Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 3:41 am

Not a folk hero.

For that you get a cape and mask, let no one know your secret identity, or your plan.

I think he went over the top even as an abusive ex cop. Doing worse than you are complaining about, to parties not directly involved, they were in the right to take his badge and gun.

From his manefesto, he thought well of himself, but did not hold others to the same standard.

He started it, he lost and could not let go.

His view of White Female Officers, then killing the daughter of the person who was supporting him, shows he had problems. The Navy thought the same.

He brought it on himself.

On /b/ there is his manefesto, "I am a Navy Seal who graduated at the top of my class with 150 confirmed kills, and I press 500 pounds and I know where you live..." The man was a joke before he started.

He is Mr. T out to clean up the LAPD.

All Police Forces weed out a lot of people. That he lasted two years shows they had some hope for him, he finished probation, then started attacking other officers over minor things.

He had to go. He showed his true colors on the way out.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 3:46 am

edit

Last edited by Inventor on 13 Feb 2013, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 3:51 am

Heard that, and hopefully is was an unsubstantiated rumor.

It seems that the first responders took accurate fire from a suppressed rifle; big mess on the ground trying to evacuate the wounded when the shooter's location wasn't known (unknown if he continued to fire on them -- he probably was). They figure that it's coming from the cabin; everyone unloads on it. After some time of firing, a small team assaults said cabin, but doesn't clear it; sees blood inside (most likely the shooter's). Then..., it's unclear what happens next. Supposedly a loudspeaker was used to call for his surrender, and they eventually launch several smoke grenades into the house (unknown what came first). House burns (appears to be their intent). They wait till the house and its basement has completely burnt down -- supposedly a body was found.

There's some footage of the police shooting up the smouldering building -- you don't hear any return fire, only the police shooting (doubt Dorner was using subsonic ammunition, as it'd be useless against soft armor; so you'd be hearing supersonic cracks around the officers if they were being shot at with a rifle).

One rather generic man really messed with them.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 5:03 am

I think the LAPD wanted Dorner dead ASAP, because the longer he stayed at large the more the media focused on the meme that the LAPD is corrupt -- which is a little ironic, since the LAPD has a long, well-known history of corruption. I.e. Rampart/CRASH, the "most widespread case of police corruption the history of the USA" according to WIkipedia. The sheriff in the movie "Unforgiven" was based on Chief Daryl Gates (1990's) -- has good intentions about keeping order, but is extremely violent/brutal in how he attempts to achieve it.

As reality is usually messy, I think there's probably no simple moral narrative of Dorner's and the LAPD's actions.

Dorner killed innocent people, though the badness of that might depend on who you identify with more. I.e. if you don't shed a tear for Marie Antoinette's fate then it might not seem so bad. Or, perhaps a drug lord's wife. The CIA's interrogations after 9/11 included kidnapping a suspected terrorist's wife and threatening to do awful things to her to get her husband to talk. John Yoo (law professor who provided the White House legal cover for torture) speculated (on tape) that crushing the testicles of a suspected terrorist's child in order to make the suspect talk would be legal. So, violating innocents is not something that is truly taboo, even on a national, legal level. So, if you identify with Dorner, then he's "sending a message" to those who are corrupt in the only way he could. If you don't ID with Dorner, then he's a terrorist a-hole who could've killed your friend/spouse/child."

Basically, the same as Isrealis vs. Palestinians. Pretty much everyone is on one side or another, and few are ever going to change sides.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 5:05 am

The video of the fight (a portion of it); I don't hear any return fire at all. Wait, exactly at 30 seconds you can hear a couple of "cracks" -- that seems like it is indeed incoming unless it's a police officer with a suppressed rifle. All the gunfire you hear other than that would be outgoing from automatic rifles for the most part.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMx0JcQO_to[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 5:13 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I think the LAPD wanted Dorner dead ASAP, because the longer he stayed at large the more the media focused on the meme that the LAPD is corrupt -- which is a little ironic, since the LAPD has a long, well-known history of corruption. I.e. Rampart/CRASH, the "most widespread case of police corruption the history of the USA" according to WIkipedia. The sheriff in the movie "Unforgiven" was based on Chief Daryl Gates (1990's) -- has good intentions about keeping order, but is extremely violent/brutal in how he attempts to achieve it.

As reality is usually messy, I think there's probably no simple moral narrative of Dorner's and the LAPD's actions.

Dorner killed innocent people, though the badness of that might depend on who you identify with more. I.e. if you don't shed a tear for Marie Antoinette's fate then it might not seem so bad. Or, perhaps a drug lord's wife. The CIA's interrogations after 9/11 included kidnapping a suspected terrorist's wife and threatening to do awful things to her to get her husband to talk. John Yoo (law professor who provided the White House legal cover for torture) speculated (on tape) that crushing the testicles of a suspected terrorist's child in order to make the suspect talk would be legal. So, violating innocents is not something that is truly taboo, even on a national, legal level. So, if you identify with Dorner, then he's "sending a message" to those who are corrupt in the only way he could. If you don't ID with Dorner, then he's a terrorist a-hole who could've killed your friend/spouse/child."

