Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

sc
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2006, 6:00 pm

I'm neither, I think both are of complexes in possibility, but there is certain instigations that are not intended to be funny, intelectual or otherwise that have been even making me mad. One guy claiming to be a satanist just picking on Christians with false discriptions.. Its really pethetic.

Some comments are meant to create social divide it seems, just cuasing problems.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2006, 7:30 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Veresae wrote:
Endersdragon wrote:
As far as I can tell they only starting spewing this "crap" after you attacked their faith. I would reither you go to Iraq and see you debate faith over there :-D.

Nah, that's just when they get defensive. From where I'm standing they spew all kinds of anti-logical (and in my opinion, highly immoral) crap before an atheist touches a thread...but then I consider Christian "morality" to be superficial and hypocritical (if existant at all), and Christian "logic" to be bizarrely illogical and with an all-too-eager acceptance of the physically impossible.

I also dont get how you insult other people moral codes when you spend your time insulting other peoples believes.

Good point. Heh. I didn't mean to insult all Christians, just the way some interpret the text. Also, wheres killing and rape and what not is purely immoral, I consider insulting to be more of a matter of unkindness and bigotry.

In my defense, I'm not posting any arrogant Christian comments here...nor do I support this thread's existence, really. But I stand by what I said before: they get defensive after their beliefs are attacked, but that's not when they start talking about stuff that, quite frankly, resembles children talking about Santa, and I'm sorry if that's insulting or unkind to say but...I don't consider it immoral to say, just as I don't find it immoral for a Christian to say, "There HAS to be a God...I don't know how athesists can't see it." I understand, though, that Christians have their beliefs assaulted in this day and age almost as much as atheists do--at least on the internet.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2006, 10:02 pm

it is wrong to judge anyone for what they believe as long as their beliefs don't hurt others. True, bad christians are giving christianity a bad name. As a person who has my own science-based religion that also touches the supernatural, I do not believe in a god, rather, a force or an energy without a collective conscience, which runs the polyverse. And though I adhere to no labels either politically, religiously, philosophically, or sociologically, as I personally find following a pre-laid-out set of beliefs and opinions blindly, I do not discriminate on their right to believe as they wish, and though I may find it to be a sign of mental and/or emotional weakness, I do not judge them for it.... Rather I try to seek their stronger points as a human being... Unless they insist on forcing their views on me.

muchacha
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2006, 2:48 pm

McJeff wrote:
As an athiest, I am embarassed by the way my fellow athiests on this board act.

Likewise, although I've been guilty of doing it myself when I get revved up by a pre-existing
current of abuse. Anger is a SO issue for me I'm afraid.

I'm starting to feel a bit like it's either an AS thing or an internet forum thing to get totally belligerent about atheism, whereas most NT atheists are just over it. Generally, in most real life discussions I've witnessed on the issue, they tend to realise that a) they get absolutely nowhere with it, and b) intolerance of anyone's belief in a god is, in fact, emulating exactly the bigoted zealotry that had long characterised organised religion, and ultimately led to it's fall from relevance and influence in much of western society.

Certainly the whole concept that "God doesn't exist because I said so", "I don't have to prove God doesn't exist to ram my views down your throats" and the never-stated-but-oh-so-often-implied "Whether you impose your views on others or not is irrelevant, you must justify them to me to be considered a thinking and questioning human being" is the mark of some seriously deficient social skills. Anyone who's had to live in the real world, without excuses, for nearly 30 years before Dr. Asperger wrote them their licence to act like a***hole realises that the influence of religion is today limited to those that accept it. It isn't "The Establishment" anymore, at least not in our society. Active and practising Christians today are a minority and getting kicked while they're down. And those who are doing it, well aren't you so "progressive" and "forward-thinking"?

While we're on that subject - the vast majority of the world's population today are agnostics, not atheists. If we're talking about any one belief system having moral or intellectual superiority over another - and therefore, having no onus of proof - then it should be remembered that in the mainstream of society, the absolute belief that there's no God is considered as strident as that there is one, if not more.

If I seem to be kicking my own "side" in the balls here, it's only because I'd rather see atheism upheld by arguments that stand up in the real world, and show some understanding of why decent, intelligent people might believe otherwise.

So what's mine? Quite simply, that in a pre-scientific age, people that were much more at the mercy of the elements and fate for their survival naturally felt a need to humanise those forces and to give them an identity. However, this concept has parallel-developed in just about every culture known to history, yet the variations that exist between different cultures are fundamentally irreconcilable. They can, at best, be watered down in the interest of political expediency. Some say they don't believe in God because of the world's suffering; I don't believe that any God would allow, much less create, so much confusion as to his/her identity.

Now of course a believer is not just going to accept that straight off the bat, but at least the idea of "humanised forces" (roughly inspired by Nietzche) gives some acknowledgement that the origins of "God" had a strong benevolent aspect for its time that simply doesn't hold up today. That "God" held cultures and societies together until science and the arts offered us more credible and logical answers to our questions. That "God", for all the evil done in his/her name, has also inspired decency and morality among those who still, to this day, struggle to find it in secular ideology.

So I don't need "God", and I believe that I've weighed the evidence carefully before rejecting the concept. But some others are going to weigh the evidence and come up with different answers. And it might just be better for everyone that they do.
:wink:

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2006, 3:17 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Actually Ive yet to see a post where a Christian insulted an atheist without first being attackted himself, maybe the atheists should just realize that no Christian is going to just up and decide to convert to atheism because of what you say so its best to go by the old say "if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all."

Speaking for myself only, I was only a "cradle" christian rather than a "happy clappy", but it was the debate of an atheist that converted me to atheism. thankfully.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2006, 3:18 pm

The funny thing is that on NP, most atheists present good arguement with lots of good logic, and the christians look stupid. Here, it is almost the opposite. Some people do present good arguement, but I mostly agree with the christians here. I find that distrubing.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2006, 7:10 pm

Barracuda wrote:
The funny thing is that on NP, most atheists present good arguement with lots of good logic, and the christians look stupid. Here, it is almost the opposite. Some people do present good arguement, but I mostly agree with the christians here. I find that distrubing.

Are'nt you a christian too??