What will it take to convert you from atheism?

Page 3 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:08 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Moog wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
1) Proof of God
2) Proof of my sanity upon seeing proof of God

Proof of God's sanity not required

Well he must have multiple personality disorder if he thinks he's a 3 in 1 package ...

Nah, that is just some goofy idea some man/men dreamed up.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:46 pm

Falsifiable proof.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:57 pm

leejosepho wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Moog wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
1) Proof of God

Well he must have multiple personality disorder if he thinks he's a 3 in 1 package ...

You mean the ones that created the Bible? Is the Trinity not a Biblical concept?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 2:02 pm

God could probably walk down out of the sky walk up to an Atheist and slap said atheist. The Atheist still wouldn't believe God was real even when God is standing right in front of their face.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 2:17 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
God could probably walk down out of the sky walk up to an Atheist and slap said atheist. The Atheist still wouldn't believe God was real even when God is standing right in front of their face.
I'd have to rule out insanity before I believe it's not just me, and it's reasonable for me to do so since there's things like schizophrenia, temporal lobe epilepsy, etc. You're implying that I would have reasons to deny, but why wouldn't I want God to exist? Why wouldn't I want the comfort of someone watching over me and the hopes that someday I'll be able to see my dead family members?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 2:19 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
I'd have to rule out insanity before I believe it's not just me, and it's reasonable for me to do so since there's things like schizophrenia, temporal lobe epilepsy, etc. You're implying that I would have reasons to deny, but why wouldn't I want God to exist? Why wouldn't I want the comfort of someone watching over me and the hopes that someday I'll be able to see my dead family members?

So a handprint to the side of your face wouldn't be proof for you?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 2:19 pm

If some Being came up to me and claimed to be God, why should I believe It? What proof ought to be forthcoming?

If God wants acceptance as fact then It must behave in such a way that there can be no reasonable doubt of Its claims.

ruveyn

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 2:22 pm

ruveyn wrote:
If some Being came up to me and claimed to be God, why should I believe It? What proof ought to be forthcoming?

Ask to see his badge.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 2:23 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

So a handprint to the side of your face wouldn't be proof for you?
It would be once I rule out insanity. But that's the tricky part.

Moog wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Ask to see his badge.
Agent Yeshua, get down on the ground and put your hands behind your back! I have a warrant for your rapture, you can't run or hide!

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 2:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:

If God wants acceptance as fact then It must behave in such a way that there can be no reasonable doubt of Its claims.

ruveyn

If some being comes up to you and claims to be god, I strongly advise you to cut him/it/her. Walk away, go on with your work, ignore [I will say it].

It is worse than meeting thde Buddha on the road - I am not convinced it is even advisasble to try to kill it.

Reported incidents of this sort of thing happening indicate highly undesirable outcomes if the person approached buys into it.

Reputable gods do not do that sort of thing. Even the rather disreputable gods of the classic IndoEuropean pantheon in the stories told go around in disguise. Even Zeus does not swagger in to the inn and say "Hey, I'm Zeus, who would like to help me make a demigod?"

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 3:45 pm

ruveyn wrote:

Uh, maybe something like finding yourself face-down and blinded?!

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 3:54 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Moog wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
1) Proof of God

You mean the ones that created the Bible?

No, "the bible" is an assemblage of books (separate writings), and not an original (single) literary work.

AceOfSpades wrote:
Is the Trinity not a Biblical concept?

Some people say it is, some say it is not, and I tend to think the second group is correct.

The strongest "trinity" arguments I have ever heard seem able to show either/and/or trinity/triune "shadowed" throughout even the physical realm, but the best "non-trinity" argument even matches in principle its very own single report/statement:

"... the first and most important article of faith is the shema, that YHWH is one, and there is only one YHWH. I have learned from experience that unless that most basic point is agreed upon there can be no right fellowship. It is the most basic truth of our faith." (Mountain Jew)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 8:08 pm

leejosepho wrote:

Paul confused epilepsy or grand mal with an encounter with The Lord.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 8:41 pm

Modern technology has clearly demonstrated that godly power cannot be demonstrated without the obvious suspicion that merely superior technology is involved. Any insane genius with a basic insight into superiority technology could perform what the gullible might assume is a miracle and declare himself as God. It just doesn't work anymore.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 8:44 pm

ruveyn wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

Paul confused epilepsy or grand mal with an encounter with The Lord.

... and now you are the first to have ever noticed?! :wink:

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 8:46 pm

Sand wrote:
Modern technology has clearly demonstrated that godly power cannot be demonstrated without the obvious suspicion that merely superior technology is involved. Any insane genius with a basic insight into superiority technology could perform what the gullible might assume is a miracle and declare himself as God. It just doesn't work anymore.

Oh where, oh just where was such a mere man while I was yet dying of chronic alcoholism?! :roll: