Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 3:33 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Sand wrote:
91 wrote:
I have also had an experience. I was an atheist before it occurred.

There is no good reason for some people in this forum to accuse this person of being deluded. In fact it runs counter to the rules of the forum.

Delusion is not an insult, it is a medical condition and requires therapy.

Assuming the person is deluded though, what if he is telling the truth and isn't deluded? There have been numerous reports of visitations by Angels, you can't tell me every single one of the people whom sited an Angel are either deluded or lieing.

angelic delusion topic:

(response style stolen for sillyness)

regarding these reports (and all others), how would you describe "an angel?"

what do angels look like? what different types of angels are there? what does the bible say about them?

serious questions to ask before citing "reports of visitations by angels."

because i'm telling you that "every single one of the people whom sited an angel are either deluded or" lying.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 3:54 pm

waltur wrote:
because i'm telling you that "every single one of the people whom sited an angel are either deluded or" lying.

Uh huh...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28364813

There are other reports of people seeing angels that originally didn't believe in them.

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 4:18 pm

Humans have a natural tendency to grant agency to things that do not have it, whether it is tree spirits or gods. Children generally start out as dualists (and most do not change as adults) - they believe minds and bodies are seperate and therefore minds can exist without bodies (angels). A desire to attribute meaning to everything comes from the evolutionary advantage that attributing meaning to events that may be meaningful bestows. If you are familiar with the concept of an angel, there is a good chance that given the right circumstances you will see one. It doesn't mean that the angel is real. Most people overestimate the reliability of their own minds.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 4:28 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
waltur wrote:

Uh huh...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28364813

There are other reports of people seeing angels that originally didn't believe in them.

when i worked in a film lab, i saw much better anomalies of light.
this really looks like an optical illusion. not even a very good one.
the mother said that when she saw it she instantly knew that it was "either an angel to take her to heaven or it's an angel to say she's getting better."

....because it couldn't possibly be an optical illusion..... definitely not an accidental trick of light + reflection + low quality security camera....

must be "miracles."

....just like magnets, right?

also: why do you think that's what angels look like? where did you get this idea from? how does the bible actually describe angels?

the answer to that last question will force sexual intercourse upon your brain.

fear not, however, as i'm sure you can just (ir)rationalize it away.

Maranatha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2010, 8:03 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Maranatha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Maranatha wrote:
So hurt is real. Seems like the word "hurt" is the whole point of that other word?

It's not evil to the person benefiting from it.

I guess that's why they created judicial systems and prisons then?

Yes, to prevent the parasites. Unfortunately the parasites now own such control systems (what a shocker, something that seeks to gain power would gain power).

Who are "the parasites"??? (And don't parasites benefit from their host anyway?)

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 8:39 pm

Maranatha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Maranatha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Maranatha wrote:
So hurt is real. Seems like the word "hurt" is the whole point of that other word?

Yes, to prevent the parasites. Unfortunately the parasites now own such control systems (what a shocker, something that seeks to gain power would gain power).

Who are "the parasites"??? (And don't parasites benefit from their host anyway?)

And you think the "evil" of the world don't benefit from their host?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Maranatha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2010, 9:21 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Maranatha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Maranatha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Maranatha wrote:

I don't regard humans as being on equal footing with tapeworms or body lice.

I also don't recall denouncing anybody...

We seemed to agree on the existence of 'hurt' and 'acts that serve to hurt others'. Maybe we just need a less overused word than 'evil'...

Howzabout:

Malice
1. desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out of deep-seated meanness: the malice and spite of a lifelong enemy.
2. Law. evil intent on the part of a person who commits a wrongful act injurious to others.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 11:29 pm

Maranatha wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
there is light, and there is less light.

I went on a cave exploration tour once and when we got to the deepest section of the tour, the guide shut the lights off inside the cave.

It got less light reeeeeeeeaaaaaally quick. :wink:

i am scared of the dark, so that would scare the bejeez outta me real quicklike.

Maranatha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2010, 11:34 pm

Yeah, I like cave tours and all but that wasn't an experience I feel like going through again. Too much dark. 8)

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 1:45 am

Maranatha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Maranatha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Maranatha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Maranatha wrote:

I don't regard humans as being on equal footing with tapeworms or body lice.

I also don't recall denouncing anybody...

We seemed to agree on the existence of 'hurt' and 'acts that serve to hurt others'. Maybe we just need a less overused word than 'evil'...

Howzabout:

Malice
1. desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out of deep-seated meanness: the malice and spite of a lifelong enemy.
2. Law. evil intent on the part of a person who commits a wrongful act injurious to others.

That's a lazy definition. Meanness is just another way to say that one is trying to sate deep seated emotional and psychological problems. If you just dismiss it as meanness and meanness alone then there is no solution and there is no need to waste time and energy on mercy and study and an effort to fix the problem at hand.

The difference between a professional politician, a priest, and a pedophile is very little. All desire power over others, it's just a matter of effectiveness and ability to find a socially acceptable outlet. Maybe a pedophile was encouraged into an anti-social outlet whereas a politician was encouraged through life to pursue a socially positive outlet for the same desperate struggle for power over others to sate a parasitic ego.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Maranatha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2010, 7:36 am

You seem to have a strong grievance against something, but I don't understand what exactly it is you're referring to.

So instead of the word "evil" or "malice" we could call it "anti social behavior" -- which causes "hurt" and that at least part of the "solution" calls for "mercy"?

Fine by me. Seems rather unmerciful to do otherwise. :)

Last edited by Maranatha on 11 Nov 2010, 12:46 pm, edited 8 times in total.

ivegotyou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Nov 2010, 11:02 am

i dont think its safe for me to go outside anymore.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 11:58 am

ivegotyou wrote:

It never was safe to go outside. Ever.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 7:04 pm

ruveyn wrote:
ivegotyou wrote:

ruveyn

Staying inside has its problems also.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 7:26 pm

Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
ivegotyou wrote:

ruveyn

Staying inside has its problems also.

Meaning it is not safe anywhere.

ruveyn

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 10:15 pm

there is less safe and more safe. one should be thankful that not everything is equally unsafe.