Page 3 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 10:35 am

YippySkippy wrote:
You see, even atheists can make Biblical references that put down other people.

True to that.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 11:27 am

YippySkippy wrote:

His holier-than-thou attitude reminds me of the Pharisees. :wink:
You see, even atheists can make Biblical references that put down other people.

Watch what you say about Pharisees. Every Jew of the Ashenazic tradition is a Pharisee.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 3:14 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
kxmode wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses have no authority to dictate what the rest of us will and will not do for fun.
Nobody is dictating anything. I am simply conveying information about the celebration. What you do with it is your business.
No, what you're doing - which you try to do on every freaking holiday - is sh*****g on everyone else's fun by subtly accusing us of being bad people. If you don't like it, don't celebrate it - in the meantime, kindly shut up.

^ THIS.

If someone doesn't want to enjoy life with the rest of us, then why don't they just go away?

I honestly believe that such people are evil, and deserving all of the scorn we can heap upon them.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 3:24 pm

This is how I like celebrating christmas!! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmCrIZeob4w[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 4:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
I honestly believe that such people are evil, and deserving all of the scorn we can heap upon them.

This is overdramatic a way of thinking and attitude. I don't agree that they are necessarily evil.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 8:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Fnord wrote:
kxmode wrote:
Even people who aren't Jehovah's Witnesses know Christmas is a pagan holiday.

So? The days of the week are named after pagan gods. What about that?

Jehovah's Witnesses have no authority to dictate what the rest of us will and will not do for fun.

On top of that, every other Christian or claiming to be Christian denomination celebrates Christmas. Sort of leaves the Witnesses the odd man out.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

The Quakers traditionally didn't celebrate it, but now most of them do because they don't see any harm in it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 1:40 am

puddingmouse wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Fnord wrote:
kxmode wrote:
Even people who aren't Jehovah's Witnesses know Christmas is a pagan holiday.

So? The days of the week are named after pagan gods. What about that?

On top of that, every other Christian or claiming to be Christian denomination celebrates Christmas. Sort of leaves the Witnesses the odd man out.

The Quakers traditionally didn't celebrate it, but now most of them do because they don't see any harm in it.

Yay for the Quakers!

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 5:23 am

And for those who hate Christmas!! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy9q9NcF4Go[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Dec 2012, 6:40 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
kxmode wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Nobody is dictating anything. I am simply conveying information about the celebration. What you do with it is your business.

No, what you're doing - which you try to do on every freaking holiday - is sh*****g on everyone else's fun by subtly accusing us of being bad people. If you don't like it, don't celebrate it - in the meantime, kindly shut up.

I'm simply telling people the truth about the holiday. What you do not like are its facts. The history of Christmas and its origins are well documented. In the words of Morpheus, "You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe." A lot of people prefer the blue pill even if they know the history of Christmas. In other words, as Cypher says, "Ignorance is bliss."

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:10 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
And for those who hate Christmas!! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy9q9NcF4Go[/youtube]

Ho Ho Ho that was funny as hell :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

meems
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:38 pm

Anyone else regressing to age 8 and sucking at dreidel? I lost all my gelt to a kid less than half my age. My sister gave me a bottle of Scotch on the first day of Hanukkah and said "Is this appropriate, or what?" I think she was making fun but my point is, a lot of holidays are fun, regardless of what you believe. I'm going to a Christmas party tonight!

Wheeee holidays!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:55 pm

kxmode wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
kxmode wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I'm simply telling people the truth about the holiday. What you do not like are its facts. The history of Christmas and its origins are well documented. In the words of Morpheus, "You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe." A lot of people prefer the blue pill even if they know the history of Christmas. In other words, as Cypher says, "Ignorance is bliss."

It's not that we doubt the paganistic origin of many Christmas traditions, it's just that we don't care. For Christians, we celebrate the birth of Christ, not paganism. For non-believers, Christmas is still a time of celebration. Nothing that you tell us is going to make us say: "Why, golly, I'm so wrong to celebrate such an evil holiday! I think I'm going to stop doing it, and join my nearest kingdom hall, so I can await the new world while I lead an empty, joyless existence!"

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2012, 9:14 pm

kxmode wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
kxmode wrote:
Fnord wrote:

As an atheist, I can safely say that I could not give less of a damn about the origins of Christmas except for fun historical reading. What I do care about is the family, fun, and togetherness of the modern celebration. If you want to stew in your hate and feel self-righteous, more power to you - but leave the rest of us the hell alone. Go push your misery and joylessness elsewhere.

Last edited by Lord_Gareth on 14 Dec 2012, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 9:31 pm

Quote:
I'm simply telling people the truth about the holiday.

Do you really think you're the only person who knows the history of Christmas? Here in the Politics, Philosophy, and RELIGION forum of Wrong Planet? :lmao: Surely you must know that is not the case. And if you know that we already know the history of Christmas, then your purpose must not be to inform us. Your purpose, as others have stated, is to puff yourself up with the idea that your religious views and practices are superior to those of others. And you must know THAT isn't going to go over well.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Dec 2012, 9:32 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
It's not that we doubt the paganistic origin of many Christmas traditions, it's just that we don't care.

What is this "we" thing? Being a Christian isn't some sort of Borg Collective. Christians are free to learn the history of the holidays they celebrate. I'd imagine there are many who wonder what does a decorated pine tree have to do with Jesus' birth, or why Jesus' birth is celebrated but gifts are exchanged with one another, or why parents tell their children there's a Santa Claus and that he brings them presents but in reality the gifts are purchased by the parents (at great financial expense)... and so forth. The first-century Beroeans didn't just take Paul's words at face value. They "carefully [examined] the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so." (Acts 17:10,11) And it reports "many of them became believers", because they put forth the effort to learn accurate truth. (Acts 17:12; 2 Timothy 2:25, 26)

Kraichgauer wrote:
For Christians, we celebrate the birth of Christ, not paganism. For non-believers, Christmas is still a time of celebration. Nothing that you tell us is going to make us say: "Why, golly, I'm so wrong to celebrate such an evil holiday! I think I'm going to stop doing it, and join my nearest kingdom hall, so I can await the new world while I lead an empty, joyless existence!"

If it bothers you so much you're more than welcome to ignore my Facts-About-Christmas post next year. (John 8:31, 32; Romans 10:13-15; Matthew 28:18-20)

Last edited by kxmode on 15 Dec 2012, 2:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Dec 2012, 9:43 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Do you really think you're the only person who knows the history of Christmas? Here in the Politics, Philosophy, and RELIGION forum of Wrong Planet? :lmao: Surely you must know that is not the case. And if you know that we already know the history of Christmas, then your purpose must not be to inform us. Your purpose, as others have stated, is to puff yourself up with the idea that your religious views and practices are superior to those of others. And you must know THAT isn't going to go over well.

There are over 70,000 members on this site. Don't you think it's a little bit arrogant to assume they all know the history of Christmas? If you know the history and you continue to engage in the activity, that's your decision, but I suspect there are many who do not know the history of Christmas. That's why I post every year. As far as I've seen this is an open forum about Religious things from both points of view; those who celebrate Christmas and those who do not because of its history. The moderators have been very fair with me by allowing me to post historical information about Christmas. If the information presented angers you I cannot help you other than to say don't read my posts.