Basically, the same as Isrealis vs. Palestinians. Pretty much everyone is on one side or another, and few are ever going to change sides.

I'm sorry, but no matter how bad the LAPD's record on corruption has been, there is no justification for hurting innocent people. Very probably there was at the very least a degree of truth to what Dorner had said, but because he had died going on a murderous rampage - in order to clear his good name(!) - there may never be an opportunity for it to come out now.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Feb 2013, 11:53 am

Of course there is no justification for murdering innocent people and Dorner very likely was a sociopath but LAPD sort of proved what he was talking about. What they do and our government does is not so different.

There was no way Dorner was leaving that cabin or that mountain alive, they banned helicopter footage not for officer safety but to cover up what they were doing. They burned 76 men, women, and children alive in Waco so one cop killer in a cabin isn't nothing to them.

It is interesting seeing what one man can do vs the government. I wonder what 10 or 100 or a 1000 Dorners do? I fear there will be more incidences like this the further this country descends into economic hell and the more oppressive the police state becomes.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 1:21 pm

I knew this would happen.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMBFD3SrCHA[/youtube]

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 1:32 pm

Mentally unstable cop vs. trigger-happy scumbag cops. Who do I root for? Neither.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 1:49 pm

If Christopher Dorner becomes a folk hero, I'd be sad for those who adopted him as such. The LAPD has problems. All institutions do. But nothing justifies a revenge murder. Especially wrongful termination. Dorner had plenty of legal means to pursue his case if he alleged wrongful termination and was that sore about it.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 2:12 pm

Cops say; burn it down. Well, say what you want, Dorner pulled off the mask of American police exposing pure fascism.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNk-bV40XMc#![/youtube]

In fact, take this and the recent Kyle case and the reality of American fascism becomes so clearly in view...

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 4:44 pm

Some guy from the FBI is already trying to claim the recording is fake. Unfortunately for them, thousands of people heard it go down in real time and saved the original recording.

Also the LAPD claims they found Dorner's ID on the body they found, which is weird because... How did the ID survive the fire? That house was burned to the ground. Are California ID's fire proof? Also didn't they find his wallet in San Diego (LATimes Link)? To quote the article, "After authorities interviewed the boat captain early Thursday, they found Dorner's wallet and identification cards "at the San Ysidro Point of Entry" near the U.S.-Mexico border, according to the court records."

They found his ID's twice.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 6:52 pm

Is it me or does it seem as if somebody activated the "crazy alarm," calling forth the horde of lunatics?

Telekon
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2013, 6:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
They would not let him be abusive, insubordinate, and disrespectful. For that, he lost his job. THAT is a fact

Instead of dealing with it like a man, he decided to kill another man's daughter. THAT is a fact

He's no folk hero - shooting an innocent woman in the back because he lost his job is a cowardly act. THAT is a fact.

I'm glad he's dead. THAT is a fact

Deal with it.

I agree. He hasn't done anything heroic. He was a maniac.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 7:20 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
As I recall, Dorner had threatened to indiscriminately kill not only LAPD officers, but also their families. Not every cop in L.A. had allegedly wronged him, and the family members certainly did not.

He threatened, and he did. His first two victims were the son of an LAPD captain, and the son's fiance. He was mad at the Captain because the captain apparently was trying to prevent him from being fired, but was unsuccessful. For this he shot the Captain's relatives, who were completely un-involved in anything to do with Dorner before this. Even if the Captain somehow wronged him (its hard to see how, unless the Captain tanked Dorner's hearing on purpose), the Captain did not deserve to die, and certainly not his relatives who had nothing to do with it.

Those murders are the act of a coward, not a hero. Taking one's own life when finally confronted, as Dorner apparently did, is also a cowardly act. Anyone who considers this man a hero is deeply misguided.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 7:25 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
As I recall, Dorner had threatened to indiscriminately kill not only LAPD officers, but also their families. Not every cop in L.A. had allegedly wronged him, and the family members certainly did not.

He threatened, and he did. His first two victims were the son of an LAPD captain, and the son's fiance. He was mad at the Captain because the captain apparently was trying to prevent him from being fired, but was unsuccessful. For this he shot the Captain's relatives, who were completely un-involved in anything to do with Dorner before this. Even if the Captain somehow wronged him (its hard to see how, unless the Captain tanked Dorner's hearing on purpose), the Captain did not deserve to die, and certainly not his relatives who had nothing to do with it.

Those murders are the act of a coward, not a hero. Taking one's own life when finally confronted, as Dorner apparently did, is also a cowardly act. Anyone who considers this man a hero is deeply misguided.

Amen, misguided indeed.