that far really to qualify for that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 3:29 pm

ironpony wrote:
It was just a dramatic comparison, but I don't think it was hatred or bigotry, or that she was being a jerk. So I feel that she didn't go that far really to qualify for that.

I think Gina Carano isn't that intelligent or articulate and she appears to be susceptible/vulnerable to programming from the QAnon people who seem to target gullible individuals willing to believe their theories.

Therefore I don't think she understood the consequences of what she was saying and that she felt emboldened by the ex-POTUS and his open expression of vile comments not realising while he has a free pass to say whatever he wants that she is subject to decency/moral/ethics in how she presents herself to Disney's audience and Disney were perfectly entitled to say that her views are not acceptable for one of their employees to spout on social media.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 3:30 pm

"Dramatic comparisons" to historical genocides certainly strike me as a dis-qualifier for being employed by the creators of Mickey.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 3:36 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I think Gina Carano isn't that intelligent or articulate and she appears to be susceptible/vulnerable to programming from the QAnon people who seem to target gullible individuals willing to believe their theories.

Therefore I don't think she understood the consequences of what she was saying and that she felt emboldened by the ex-POTUS and his open expression of vile comments not realising [...] that she is subject to decency/moral/ethics in how she presents herself to Disney's audience and Disney were perfectly entitled to say that her views are not acceptable for one of their employees to spout on social media.
↑ This.

I think that while most bigots and jerks are simply not intelligent enough to understand that what they say has negative consequences, the rest know with great certainty that they will face negative consequences; and that when they do, they will claim to be victims so as to garner more sympathy from like-minded people (e.g., other bigots and jerks).

I also think this may be the case with Ms. Carano.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 3:37 pm

Oh yeah that is right, being intelligent is nor required for being an actress. You only need the ability to study and the ability to practice long hours and have the skill. That has nothing to do with intelligence.

People with a PHD or with other college degrees, I would just assume they are trolling because I find it hard to believe they would be that stupid.

I also notice celebrities no longer have that celeb privilege of saying anything they want without any consequences.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 3:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Therefore I don't think she understood the consequences of what she was saying and that she felt emboldened by the ex-POTUS and his open expression of vile comments not realising [...] that she is subject to decency/moral/ethics in how she presents herself to Disney's audience and Disney were perfectly entitled to say that her views are not acceptable for one of their employees to spout on social media.
↑ This.

I think that while most bigots and jerks are simply not intelligent enough to understand that what they say has negative consequences, the rest know with great certainty that they will face negative consequences; and that when they do, they will claim to be victims so as to garner more sympathy from like-minded people (e.g., other bigots and jerks).

I also think this may be the case with Ms. Carano.

There has been a study about low intelligence and racism and they are actually linked and they said you are more likely to be closed minded and bigoted if you have lack of intelligence. I can see how the intellectually impaired and the slow learning community may take offense to this.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 3:44 pm

Oh well I didn't think what she said was bigoted because she was merely using a comparison when talking about people being persecuted. Bigoted people, do not care about persecution, and can be pro-persecution, so a bigoted person would not talk about it because they do not care. She is anti-persecution in her remarks, so therefore not a bigot, or at least that's how it seems to me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 3:44 pm

ironpony wrote:
That's true, I understand that. I just didn't think that her comparing how people are treated in modern day US to using how Jewish people were persecuted in the streets, was not hatred or bigotry. It was just a dramatic comparison, but I don't think it was hatred or bigotry, or that she was being a jerk. So I feel that she didn't go that far really to qualify for that.

I just had an online (maybe former now) friend compare digestive issues to smoking breaks and lunch breaks and vape breaks and that angered me because this was straight up ableism from my friend.

Yes this is hatred and bigotry.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 3:48 pm

But I don't understand how using a group of an example of persecution is considered bigotry though. Let's say you are talking about people being persecuted in the US, and you want to use a group of people who were persecuted in the past as an example. Which group of people could use as example without it coming off as bigotry? If not Jewish people, then who? African-Americans, Native Americans, Palestinians, Algerians, etc?

Which group of people are acceptable to use as an example when talking about persecution, without it being considered bigotry?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 5:46 pm

ironpony wrote:
But I don't understand how using a group of an example of persecution is considered bigotry though. Let's say you are talking about people being persecuted in the US, and you want to use a group of people who were persecuted in the past as an example. Which group of people could use as example without it coming off as bigotry? If not Jewish people, then who? African-Americans, Native Americans, Palestinians, Algerians, etc?

Which group of people are acceptable to use as an example when talking about persecution, without it being considered bigotry?

Because it's offensive to compare not being allowed to say hateful things to being Jewish who were persecuted for simply being Jewish.

I really don't see how this is confusing to understand.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 6:13 pm

League_Girl wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Because it's offensive to compare not being allowed to say hateful things to being Jewish who were persecuted for simply being Jewish.

I really don't see how this is confusing to understand.

Oh I didn't think she was saying hateful things about being Jewish, because she said that Jews were beaten in the streets, but she was condemning it. I didn't think it was hateful if she was condemning it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 7:14 pm

She was comparing the treatment of Trump supporters by "liberals" with the treatment Jews received from the Nazis.

Did any "liberal" put her in a concentration camp, and gas her?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 7:16 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh I didn't think she was saying hateful things about being Jewish, because she said that Jews were beaten in the streets, but she was condemning it. I didn't think it was hateful if she was condemning it.

My understanding, it is like getting kicked out of the library for shouting obscenities, and then comparing yourself to civil rights protestors that were arrested for protesting against an unjust racist system so that you can say that you too know what it like to be oppressed. Except that shouting obscenities is spreading unfound conspiracy theories in the vein of Donald Trump, and those civil right protesters were sent to actual death camps.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 8:07 pm

Well she said beaten in the streets, so I thought she was talking about how Jews were beaten in streets, and comparing that to modern day US. I thought that Jewish people were persecuted in other ways besides being imprisonsed and gassed to death, which she was using as an example.

I just feel like people are twisting her words when she describes certain events of persecution, and people seem to be filling it with other events of it, if that makes sense?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 9:25 pm

She was saying that people are being trained to beat up people with right wing beliefs much like what happened with the Jews. Which does kind of carry with it the implication of things will ramp up. It is regardless ridiculous, saying that people not having patience for BS that will cause trouble as people take things as illegitimate with no credible evidence, and not to mention the pandemic scepticism that will get people killed, and has killed a lot of people already. It is not even a matter of punishing her for these beliefs, but whether a capitalist minded company like Disney wants to be associated with it.