Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

28 Mar 2012, 8:47 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Sometimes the power dynamics between a patient and therapist can change.

Yes they can change, they can change both ways!
Plus to make you aware there is also a demarcation issue with client/therapist relationships outside of the profession setting.
As its a dual relationship (dual as in client/therapist & friends or lovers etc.) which might have no clear boundary between social and therapeutic interactions.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 6:12 am

Yes, it is wrong. It is a violation of ethics. Any therapist who flirts with their client is in the wrong regardless of whether it is "consensual" or not.

To give you an idea of what therapist abuse looks like, here is a good story about it. The problem lies in the power difference and the use of gaslighting techniques.

http://www.survivingtherapistabuse.com/my-story/

The relationship becomes abusive when the therapists uses his/her power to take advantage of the patient. Even if the therapist has no evil intentions, it is still a violation of ethics and common decency and any therapist who resorts to such behavior has issues of their own and cannot be trusted as positive emotional influence. This goes beyond an arbitrary set of rules. This is about mutual respect, honesty, and the pledge to do no harm.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 3:11 pm

My therapist says "do no harm" applies to both therapists and patients. Also my therapist is not a control freak and allows her healing power to be transferred to her patient so that others may be healed.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 9:36 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
My therapist says "do no harm" applies to both therapists and patients. Also my therapist is not a control freak and allows her healing power to be transferred to her patient so that others may be healed.

Sounds fishy. Sounds like something a narcissist would say to me.

So, is this thread just a hypothetical question or is that based on personal experience?

You say your therapist is not a sex criminal. Have you had sex with her or has she had sex with another client? I'm confused. This sounds like a very serious issue to me.

I know it's fashionable in movies for the therapist to have sex with the client and oh whatever, no big deal. But in real life it's really not that simple. Some therapists do unfortunately use their power to brainwash clients and take advantage of them. It's just wrong.