Page 20 of 29 [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 29  Next

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 3:57 pm

ruveyn wrote:
In any case too many of us are becoming rich without being productive and that is a situation that bodes no good for our society. I think the productive among us should gain as much as the market permits from their contributions and productions. It is the productive people who make the rest of us prosperous and comfortable.

ruveyn

Certainly no-one doing actual, productive work is going to get rich from his efforts. He is only going to contribute towards making someone else rich.

I remember during the last decade, our president espousing the idea of what he called an "Ownership Society." Real estate prices and stock prices were bubbling upwards, and many of us were convinced that we were on the verge of becoming a nation of millionaires. We could eliminate Social Security, and no-one would be hurt who wasn't pursuing a career of waitressing or being a Walmart "associate", and there was no reason for anyone to care about these low-lifes, anyway.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oU7M4OeSRM[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 4:56 pm

pandabear wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
In any case too many of us are becoming rich without being productive and that is a situation that bodes no good for our society. I think the productive among us should gain as much as the market permits from their contributions and productions. It is the productive people who make the rest of us prosperous and comfortable.

ruveyn

Certainly no-one doing actual, productive work is going to get rich from his efforts. He is only going to contribute towards making someone else rich.

I remember during the last decade, our president espousing the idea of what he called an "Ownership Society." Real estate prices and stock prices were bubbling upwards, and many of us were convinced that we were on the verge of becoming a nation of millionaires. We could eliminate Social Security, and no-one would be hurt who wasn't pursuing a career of waitressing or being a Walmart "associate", and there was no reason for anyone to care about these low-lifes, anyway.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oU7M4OeSRM[/youtube]

Shhhhhhhh. Don't let Inuyasha hear you say that! He thinks you can blame that entirely on the Democrats. :P

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 11:20 pm

:roll:

I never said George W. Bush was perfect, but he's a hell of a lot better than our current President.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

I never said George W. Bush was perfect, but he's a hell of a lot better than our current President.

You're right. Obama is even more right-wing than Bush, and we can see the dismal consequences all around us.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 11:59 pm

Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

You're right. Obama is even more right-wing than Bush, and we can see the dismal consequences all around us.

Obama is about as right wing as a gerbil.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 12:18 am

Am I the only guy who likes Obama anymore?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 12:20 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Although I hope so, unfortunately that probability is low. Hopefully for the rest of us who don't want another Depression it's not going to be enough to win the next election.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 12:32 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Although I hope so, unfortunately that probability is low. Hopefully for the rest of us who don't want another Depression it's not going to be enough to win the next election.

My question was more half humorous, half rhetorical.
But I will continue to stick by my man, Barack, even though he's so far knuckled down to the plutocrats who want to redistribute all the nation's wealth to the top 1%, solely for the sake of being a conciliator.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 1:37 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

But I will continue to stick by my man, Barack, even though he's so far knuckled down to the plutocrats who want to redistribute all the nation's wealth to the top 1%, solely for the sake of being a conciliator.

Look, there should be better laws regarding equality of contracts, but the notion of the state declaring eminent domain upon one's belongings, no matter how rich or poor, does not bode well with me. People who are merely heads of businesses shouldn't be contractually benefited from the work of others as much as they are. There should be better measures as to job performance and perhaps a maximum wage or something but not through excessive taxation. Having the contracts of employment, housing, etc, made into negotiable items for each party would be a start, and having such refereed to ensure that swindling doesn't occur would also be good.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 1:46 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Look, there should be better laws regarding equality of contracts, but the notion of the state declaring eminent domain upon one's belongings, no matter how rich or poor, does not bode well with me. People who are merely heads of businesses shouldn't be contractually benefited from the work of others as much as they are. There should be better measures as to job performance and perhaps a maximum wage or something but not through excessive taxation. Having the contracts of employment, housing, etc, made into negotiable items for each party would be a start, and having such refereed to ensure that swindling doesn't occur would also be good.

I'm not talking about excessive taxation - just a return to the rate under Bill Clinton, which is what Obama wants.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 1:54 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I'm not talking about excessive taxation - just a return to the rate under Bill Clinton, which is what Obama wants.

Is he planning on mimicking Clinton now? If that fails in the current situation will he then blame slick willy for his problems?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 2:05 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Is he planning on mimicking Clinton now? If that fails in the current situation will he then blame slick willy for his problems?

Considering that we had pretty amazing prosperity under Clinton, Obama certainly could choose a worse role model.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 6:26 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Considering that we had pretty amazing prosperity under Clinton, Obama certainly could choose a worse role model.

While Clinton did do some amazing things while in office (who would have expected it from a Democrat?) please note that the economy started going into the tank during the last year of the second Clinton administration. The Dot-Com bubble popped.

ruveyn

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 9:15 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Liberals seem less inclined to blind partisanship than conservatives, so a Democrat will judge Obama on his record and thus disapprove, and a Republican will never bother to look at the record- they need only know that he is Obama and therefore evil, even though during his entire administration he has been doing exactly what a Republican would do.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 9:18 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Your economic views are much, much farther left than mine. It's sad that you can be so easily duped into voting against your own interests and your beliefs by the culture warriors, who don't even do a damn thing to actually advance your social conservative beliefs.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 10:04 am

Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Your economic views are much, much farther left than mine. It's sad that you can be so easily duped into voting against your own interests and your beliefs by the culture warriors, who don't even do a damn thing to actually advance your social conservative beliefs.

Enough with the "voting against your own interests" mantra.