What is the most beautiful civilization created by mankind?

Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 6:47 pm

Quote:
They are not lyrical material.

:D

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:29 pm

Vigilans wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
TechnicalPacifist wrote:
The pre-historic hunter-gatherers. Not that they were a culture/civilization, but you get my point.

Working at most 20 hours a week and probably living a life as sexually active and promiscuous as Bonobo chimpanzees? Sounds good

And the Good Times lasted maybe 35 years.

ruveyn

That's okay, 35 years of careless sex and hunting would probably feel better then 80 years of slaving in an office cubicle

Unless you were a woman. Then you were pregnant from the minute you hit puberty until you died, probably whilst having a baby.

The only thing that makes the modern world tolerable is birth control :P

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:31 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
TechnicalPacifist wrote:
The pre-historic hunter-gatherers. Not that they were a culture/civilization, but you get my point.

Working at most 20 hours a week and probably living a life as sexually active and promiscuous as Bonobo chimpanzees? Sounds good

And the Good Times lasted maybe 35 years.

ruveyn

That's okay, 35 years of careless sex and hunting would probably feel better then 80 years of slaving in an office cubicle

Unless you were a woman. Then you were pregnant from the minute you hit puberty until you died, probably whilst having a baby.

The only thing that makes the modern world tolerable is birth control :P

Just wrap it in a sheep's bladder condom like they used to do 8) The ancient Egyptians had some methods of birth control too. Equally unpalatable :lol:

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:40 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Just wrap it in a sheep's bladder condom like they used to do 8) The ancient Egyptians had some methods of birth control too. Equally unpalatable :lol:

HIPPO DUNG! :lol:

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:40 pm

Quote:
Just wrap it in a sheep's bladder condom like they used to do Cool The ancient Egyptians had some methods of birth control too. Equally unpalatable Laughing

HIPPO DUNG! Laughing

:lol: Exactly!

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 8:02 pm

Paleolithic birth control = fingerbang

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 8:04 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

I thought that was high-school contraception?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 8:04 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLS_HARAYZQ

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 12:33 am

Despite the brutality of their entertainment and military I'd say the Roman Empire at its peak.

What they built and the engineering they did it with is awe inspiring..their citizens enjoyed rights that are almost modern and very advanced compared to their contemporaries around the globe.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 1:52 am

Modern western civilization between 1945-1979. Highest living standards and life expectancy known to man(and woman). Be thankful for what you have!

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 2:39 am

I read a link the other day that said they had found a buried site in Turkey that was 12,000 years old.

More than twice as old as any other prehistoric site.

Don't ask me for the link. I don't write down every site I visit.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 3:49 am

ruveyn wrote:
Philologos wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
TechnicalPacifist wrote:

So beautiful. Typical life span -- 35 years.

And when the game was scarce they starved.

ruveyn

Do NOT get me started. I am resisting.

Why don't you wax lyrical on the beauty of slums and nursing homes?

ruveyn

A long lifespan is something relatively recent in human history. Speaking specifically about Ice Age Europe, the hunter gatherers (Cro Magnons) very often stood over six feet tall, and had a heavy layer of muscle covering their huge skeletons; a result of their high protein diet. The human population world wide probably never rose above a million people - if that. So it's doubtful there would have been a scarcity of animals to eat, as the human population was so small. Paleolithic Europeans were for the most part migratory, they would naturally follow herds of animals if food became scarce in one place. And because resources appear to have been plentiful, it's unlikely differing tribes or bands of humans regularly fought one another, whether they were fellow Cro Magnons, or Neanderthals. On top of that, Paleolithic art - whether it was the cave art of Lassauex (I know, spelling), or realistic woodworking, such as a life sized lion man discovered in Germany, or an apparently carved from life portrait of a man used as a staff head - was without peer for long centuries after.
So anyhoo, if I have to choose the most beautiful human civilization, it would be the Cro Magnon civilization of Paleolithic Europe.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:33 am

I always thought of Hawaii, pre-1600's
Warm, plenty of food, beautiful, few stresses.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:47 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

So anyhoo, if I have to choose the most beautiful human civilization, it would be the Cro Magnon civilization of Paleolithic Europe.

Primitive, lovely, ignorant. The poor sods who lived in that "beautiful" civilization did not even know that all of the stuff of their lives was made of atoms.

The most exalted state for a human is knowing the causes of things.

ruveyn

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 9:58 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Philologos wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
TechnicalPacifist wrote:

So beautiful. Typical life span -- 35 years.

And when the game was scarce they starved.

ruveyn

Do NOT get me started. I am resisting.

Why don't you wax lyrical on the beauty of slums and nursing homes?

ruveyn

A long lifespan is something relatively recent in human history. Speaking specifically about Ice Age Europe, the hunter gatherers (Cro Magnons) very often stood over six feet tall, and had a heavy layer of muscle covering their huge skeletons; a result of their high protein diet. The human population world wide probably never rose above a million people - if that. So it's doubtful there would have been a scarcity of animals to eat, as the human population was so small. Paleolithic Europeans were for the most part migratory, they would naturally follow herds of animals if food became scarce in one place. And because resources appear to have been plentiful, it's unlikely differing tribes or bands of humans regularly fought one another, whether they were fellow Cro Magnons, or Neanderthals. On top of that, Paleolithic art - whether it was the cave art of Lassauex (I know, spelling), or realistic woodworking, such as a life sized lion man discovered in Germany, or an apparently carved from life portrait of a man used as a staff head - was without peer for long centuries after.

.. those were just about my thoughts as well. :lol:

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 10:04 am

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Primitive, lovely, ignorant. The poor sods who lived in that "beautiful" civilization did not even know that all of the stuff of their lives was made of atoms.

The most exalted state for a human is knowing the causes of things.

ruveyn

The cause of things is available even without postulating quarks. When YOU know the cause of quarks we can talk. Maybe.